Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

You don't know how good UA is until you fly another airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I've a MM with UA and done countless trips with at least a dozen severe IRROPS (i.e. delayed more than 6 hours and often overnight). All were handled professionally and often netted me 10s of thousands of miles not to mention eCerts of hundreds of dollars at least.

I just flew South West and got caught up with their debacle due to a 3rd party vendor not providing weather packets that grounded the entire fleet. Major differences with how UA treat you.

a) UA gives you over night accommodation and meals vouchers, WN does not.
b) UA will put you on another carriers metal WN will not.
c) UA will not try to BS their customers (too much). WN because their customers are mainly kettles will ("Of course they are going to hold the plan for you")
d) UA (at least with someone with status) handsomely compensate you, WN does not.
e) UA has for the most part good procedures for handling IRROPs WN does not. The GA told a whole bunch of people their bags would be at the baggage claim and we had to claim them and recheck them (of course they won't)

So UA is not perfect, but its a lot better (for statused individuals at least) than WN.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrCheapo
I've a MM with UA and done countless trips with at least a dozen severe IRROPS (i.e. delayed more than 6 hours and often overnight). All were handled professionally and often netted me 10s of thousands of miles not to mention eCerts of hundreds of dollars at least.

I just flew South West and got caught up with their debacle due to a 3rd party vendor not providing weather packets that grounded the entire fleet. Major differences with how UA treat you.

c) UA will not try to BS their customers (too much). WN because their customers are mainly kettles will ("Of course they are going to hold the plan for you")
d) UA (at least with someone with status) handsomely compensate you, WN does not.
e) UA has for the most part good procedures for handling IRROPs WN does not. The GA told a whole bunch of people their bags would be at the baggage claim and we had to claim them and recheck them (of course they won't)

So UA is not perfect, but its a lot better (for statused individuals at least) than WN.
I think these are a lot of conclusions to draw from one poor trip experience.

For a few months I have been flying AS, AA and DL quite a bit more recently due to UA's high fares and heavily cut schedule. I have much more experience with UA and do feel more at home with them. But so far no catastrophes, and beside that even occasionally I have had terrible IRROPs service with UA. So I would say none of those items are universally true or generalizable.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
That is why I avoid WN, Frontier or Spirit if I can. In the event of an IRROPS, you are pretty much on your own. The majors have more alternatives and interline agreements. But I still know a lot of people who will fly them just to save a few dollars.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It all depends.....

For me, at least, I would not draw conclusion based on one WN trip versus fly one million+ miles on United.

When experiencing irregular operations, having elite status helps/
I fly United mostly for its schedule, routes and its loyalty program now I am a lifetime GS.

Would I pick United over Singapore and Austrian (my two favorite airlines for total premium cabin experience) or Turkish, EVA on competing international routes, not likely.
FabCW and United747 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
... Would I pick United over Singapore and Austrian (my two favorite airlines for total premium cabin experience) or Turkish, EVA on competing international routes, not likely.
Is that based on sitting in the back?
Premium cabin folks get handle well by many carriers, economy passengers are not so well handled in difficult situations.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Would I pick United over Singapore and Austrian (my two favorite airlines for total premium cabin experience) or Turkish, EVA on competing international routes, not likely.
No, but for short hops on discount domestic airlines, the OP’s experience is typical (though WN is not always very discount).
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I'm definitely not a United fanboy. But I acknowledge that

1) United has by far the best app and online booking. I was just trying to do something today on Lufthansa's site -- what crap!
2) United's service is vastly better than American's, as well as that of most discount carriers

United's service is vastly inferior to Delta's, Alaska's, and just about any foreign carrier's (including some of the discount carriers like Air Asia)
22H and PilgrimsProgress like this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jun 19, 2021 at 8:49 am
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I fly with UA and other airlines all the time, and I don't share the sentiment of the OP at all.

There are a lot of factors judging an airline, but personally, I wouldn't basing it on one event/trip. Also, there are can be huge difference when you have status vs. when you don't (acknowledged by the OP).
Spanish and ORDnHKG like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While I have to agree that one WN experience really is not a basis for meaningful comparison, I also must say that UA has done quite well at getting me from A to B, on time and with no drama, during the covid era. It's also very easy to book and make changes via the UA app, that's become a real differentiator. I've hardly had to speak with a UA agent, which really just affirms the quality of the app.

AA and DL have both caused me headaches, AA with poor service and horrid domestic F seats. DL with its unreachable cs. Both with their crappy IT. AS I like best of all but they offer limited options flying out of PHX/SFO.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Someone flying UA without status or even MP membership would experience pretty much the same result that you had on WN.
ORDnHKG, Daze and Spanish like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:01 pm

As others have said, not a fair comparison (non-status vs status).

For non-status travelers, I’d argue WN is better than the more realistic option of UA basic economy.
Daze, ORDnHKG and trooper like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
So I would say none of those items are universally true or generalizable.
WN will not put you on another airline. They do not have any interline agreements to allow that.

UA might not put you on another airline anyway, but at least they can. And I have personally been re-accommodated on both AA and DL by UA.

That's a major reason that I almost never fly WN, although the lack of any way to guarantee an extra-legroom seat is, admittedly, a more important one.
Dublin_rfk, Artpen100 and seat38a like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

How about an apples to apples comparison, where WN is better than UA:

a) No Basic Economy
b) No change/cancel fees, telephone ticketing fees
c) No checked baggage fees, meaning also no fighting over overhead bin space
ORDnHKG, Daze, anteater and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like you I’m a 1MM on UA. I’ve also flown many many other airlines. UA is decidedly middle of the road. It’s unfair to compare WN during an incredibly unusual situation to UA normal operations.

I’ve had horrible experiences on BA and CX but I recognized that they were one offs and I still would rather fly either airline instead of UA if given the choice. Sometimes s*** happens, if you fly enough it’s gonna happen to you, c’est la vie.
ORDnHKG and FabCW like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
the lack of any way to guarantee an extra-legroom seat is, admittedly, a more important one.
And the absolute guaranty you will be sitting six across. As soon as WN stopped blocking their aircraft at 2/3 full, I stopped flying them. I've had more armrest battles on WN than all other carriers combined.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.