Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Chase MP Credit Cards purchase PQP Questions - tracking spend,when posted,...

General Chase MP Credit Cards purchase PQP Questions - tracking spend,when posted,...

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 22, 6:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Earning Premier qualifying credit with your co-branded MileagePlus credit card
For the 2021 program year, MileagePlus members who are also primary UnitedSM MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers are eligible to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on their annual credit card spend.
  • New in 2021 Earn toward Premier 1K status: Members can now apply PQP earned through co-branded MileagePlus credit cards toward Premier 1K status. Cardmembers must meet the Premier qualifying flight (PQF) requirement for 1K status. Cardmembers with the UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to Premier 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement.
  • Earn up to 1,000 PQP: The UnitedSM Explorer Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus Awards Card, United MileagePlus Card with annual fee, UnitedSM Business Card, and United MileagePlus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year.
  • Earn up to 3,000 PQP: The United MileagePlus Select Card, United ClubSM Infinite Card, United ClubSM Card, and United QuestSM Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year.
  • Earn up to 10,000 PQP: The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year.
  • Maximum of 5,000 PQP: The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year is 5,000 PQP per MileagePlus account. PQP earned from the UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card are excluded from this cap.
  • The United GatewaySM Card and United MileagePlus Card with no annual fee do not earn PQP for card spend.
  • All eligible Cardmembers must take a minimum of 4 flights on United or United Express to be eligible for Premier status.
  • All PQP earned on eligible card spend and Flex PQP can be applied up to Platinum. For the 2021 program year, Flex PQP will continue to be applied up to Platinum status, while the card-earned PQP can be applied to 1K status if the Cardmember meets the PQF requirement for 1K. Cardmembers with UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement for 1K.
United TravelBank Cardmembers do not earn PQP for card spend.
The TravelBank card is now the Gateway card
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 22, 2:19 pm

Programs: United
It looks like 1k max for the Business card...... was pondering paying part of my taxes with it/them....
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst View Post
It looks like 1k max for the Business card...... was pondering paying part of my taxes with it/them....
Correct.
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:28 pm

obviously a balance between the fees vs benefits
$24,000 on 1 card will get you 1k PQP and 24000 points - but cost about $500 in processing fees (but those are tax deductible)
... I am not sure if these types of payments count towards "spent" on new card bonuses.......

anyone have thoughts on this approach?
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

I recently paid estimated taxes and had no issue getting the 500 pqp nor the welcome bonus
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst View Post
... anyone have thoughts on this approach?
folks have been doing this for a very long time, generally discussed in the Chase forum (search on federal taxes yields dozen of threads)

Remember those PQPs can only be used for 1K status when meeting the PQF requirement, not the PQP only option.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
...Remember those PQPs can only be used for 1K status when meeting the PQF requirement, not the PQP only option.
I just got my renewal letter (see below) with the new $525 annual fee. I notice that the reference to PQPs (up to 4000 PQPs) doesn't say anything about meeting the PQF requirements (including in the fine print). Is this different from the current program restriction? There's no reference on their Web site either

Last edited by tarheelnj; Jul 5, 22 at 7:56 pm
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I just got my renewal letter (see below) with the new $525 annual fee. I notice that the reference to PQPs (up to 4000 PQPs) doesn't say anything about meeting the PQF requirements (including in the fine print). Is this different from the current program restriction? There's no reference on their Web site either

The limitation is only for 1K (and not for Presidential Plus cards)
Earn toward Premier 1K status in 2022: Members can now apply PQP earned through co-branded MileagePlus credit cards toward Premier 1K status.

Cardmembers must meet the Premier qualifying flight (PQF) requirement for 1K status. Cardmembers with the United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to Premier 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 22 at 8:07 pm Reason: removed image with personal info
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:34 pm

Timing of 12,000 Spend for PQP

So now that 12K for chase spend counts for PQP, I am thinking about timing. If I already made 1K this hear is this the best plan...

Check all chase United cards and call them to see how far along you are since your last $12K spend. Assuming as an example you are $9,000 in. Then is it best to spend another $2,900 to get you to $11,900 and stop using the card. Then on Jan 4, spend another $500 and get your 500 PQP in 2023?
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jrquad View Post
So now that 12K for chase spend counts for PQP, I am thinking about timing. If I already made 1K this hear is this the best plan...

Check all chase United cards and call them to see how far along you are since your last $12K spend. Assuming as an example you are $9,000 in. Then is it best to spend another $2,900 to get you to $11,900 and stop using the card. Then on Jan 4, spend another $500 and get your 500 PQP in 2023?
Sorry, spend resets every calendar year, just like earnings 1/1/20xx -- all zeros. No carryover
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Sorry, spend resets every calendar year, just like earnings 1/1/20xx -- all zeros. No carryover
Thanks for quick reply. It looks like I will earn some Marriott points for the rest of the year and then jump back to United cards Jan 1.
Old Jul 5, 22, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jrquad View Post
.... Check all chase United cards and call them to see how far along you are since your last $12K spend. Assuming as an example you are $9,000 in. Then is it best to spend another $2,900 to get you to $11,900 and stop using the card. Then on Jan 4, spend another $500 and get your 500 PQP in 2023?
And the balance is separate for each card, not accumulative across all cards.
Old Aug 25, 22, 1:25 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
How do I determining net spending on my card? Do I just do year to date transactions when I am looking at my account? What about returns and interest charges?
Old Aug 25, 22, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
How do I determining net spending on my card? Do I just do year to date transactions when I am looking at my account? What about returns and interest charges?
Net calendar charges without card fees, cash withdraws and a few other non-purchase items
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
interest wouldnt count, nor would returns.

Chase actually has a dashboard for year-to-date (or by calendar month and previous year) spending which actually makes this pretty easy. If you login to the Chase website, click into the card account and in the more menu, select spending report. Youll get a graph which will default to your year-to-date spending, and it will show by category as well. Youll probably have to manually take out any fees like any Interest and AF. Returns should essentially be included in the total since those will show up as negatives. Just not sure, if youve used the GoPuff credit if that will come out of the total used for this or not.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 7:45 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I have 3250 CC PQP which I believe 750 or so were from the bonus PQP offer in Q2. Am I correct in assuming I can still earn another 500PQP before I reach limit on the Quest card? 3000 + 750 bonus.
?

Search this Thread