Wiki Posts
Search

Bag Drop Time - Delayed Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Bag Drop Time - Delayed Flight

Does the 45 minute domestic bag drop time refer to the original departure time or any rescheduled departure time? Basically, with the understanding that things can change etc. etc. can I show up to check my bag an hour later than the original time for a flight that's been delayed by an hour?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The delay message from United used to stated that you should still check-in by original scheduled time (because as you mentioned they may be able to shorten the delay).

What did you delay message state?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The delay message from United used to stated that you should still check-in by original scheduled time (because as you mentioned they may be able to shorten the delay).

What did you delay message state?

Just a hypothetical question - flying thru DEN tomorrow which seems like quite a mess right now and I am expecting a delay and would prefer not to wait at airport if I don't have to.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
Does the 45 minute domestic bag drop time refer to the original departure time or any rescheduled departure time? Basically, with the understanding that things can change etc. etc. can I show up to check my bag an hour later than the original time for a flight that's been delayed by an hour?
I can tell you from experience that once the delay is posted in UA's system, it becomes the new departure time for everything involving the computer, including bag drop. This is the case even if the previous cut-off time had already passed (i.e., if they bump the flight from 4:30 to 5:30 at 4:05, the check-in and bag check windows reopen).

However, it isn't uncommon for UA to wait until the last possible moment to post a delay. Also, they really do move flight times back up, even after posting a delay. They don't do it frequently, but it has happened. (I've been on a flight where it happened, and I saw it happen to a flight a relative was on earlier this week).
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
Basically, with the understanding that things can change etc. etc. can I show up to check my bag an hour later than the original time for a flight that's been delayed by an hour?
You will have to bear all the risks in this case.

Just because a flight has been delayed, it does not mean all operations are delayed, i.e. UA can still close the flight and have all passengers to wait for the delay.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
However, it isn't uncommon for UA to wait until the last possible moment to post a delay. Also, they really do move flight times back up, even after posting a delay. They don't do it frequently, but it has happened. (I've been on a flight where it happened, and I saw it happen to a flight a relative was on earlier this week).
This. I and my wife can give personal experience…more than once. The first time this happened, way back in the PMUA days, we decided to take the time to enjoy one more nice meal in downtown Chicago. Until the two hour delay went back to on time mid-meal, and we rushed to pack up dinner to go and got in acab instead of on the L. She ran and was the last one onboard, she let me know later. I think at the time they even had a 10 or 12 point list of commitments, one of which was they wouldn't roll back delays🙄.

suffice it to say, we never tried that kind of thing again.
jsloan, uanj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I know in our small outstation they still cutoff check in and take airport control on time - to prvent the corporate people from doing anything to the flight without calling - that also means that they can't issue bag tags in the normal manner - it means they have to issue like you are checking them in at the gate - I mean in reality it is no different, but it is an extra step and they can certainly deny you if they want.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just got an email from United saying my flight this evening is delayed. They delayed it 6 hours before departure which is fantastic. First time in many years I've gotten a proactive delay notification. However, the email says absolutely nothing about the baggage check-in time (and it won't matter to me this trip as I'm not checking a bag).

As many on FT will tell you, it's best to err on the side of caution. United may (and can) deny your baggage check if you check in after the original cut off time of the flight regardless of how ridiculous the rule is. Most agents may not give you an issue but the kiosk may prevent you from checking a bag. Just last year I missed baggage check-in cut off time by 4 minutes because of a late arriving bus to IAD. The Premier Access agent overrode it and printed me a tag without problem. But this was an on-time flight.

-RM
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just got an email from United saying my flight this evening is delayed. They delayed it 6 hours before departure which is fantastic. First time in many years I've gotten a proactive delay notification. However, the email says absolutely nothing about the baggage check-in time (and it won't matter to me this trip as I'm not checking a bag).

As many on FT will tell you, it's best to err on the side of caution. United may (and can) deny your baggage check if you check in after the original cut off time of the flight regardless of how ridiculous the rule is. Most agents may not give you an issue but the kiosk may prevent you from checking a bag. Just last year I missed baggage check-in cut off time by 4 minutes because of a late arriving bus to IAD. The Premier Access agent overrode it and printed me a tag without problem. But this was an on-time flight.

-RM
And that reminds me of another story back in the day. Wasn't a delay, but wife was trying to go through EWR security in the very early days of mobile BPs - this was with CO. She had a T-mobile Dash device, and for whatever reason....I think it was bad screen resolution....the TSA couldn't read the barcode. She went back to the kiosk so she could get a printed BP, but because she had just missed the check in window, the kiosk wouldn't give her one...even though she was already checked in. I remember us trying to flag down an agent, which took a few minutes but agent was able to print it. Thankfully, everyone's devices and mobile BPs are much better these days.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I know in our small outstation they still cutoff check in and take airport control on time - to prvent the corporate people from doing anything to the flight without calling - that also means that they can't issue bag tags in the normal manner - it means they have to issue like you are checking them in at the gate - I mean in reality it is no different, but it is an extra step and they can certainly deny you if they want.
Yes, that's fair. I was speaking specifically of the kiosks. And, you're right, if the flight is under gate control, I think check-in can be locked out via the kiosks also. However, you should be able to get an agent to override that pretty easily if the delay has been posted.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Had my flight canceled, un-canceled and departed on time. Drop your bag off at the delayed time at your own risk.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, that's fair. I was speaking specifically of the kiosks. And, you're right, if the flight is under gate control, /b I think check-in can be locked out via the kiosks also./b However, you should be able to get an agent to override that pretty easily if the delay has been posted.
It locks it out from everything - Kiosks, app,1K line etc
Check in counter or gate agent can of course bypass it, but once under airport control no one can mess with it
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:34 pm

I think the summary here is that if the delay has officially posted, you can check bags until 45 minutes before the currently-posted departure time.

There is a risk that the flight will be moved back up. But if stays delayed, you can bag drop until T-45 of the new time.

Correct?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
If there is an oversold situation, like at turkey day, they can and will offload you if you don't check-in/get your bags deposited before the original cutoff time.

Don't ask how my wife knows about this. Would they do it to a 1k? Perhaps not. But given loads today.... I'm not sure I would chance it.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
If there is an oversold situation, like at turkey day, they can and will offload you if you don't check-in/get your bags deposited before the original cutoff time.
I'm assuming a situation where you check in at T-24h online. They don't know that you have bags, so they can't offload you for "not getting your bags deposited". Flight is delayed 6 hours, posted the night before and does not change. You show up at T-2h from new time with bags. I find it highly unlikely they won't take them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.