Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Warning - don't rely on UA agents for int'l COVID rules!

Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT

It should be obvious, but a UA customer care agent is NOT your best source for the COVID rules on entry to other countries. And can be dangerous to your travel plans.
Last night, I had a very nice agent who was convinced that I would have no problem as a US citizen entering ZRH from the ORD-ZRH Swissair nonstop (or any itinerary "originating" in the US). When I explained the current Swiss rules, she pulled up something on her computer from UA, read it thoroughly and still insisted I'd be fine on the nonstop.
As of now, that UA agent is completely wrong. US citizens will be allowed in if they have first cleared immigration in a "neighboring Schengen member state" or other low-risk country (which US is not, per CH immigration). But US citizens will not be admitted if they come nonstop from ORD, EWR, IAD etc. or transit through another country without going through immigration there. (There are exceptions but they don't cover the random tourist or granny trying to see her grandkids) CH Immigration still has US designated "high risk". Yes, once you are admitted by CH Immigration, a US citizen who is fully vaxxed doesn't have to pre-test or quarantine - but that's no comfort if you can't get past Immigration!
So don't rely on UA for your COVID planning, without checking a more official source.
SIGH.
Silja likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by lskohn
It should be obvious, but a UA customer care agent is NOT your best source for the COVID rules on entry to other countries. And can be dangerous to your travel plans.
Last night, I had a very nice agent who was convinced that I would have no problem as a US citizen entering ZRH from the ORD-ZRH Swissair nonstop (or any itinerary "originating" in the US). When I explained the current Swiss rules, she pulled up something on her computer from UA, read it thoroughly and still insisted I'd be fine on the nonstop.
As of now, that UA agent is completely wrong. US citizens will be allowed in if they have first cleared immigration in a "neighboring Schengen member state" or other low-risk country (which US is not, per CH immigration). But US citizens will not be admitted if they come nonstop from ORD, EWR, IAD etc. or transit through another country without going through immigration there. (There are exceptions but they don't cover the random tourist or granny trying to see her grandkids) CH Immigration still has US designated "high risk". Yes, once you are admitted by CH Immigration, a US citizen who is fully vaxxed doesn't have to pre-test or quarantine - but that's no comfort if you can't get past Immigration!
So don't rely on UA for your COVID planning, without checking a more official source.
SIGH.

There are currently 222 views and no replies, so I'll add my comment. I would never accept the word of a res agent without checking the rules for the country I am travelling to - and those are not always easy to find.

In the Before Times, this was a known problem with res agents and even GAs at many airlines. It is either a function of poor training, a lazy agent, new rules, or any combination of these. An example: I was flying on a direct flight to PVG a couple of years ago. We knew the detailed rules for each TWOV option (thanks to the excellent FT thread). Our tickets were YUL-PVG on AC, returning on AC from TPE and to meet China's requirements, we bought a separate ticket on HO PVG-TPE. At check-in, we had all tickets as well as a copy of the Timatic rules. Needless to say, the GA in YUL thought I did not have the correct documents. A senior agent appeared and explained a few things to the GA, who then determined all docs were in order. Upon arrival in PVG, it was a breeze as we presented the tickets and documents, received our stamps on such and we on our way.

Compared to the world of flying in the Now Times, the entry rules for China were easy.

We all know how each country that is currently allowing visitors or transit pax, has very specific rules, similar to the example you gave. Those I know who have been transiting FRA and AMS have commented of the different timelines for the advance PCR tests. Then there are quarantine rules that differ.

This is a challenge for the experienced traveller but still a potential monumental mess for them and especially for those who don't fly often, don't know where to find the rules for each country, don't know about FT or similar. I would hope that those who are considering international travel, do the research or hire a TA. No one wants to be one of those stories about being denied boarding due to the wrong docs, the wrong test, the wrong proof of vaccine and so on.

Safe travels.
WR Cage, lskohn, TXJeepGuy and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is the same as "never take financial advice from your barber".
seanp7, kirkwoodj, lskohn and 10 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sweeney Todd?

David
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Correct. Always best to use Timatic (which is run by IATA).

Plus many sites offer Free access to a search tool that take into all aspects including origin country, destination country, transit country, pax residency, etc. Uniteds branded version is here (and is almost certainly the backend source that agents are interpreting it from as well): https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic...&POS=US&POS=US
sgopal2 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would expand this to "don't rely on UA phone agents for anything except performing basic ticketing functions."
higher_flyer, wrp96 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would expand this to "don't rely on UA phone agents for anything except performing basic ticketing functions."
even that is often dangerous
wrp96, TXJeepGuy and FlyingNone like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I wouldnt rely on any agent that offers me a flight on Swissair. Now, SWISS is a whole different story.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Completely off subject but this statement truly made me laugh out loud.

My barber actually talked me into a position in Bitcoin back in 2016. I know its completely a fluke but Big Mike gave me financial advice which significantly altered my life. (Hes also now retired from cutting hair.)
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Interesting statement:

"don't rely on UA agents for int'l COVID rules!" very TRUE

HOWEVER, you MUST rely on UA agents for UA Intl flights. The Checkin and/or Gate Agent checks your paperwork at the airport so you must rely on their interpretation (or perhaps help them a little).
But yes, at the same time, I would never trust what customer service tells you. One must research it themselves then hope that the UA agents at the airport agree with your interpretation.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Interesting statement:

"don't rely on UA agents for int'l COVID rules!" very TRUE

HOWEVER, you MUST rely on UA agents for UA Intl flights. The Checkin and/or Gate Agent checks your paperwork at the airport so you must rely on their interpretation (or perhaps help them a little).
But yes, at the same time, I would never trust what customer service tells you. One must research it themselves then hope that the UA agents at the airport agree with your interpretation.
This is why you should use Timatic. This is what UA agents at the airport are using for requirements.

that doesnt mean that there might never be a disagreement on exactly what the requirements mean, but the source is the same.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by clubord
Completely off subject
I disagree. It's just another way of saying never expect a person in one position to know about anything beyond the basics required for that position.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree. It's just another way of saying never expect a person in one position to know about anything beyond the basics required for that position.
I think that was a qualifier for what followed, not an assertion about the quote.
clubord likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:25 am

TIMATIC is your friend. Make Friend's with someone who has access to it
Old Jun 11, 2021, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
See also Post # 5, supra (link to UA Timatic).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.