Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.

Mods: I can't find a thread that exactly fits this situation, but please feel free to move if there is already an existing discussion on this.

I am seeing quite a few flights particularly on 777-200, where PP seats are sold as E+ but on a PP route -- in this case, LAX - EWR. An example is UA 460 this coming Saturday (6/12).

I am aware that there are no additional perks other than the seat, but it is still very tempting to grab one of those seats. What are the odds that I will be bumped:

-- If the flight is just a few days away?
-- If the flight is weeks away?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Mods: I can't find a thread that exactly fits this situation, but please feel free to move if there is already an existing discussion on this.

I am seeing quite a few flights particularly on 777-200, where PP seats are sold as E+ but on a PP route -- in this case, LAX - EWR. An example is UA 460 this coming Saturday (6/12).

I am aware that there are no additional perks other than the seat, but it is still very tempting to grab one of those seats. What are the odds that I will be bumped:

-- If the flight is just a few days away?
-- If the flight is weeks away?
Your profile indicates you as UA Gold. Gold members can select E+ at booking; there is no bumping needed.

If you are looking to travel on the flight this weekend, book it now. Cheapest fare is currently $689 (E fare bucket already, soon approaching Y/B/M) one-way. Business cabin looks fully sold out.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Your profile indicates you as UA Gold. Gold members can select E+ at booking; there is no bumping needed.
The problem is that this is a PP route, so there is a chance (and it has happened before) that UA decides to sell those seats as PP and bump everyone who has those seat randomly to other seats.

The fact that these seats are sold as E+ is somewhat of a mystery.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The problem is that this is a PP route, so there is a chance (and it has happened before) that UA decides to sell those seats as PP and bump everyone who has those seat randomly to other seats.

Anything's possible with UA, but unlikely, especially this close to departure date. There aren't enough normal E+ seats available to accommodate all of the ones currently with a seat assignment in rows 20-22.

A more logical explanation - this flight was going to be a non-Polaris 772 bird (no PP), but it is scheduled to be a Polarized 772 bird (has PP) now.

Also, this is not a PP route per se. There are planes with PP seats, but there are planes on this route w/o PP seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Repooc17; Jun 10, 2021 at 9:48 pm
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Simply means UA is not willing to commit it will fly an aircraft with PremiumPlus -- UA may or may not. The decision is still open.

It is less likely if the flight is reasonable near term, that UA will make a switch to selling PremiumPlus.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Adding a data point - originally booked EWR-LAX on a 787-8 for 1 July, with P+ seat as E+. On 23 June, the seats were converted to P+, bumping everyone in the section, including myself, into economy, and I ended up in an Economy Preferred seat due to limited number of E+ seats on this aircraft. I ended up cancelling the reservation and switch to a flight ex-JFK instead, with cheaper P+ fare and larger availability for business class upgrade.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by PTahCha; Jun 25, 2021 at 8:52 am
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
-- If the flight is just a few days away? Less likely, because the decision to add a class of service (and thus bump pax out of P+ seats sold as E+) is usually made at the time of filing a schedule, 4-6+ weeks out. Of course, this is not a guarantee, but generally speaking is the case. Caveat emptor, because there are counterexamples ^^^

-- If the flight is weeks away? More likely, for the same reason.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Adding a data point - originally booked EWR-LAX on a 787-8 for 1 July, with P+ seat as E+. On 23 June, the seats were converted to P+, bumping everyone in the seat, including myself, into economy, and I ended up in an Economy Preferred seat due to limited number of E+ seats on this aircraft. I ended up cancelling the reservation and switch to a flight ex-JFK instead, with cheaper P+ fare and larger availability for business class upgrade.
Thanks for the new data. That is exactly my concern -- that if those seats are converted back to PP, I could be bumped to an undesirable seat in E- because E+ is already full (or all the good E+ seats have already been taken.)

I just checked the flight in early July that I have been following (777-200) and saw that those seats have also been converted to PP. In contrast, several flights have departed in the last two weeks with PP seats sold as E+.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:09 pm

I saw a lot of this especially several months ago when schedules were more uncertain. I fly a lot of EWR-SFO and always look for the new polaris config flights. Sometimes, the PP seats were available as E+ and I could reserve it at time of booking. As other posters have mentioned, I think it's because they didn't want to commit to having a PP plane just yet, so left them as E+ seats. FWIW, it worked out well for me: 2/2 times that I did this, the flight remained a 777 and I got to fly in the PP seat :-) But of course that's not a guarantee that it will always work.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
dont know if this fits this exactly - but im traveling SFO - EWR this week and they swapped the 77w (or 78x) i cant remember to an awful 767-400er.

I paid for Prem Plus and when the equip got swapped i got downgraded to Econ+ since there is no PP product on that bird.

I had to call in and get my refund/adjustment, but had to do it manually.

Maybe the system is buggy on a Sunday because when I went to do a dummy booking, it still showed a 77w with Pp being sold even though i know for sure its a767-400er with no PP
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Similar experience on UA85 for this week on Aug. 5 from TLV-EWR. I'm booked in Premium plus, and was just checking the seat maps for my kids seats and I see that Premium Plus is now listed as Economy Plus. Not sure why, as the incoming flight seatmap still shows the 787-10 with Premium Plus. I'm thinking that there will still 7 PP seats unsold and they decided to open it up to people as economy plus upgrades. If that's all it is, it worked great for me as I got my two kids PP seats for just $150 each.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:48 pm

E+ subscription and Premium Plus seats

Are subscription holders allowed to select the Premium plus seats at no cost? Any chance that these get bumped closer to the flight?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nepats
Are subscription holders allowed to select the Premium plus seats at no cost? Any chance that these get bumped closer to the flight?

Thanks!
Only if the seats are not sold as Premium Plus - for instance on some of the Hawaii to West Coast flights. Otherwise, no.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:06 pm

Interesting. I was able to select those seats on my flight that's in few months to SFO without any cost. Are you saying that I will be bumped closer to the flight to regular economy seat?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It depends on if they are selling premium plus seats on the route or not. If you were able to choose that seat, then it is likely you'll be in the clear. Note that it is still possible you'll be bumped back to standard Eco+ if there is an equipment swap (i.e. a change of plane type), and you won't get any downgrade compensation (as one would if they had booked an actual premium plus seat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.