Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Online Itinerary Now Shows Checked Bags Under Seat Number (buggy?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Itinerary Now Shows Checked Bags Under Seat Number (buggy?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
I noticed this yesterday for the first time as well. It showed 3 checked bags for me for a purely domestic non-stop economy flight. Then I applied some plus points to waitlist for first, and after adding me to the waitlist, it now shows 6 checked bags. I'm guessing the logic is a little glitched and it is assigning me up to 3 bags for the booked segment and 3 for the waitlisted first segment.
n8-the-gr8 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by asquare
I noticed this yesterday for the first time as well. It showed 3 checked bags for me for a purely domestic non-stop economy flight. Then I applied some plus points to waitlist for first, and after adding me to the waitlist, it now shows 6 checked bags. I'm guessing the logic is a little glitched and it is assigning me up to 3 bags for the booked segment and 3 for the waitlisted first segment.
my thoughts exactly
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Silja
Mine shows that too- correctly shows 3 checked bag (economy, 3 pax on PNR).
If you click on the blue "3 checked bags" it then brings you to the bag page where it lists the free bag and you can purchase extra.
Yeah, my current reservation for weekend travel to the SF Bay Area from Portland shows 3 check bags as well: Funny, I'm just taking a carry-on and my backpack.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

My no-status son's itin shows a link with Bags "Prepay and Save"
Old Jul 10, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My Mar 2022 itinerary to Japan shows 20 checked bags
Xyzzy and MileTrek like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gokeeper
My Mar 2022 itinerary to Japan shows 20 checked bags
You should buy 20 lotto tickets before your trip. You are a lotto winner for the number of bags.
SPN Lifer and dilanesp like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Noticed something new when looking at trip details on the website. Each segment has a "X checked bags" entry now. Numbers are not consistent, and not sure what it is actually supposed to mean.
I rarely check a bag, and this was showing before I checked into the flights. Both mainline and UAX.
Anyone else seeing them?
Thoughts?

Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I checked in for FRA-EWR the ther day and was offered I think 12 or 15 bags per passenger. For grins I went to the next screen to see the cost and the result was some strange string like, "$n0n" regardless of the number of bags I chose. Clearly this functionality still needs work.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Are baggage benefits now stackable or is this a bug? I just checked a reservation and see the baggage indicator icon showing I have 5 free bags allowed on a domestic flight in economy. When I click that baggage link the detail screen says 3 bags for being Premier Silver and 2 bags for being a Pres Plus cardholder.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2021 at 12:26 pm Reason: moved
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
Are baggage benefits now stackable or is this a bug? ....
pretty sure a bug
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So... uhhhhhhh... Looking at my trip this weekend... With Ms. LincolnJKC (no status)

Outbound (CLE-ORD in Y on UA, ORD-FRA in J on LH, FRA-GVA in "J" on LX) shows the number of bags I expect -- 6 (2x3)...The return (GVA-LHR in "J" on LX, LHR-IAD in J on UA, IAD-CLE in Y on UA) shows 10 ... I'm not sure what could possibly generate that number. We do have connections long enough in both LHR and IAD that could conceivably be called stopovers but wouldn't the correct math then be 12 bags if it were treating the allowances separatly

Interestingly the summary shows "GlobalFirst", won't let me actually choose 10 bags for the return, and when I select the maximum for each passenger I get the "total" price of $NaN, not to mention the still wonderfully English "will may receive up to one or more bags..." for both

Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
An unknown website bug always says I am eligible for six bags or more. Anyways, if I could, I would be happy to transfer my free bags to those in need...haha...
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
An unknown website bug always says I am eligible for six bags or more. Anyways, if I could, I would be happy to transfer my free bags to those in need...haha...
I recently had a reservation (after a schedule change) showing I was allowed 9 checked bags!
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Are you WL for any segments (including but not limited to applying PP that haven't cleared)? I've noticed a couple times now that a Y booking will display fine for me (e.g. 3 bags for each segment) if PP have not been applied but once PP are applied it jumps to 6 per segment almost like it's adding the allowance for the confirmed segment and the allowance for the waitlisted segment.

Not that that really matters because it's a bug no matter the root cause but at least a possible explanation for the buggy behavior.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I upgraded a segment with PPs (intl trip) and it shows that I get 3 checked bags. I have no idea if that's right but it doesn't matter as I'll be using carry-on. But when I click on the three bag link it shows me the following:

Premier® 1K ®

For this trip, the Premier 1K member and companions traveling on the same reservation will may receive up to one or more checked bags free, up to 70 lbs. and 62 inches (total L + W + H) per bag.*

Well, which is it? Will or may??? Talk about horribly ambiguous wording. And is that one additional bag over the 3 it already tells me I get? And on the same page if I want to select bags under each flight it's attempting to charge me $200 *per bag* whether I select 1 or 6 ($200 to $1200).

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.