Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
It depends on if they are selling premium plus seats on the route or not. If you were able to choose that seat, then it is likely you'll be in the clear. Note that it is still possible you'll be bumped back to standard Eco+ if there is an equipment swap (i.e. a change of plane type), and you won't get any downgrade compensation (as one would if they had booked an actual premium plus seat).
Thanks. I wish United just makes this clear on the subscription page.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by nepats
Are subscription holders allowed to select the Premium plus seats at no cost? Any chance that these get bumped closer to the flight?

Thanks!
The answer to your question depends on the “premium plus” seat color on the seat selection map.

If the seat is purple, no.

If the seat is blue, yes.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
It should be noted, if it is not a premium plus route, although your seat may be premium plus... you will receive only E+ service.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
It should be noted, if it is not a premium plus route, although your seat may be premium plus... you will receive only E+ service.
Good point however It’s been a long time since I have received any kinds of great service on domestic flights even in first. For me, domestic air travel is all about the hard product.

Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
The answer to your question depends on the “premium plus” seat color on the seat selection map.

If the seat is purple, no.

If the seat is blue, yes.
Lol.. it was blue

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2021 at 10:16 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Question about domestic PremPlus sold as E+ and changes

Hi everyone - it's been a while since I've been active here, but I need some advice from the hive mind...

So the wife and I are set for EWR-MCO next month, and they recently swapped equipment on our return from a 737 to a 777-300ER. This is an international config with the 'premium plus' cabin marketed as Economy Plus (currently showing a $85-$95 upcharge). I'm seriously debating a buy-up (no status at the moment, and we're flying on points, so the buy-up is really our only upgrade option), but I'm wondering:
  1. Is the buy-up worth it? I wouldn't spend that kind of money for normal E+, but I'm wondering if it's worth it for the Premium Plus sub-cabin.
  2. What happens if the equipment gets swapped back to something smaller? I would assume we'd be rebooked in E+ (since the seats are being marketed as E+ and not Premium Plus), but would there be an refund/adjustment if we're rebooked into 'normal' E+?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's a nice hard product, but the soft product will be the same as E+/E-.

Indeed back to some other E+ seat. Probably the same price.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Critic
So the wife and I are set for EWR-MCO next month, and they recently swapped equipment on our return from a 737 to a 777-300ER. This is an international config with the 'premium plus' cabin marketed as Economy Plus (currently showing a $85-$95 upcharge). I'm seriously debating a buy-up (no status at the moment, and we're flying on points, so the buy-up is really our only upgrade option), but I'm wondering:
  1. Is the buy-up worth it? I wouldn't spend that kind of money for normal E+, but I'm wondering if it's worth it for the Premium Plus sub-cabin.
  2. What happens if the equipment gets swapped back to something smaller? I would assume we'd be rebooked in E+ (since the seats are being marketed as E+ and not Premium Plus), but would there be an refund/adjustment if we're rebooked into 'normal' E+?
Unlikely to be a 737, probably a 787 as the original aircraft.

At any rate, I would go for it for the amount of the offer you are seeing. Better seat than E+ (think domestic F), better food (same as business class, which speaks poorly for the business class product).

Just make sure on the seat map those seats are in purple color - which is designated for Premium Plus (premium economy).
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Unlikely to be a 737, probably a 787 as the original aircraft.

At any rate, I would go for it for the amount of the offer you are seeing. Better seat than E+ (think domestic F), better food (same as business class, which speaks poorly for the business class product)….
Domestic Premium Economy seats outside the non-CPU routes do not get same food as First. It will be food for purchase and they are treated as Economy Plus seats.
nnn and ezefllying like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 31, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
If you don't think you will have a chance to ever fly in them in the course of other flights, it could be worth it. I've sat in Premium Plus and they are definitely better than regular E+. The pairs on the side are preferable starting with bulkhead. If you can't get a pair on the side, then aisle/next to aisle pair in center bullkhead. After that it's a wash. The elites will quickly snap up the side seats since they are now available to be selected free of charge.

Service will remain exactly the same as economy. You will not get any refund for getting downgraded if you get a plane that does not have PP, you will be in E+ like you have paid for.

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 31, 2021 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Domestic Premium Economy does not get same food as First. It will be food for purchase.
Ha! I read it as EWR to FCO.

Clearly I am in need of more alcohol.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Thanks everyone - the wife decided to go ahead with the buy-up (which is just fine by me). We were able to snag 20AB, and honestly, after a week at the Mouse House, I’ll be grateful for the recliner seat, even if the service is still normal E+.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Critic
Thanks everyone - the wife decided to go ahead with the buy-up (which is just fine by me). We were able to snag 20AB, and honestly, after a week at the Mouse House, I’ll be grateful for the recliner seat, even if the service is still normal E+.
Actually, the service will be also be the same as regular E, but the seat is nicer, more overhead room, and off plane sooner.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
This is what I normally expect and is what confused me today as I flew UA 570 EWR-LAX where PP seats were being categorized as E+ but got premium service.

The flight wasn't particularly full and I would normally be tempted to pick a seat in E+ with movable armrests with the chance of getting a row to myself but I was flying with two others. I picked the complimentary E+ seats in the PP section at check-in and got what seemed to be PP service. We were fed twice (chicken+salad and then cheese/meat plate) in the PP section and the rest of the rows behind us (including other E+ seats) were not given any real food.

Was this an anomaly?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
No Premium Plus seats on 777-300ER?

Is there any 777-300ER that doesn’t have Premium Plus seats? It seems like many of those 777-300ER planes that fly within the U.S. do not have Premium Plus seats (purple) and show Econ Plus seats (blue) - Row 20-22.

Does it just show Econ Plus/blue seat color, but they are actually Premium Plus seats on the seat map? These rows have 2-4-2 instead of 3-4-3.

The seat map on UA’s site only shows one version of 777-300ER that has Premium Plus. Would I get Premium Plus seats if I choose these rows (20-22) when flying within the U.S.? Any idea?

Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are P+ seats, but they are not selling P+ fares on that route. Enjoy.
SPN Lifer and drewguy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.