Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA summer fares have significantly increased, will that continue into the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA summer fares have significantly increased, will that continue into the future?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've got a trip later this month and I think that'll be it for me except a couple of OGG-HNL jaunts until school's back in session and the madness abates. With UA's Premier promotions, I can take a couple of months off. With a lot of int'l destinations hard to visit (or just starting to open). it's a boon for the domestic routes this summer. I've never seen so many wide-bodies (I'm talking planes) flying in and out of OGG.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Circa 2019, when UA had 8+ flights per day every day on SFO-EWR and LAX-EWR _each_ and 4 SFO-BOS as well as 5+ SFO-IAD _and_ 5+ LAX-IAD, 21 day advance Y- purchases in the $300+ range were quite common.

Now, UA's flying half the number of flights.

The seats and the same prices aren't there right now.

David
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

High fares is not unique to UA. With my INTL travel restarting I've been looking at foreign carriers and UA BULK Business fares.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Every route I'm booking thru October, UA is super premium Econ pricing vs. other carriers. For work trips in Jul/Aug, UA is running ~$200 premium to AA so of course I'm forced to book AA. For personal travel looking at DFW to PHX and DFW - MCO for late Sep thru Oct, UA is similarly running ~$200+ vs. AA or WN. For example, for DFW to MCO late Sep/early Oct Fri PM departure and Monday AM return, I can book WN for $198 r/t or AA for $298 r/t for non-basic economy. While with UA it's consistently running around $598 (and up) for non-basic Econ equivalent. I'd spring for $50 maybe $100 premium for UA, but when it's reaching $200+ AND connecting vs. nonstop flights like AA and WN, it becomes prohibitive. Never seen UA this bad into Fall travel. I'd expect COVID pricing impact to be similar issue across the majors but not playing out that way. Going to keep eye out but if it continues, sadly will have to bite the bullet and move long-term to AA.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BOSskier
And don't get me started on United selling "Business" fares on 737s for $1k+ one way
What annoys me is that we had booked a lie-flat 752 and it recently (and without notice) got swapped for a 7M9.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:07 pm
Suspended

I fly regularly between NYC and BOS to take care of my mother on weekends -- prices have doubled in the past few months -- of course they only have three flights a day now and they are always packed -- so they can charge what they want... I used to pay around $300 and upgraded (sometimes) -- now its double....
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What annoys me is that we had booked a lie-flat 752 and it recently (and without notice) got swapped for a 7M9.
Which last I checked don't have personal TVs...I hope my dad and his wife bring good reading material because good luck teaching them how to stream something while flying. Although I guess I will have 5 1/2 hours to give it a go
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Which last I checked don't have personal TVs...I hope my dad and his wife bring good reading material because good luck teaching them how to stream something while flying. Although I guess I will have 5 1/2 hours to give it a go
Correct on no Video screens on 7M9
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what the dynamic is (insufficient capacity?), but the BOS fares from the west have been particularly high. Like, "forget about it" high. NYC you can still find deals (I've just done SFO-JFK-PHX in J on AA/DL (all lie flats) for $635 + 43,000 DL miles). But not BOS.
AA, DL and B6 have more flights from Boston so much better options and lower fares than UA. And lie-flats to SFO/LAX on DL and B6!
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Hey, I have a 7 hours+ trip on the Max9 (IAH-ANC) in August. Ironically, the fare was REALLY cheap (IAH to ANC is just one of 5 segments the trip. Also ironically, the shortest segment on the trip is scheduled to be flown on a wide body (Polaris configured with Premium Plus seats but selectable as Economy Plus) - go figure.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Hey, I have a 7 hours+ trip on the Max9 (IAH-ANC) in August. Ironically, the fare was REALLY cheap (IAH to ANC is just one of 5 segments the trip. Also ironically, the shortest segment on the trip is scheduled to be flown on a wide body (Polaris configured with Premium Plus seats but selectable as Economy Plus) - go figure.
7 hours+? For once a contest I don't mind losing!!

I realize it has been communicated ad nauseum here, but using the Google Flights' multi-city search has been a lifesaver as of recent as it systemically builds less expensive itineraries than UA's website. And often, many routings are the exact same, with others not even presented if searching directly via United.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
7 hours+? For once a contest I don't mind losing!!

I realize it has been communicated ad nauseum here, but using the Google Flights' multi-city search has been a lifesaver as of recent as it systemically builds less expensive itineraries than UA's website. And often, many routings are the exact same, with others not even presented if searching directly via United.
Using united.com to search for the cheapest fares has never ever worked. Not now or in the past. It is not in UA's interest to show you the cheapest option.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 7:40 am

Post COVID Pricing

Is it just me are as things have picked up the prices have sky rocketed? Looking at LGA/EWR-ORD flights and cant seem to find anything under $700 right now. Pre COVID i could do this flight for $250-300-- or I could fly out of HPN for $500. Tons of flights over $1k.

Is this due to staffing shortages/not enough flights to meet demand?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
Is it just me are as things have picked up the prices have sky rocketed? Looking at LGA/EWR-ORD flights and cant seem to find anything under $700 right now. Pre COVID i could do this flight for $250-300-- or I could fly out of HPN for $500. Tons of flights over $1k.

Normal peak summer season flying + less planes (less capacity) + higher demand = generally higher pricing.

Maybe try another airline, adjust your time of flying?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687

I remember when you could do LGA-ORD for $200 r/t!

When are you looking for? There’s another thread on summer pricing, seeing the same kind of high pricing. For me, I’m near SFO/SJC, and seeing high pricing as well - >$300 SFO-LAX/SaN/PHX through July and August. I thought $500 to ORD was high, until I read your experience. I’ve looked other carriers as well - in some instances, AA is a bit cheaper on some routes, but mostly UA is pretty on par with what I’ve seen with others. Mostly this is likely due to pent up demand and supply that hasn’t caught up. At least on many of the not as prime nonstop routes I’m looking at, many of them don’t even return until November.

At least where I’ve looked, pricing seems to be closer to normal after Labor Day. I think any traveling well do by plane will wait until the fall - and any travel For summer will be road trips. We are 4, so these high prices x 4 just ain’t feasible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.