Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
DEN Gate Agent Refusal to Assign PP Seat

(Please move / merge to another thread if this isn't the right thread.)

On Monday, 2/21/22 I had a confirmed seat on UA 316, DEN-SFO, departing at 7:30 PM. Around 1:30 PM I elected to standby for UA 708, DEN-SFO, departing at 5:50 PM. UA 708 was originally scheduled as a 757-300, but by the time I chose to standby it had been swapped to a 777-300ER. I was #1 on the standby list (and only person at the time.) I proceeded to DEN and checked my bags at 3:03 PM, and the agent confirmed that my bags would be on UA 708 despite not having a confirmed seat. I made my way to B36 and waiting until about 4:50 PM, when the gate agent arrived.

When I got to the counter, I asked the agent if they would confirm my seat. She acknowledged that there was an aircraft swap (from 234 pax to 350 pax capacity) and that there were a lot of seats, but said "the computer won't let me do it this early anyways." I asked her if that was always the case, to which she replied, "Well what happens if a Global shows up and I've already given you a seat?" She said that they would start to clear standbys at T-30, and to "go have a seat." I acquiesced.

About 15 minutes later I get an SMS text from United that i had "received a seat assignment." - 35C, an E+ aisle seat. At this time (according to the seat map) there were still three Premium Plus seats available. 21E, 22A, and 22F. I was unable to change seats in the app (I think because they had opened the flight for boarding?), so I hopped back in line. I got to the counter and politely mentioned that my standby had been confirmed, and then I asked if she could help me change seats. I said, "Can you move me to 22A, 21E or 22F?"

She immediately told me "No, those are upgraded seats. That's the new Premium Economy. You can't sit there if you are flying Standby." While trying to be as polite as possible, I insisted that she must be mistaken. I pressed her to ask what the fare class was required for those seats... curious if she'd mention "A" or "O" - instead she just kept telling me that "those are upgrades only." I finally said, "Okay, fine, how much is it for me to upgrade to one of those seats." She spent a minute clicking around the computer and "magically" she was able to put me into 22F. Her explanation? "Oh, you're on a V fare, so you can select those seats. Anything higher than a W and you can upgrade to those seats." At this point boarding was already in progress - I did suggest that she look into that policy further as it was my understanding that United is not selling the Premium Plus product on flights like SFO-DEN / SFO-ORD....and that perhaps she was thinking about transcons like SFO-EWR.

I took my boarding pass for 22F and got on the plane...the end.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems as though perhaps you inadvertently got on the GA's bad side. Perhaps she felt you were too pushy initially, or perhaps she's just a grumpy person that day.

Diving into technicalities doesn't usually win you anything with agents, but well done finagling the P+ seat in the end.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Missing middle row?

So why do rows 20, 21, 22 not have middle seats in the two outer sections? Is this standard configuration on some 787-9 aircraft, which is what this seatmap is supposed to be from?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2022 at 9:54 pm Reason: moved to appropriate thread
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Aren't those just the rows with premium plus seats on a route where premium plus isn't for sale

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2022 at 9:53 pm Reason: repaired post
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mpw81
Aren't those just the rows with premium plus seats on a route where premium plus isn't for sale?
This^
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:04 pm

Wow, I didn't know. I fortuitously got a PP seat for the price of an E ticket! That too an LH ticket at a fraction of UA's E price for that route. UA's fare was $4500 and LH's fare was $810. So I booked LH obviously. That one leg (ORD-FRA) on which I've presumably snagged a PP seat, is on UA metal.

I should go buy a lottery ticket today.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Wow, I didn't know. I fortuitously got a PP seat for the price of an E ticket! That too an LH ticket at a fraction of UA's E price for that route. UA's fare was $4500 and LH's fare was $810. So I booked LH obviously. That one leg (ORD-FRA) on which I've presumably snagged a PP seat, is on UA metal.

I should go buy a lottery ticket today.
Answering my own post, I flew ORD-FRA and can confirm that rows 20-21-22 are indeed PP seats. But, please note that they fly a different metal/configuration on some days, so check before you buy that Y class ticket for a PP seat.

I have to say that UA's PP is more comfortable than I'd expected. Certainly better and roomier than LH's Premium Economy seat. Going forward, I wouldn't hesitate paying up for PP on flights over 5 hours if the differential isn't much.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Answering my own post, I flew ORD-FRA and can confirm that rows 20-21-22 are indeed PP seats. But, please note that they fly a different metal/configuration on some days, so check before you buy that Y class ticket for a PP seat.

I have to say that UA's PP is more comfortable than I'd expected. Certainly better and roomier than LH's Premium Economy seat. Going forward, I wouldn't hesitate paying up for PP on flights over 5 hours if the differential isn't much.
PP seat, but if sold as Y, only the seat would be the ‘upgrade’. Service would be regular Y. PP when sold as such has upgraded meals, free booze (I think), etc.

im surprised they would sell ORD-FRA like that - typically the international routes are already set up for PP fares/service - at least since the transition was done on most aircraft trips. Typically, the PP seats sold as Y are domestic runs, aside from PS and long-haul HI.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
PP seat, but if sold as Y, only the seat would be the ‘upgrade’. Service would be regular Y. PP when sold as such has upgraded meals, free booze (I think), etc.

im surprised they would sell ORD-FRA like that - typically the international routes are already set up for PP fares/service - at least since the transition was done on most aircraft trips. Typically, the PP seats sold as Y are domestic runs, aside from PS and long-haul HI.
Yes, the service is E/E+, but for long international flights and for those (like me) who don't value free liquor, this is fantastic value. Essentially you're getting a far better seat for the price of E. I would take it any day.

I asked a flight attendant before the flight and he confirmed that this route has been running PP seats in Y for a while now. He had no idea if and when they're going to convert it to PP service and fare. So, in the meantime those who want to fly to FRA should consider routing through ORD if you value a (free) PP seat over E/E+.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:44 pm

Refund for E+ (PP) to E+ (non-PP) seat?

I'm flying next week IAD-SFO. When I booked this ticket the flight was being operated by a 788. I booked this flight and paid for an E+ seat in the PP section of the plane for $189. Recently, UA swapped the aircraft to a 764 with no PP section (oddly, this is the only day this flight has been downgraded to a 764). I was re-accommodated to another (non-PP) E+ seat, however it's not worth $189 to me. I assume there's no way I can get refunded for my E+ purchase? Ideally I'd like to get my money back and just sit in E- on this flight, but if they aren't going to refund me I will take advantage of the schedule change to move my flight to the next morning's 789 flight and chose an E+(PP) seat on that plane.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I'm flying next week IAD-SFO. When I booked this ticket the flight was being operated by a 788. I booked this flight and paid for an E+ seat in the PP section of the plane for $189. Recently, UA swapped the aircraft to a 764 with no PP section (oddly, this is the only day this flight has been downgraded to a 764). I was re-accommodated to another (non-PP) E+ seat, however it's not worth $189 to me. I assume there's no way I can get refunded for my E+ purchase? Ideally I'd like to get my money back and just sit in E- on this flight, but if they aren't going to refund me I will take advantage of the schedule change to move my flight to the next morning's 789 flight and chose an E+(PP) seat on that plane.
No refunds. PP seats are considered as regular E+ seats on all domestic routes except those specially spelled out.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flew LAX-HNL on 77W yesterday. PE seats (22L/K) were consolation for failing to clear Plus Points upgrade on a W fare. First time in the seat - certainly way better than E+ or even domestic F. Would have preferred the bulkhead though - row 22 a bit too close to the lav for me. All in all, a pretty good deal for a OW fare of $285 from PHX.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 27, 2022 at 11:04 am Reason: row 22
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flew LAX-HNL on 77W yesterday. PE seats (22L/K) were consolation for failing to clear Plus Points upgrade on a W fare. First time in the seat - certainly way better than E+ or even domestic F. Would have preferred the bulkhead though - row 22 a bit too close to the lav for me. All in all, a pretty good deal for a OW fare of $285 from PHX.
HA! We were seated at 22K/L on our return trip HNL - LAX last night. I actually prefer the last row than the bulkhead!
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
why are those seats not sold as PP for CA to Hawaii?That flight is nearly as long as the premium transcon routes

Or has UA made a decision to not sell PP on any route that provides for CPUs?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
why are those seats not sold as PP for CA to Hawaii?That flight is nearly as long as the premium transcon routes ...
Probably not enough aircraft so equipped to guarantee availability for the longterm for the west coast flights. Or in other words , I would not expect to see 773s commonly on the west coast routes to Hawai'i
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Or has UA made a decision to not sell PP on any route that provides for CPUs?
Or has UA made a decision to not sell PP on any route that provides for CPUs?[/QUOTE] The reverse is true, any route with sold PremPlus is not present CPU eligible.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 27, 2022 at 10:05 pm Reason: Or in other words

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.