Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which aircraft for Polaris to Europe for a couple, 787-10 vs 763

Which aircraft for Polaris to Europe for a couple, 787-10 vs 763

Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Post Which aircraft for Polaris to Europe for a couple, 787-10 vs 763

Looking for advice on 2 issues.

1-
Husband and I are traveling from AMS-PHX (home) in April 2022 (already decided on outbound flight PHX-ZRH). Which aircraft would be preferred for the trans-atlantic portion in Polaris (we have never traveled in Polaris before):
UA Flight 71- showing 787-10 (1-2-1 configuration, we would sit middle odd)
or
UA Flight 908- showing 767-300 (1-1-1 configuration, would most likely sit at windows one seat behind the other)

2-
Flight 71 connects via EWR with a connection time of 2 hours/24 minutes
Flight 908 connects via ORD with a connection time of 2 hours/ 55 minutes
We have never come through either EWR or ORD internationally. Is one easier to get through customs based on time allowed for connection?

Thank you in advance.
deb
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do you want to be able to carry on a conversion while seated? Or fine to be "separated"?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
My preference is the B787-10; however, theres no guarantee that a substitute wont occur before the date of departure.
deb86305 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do you want to be able to carry on a conversion while seated? Or fine to be "separated"?
fine to be separated, though i haven't asked my husband for his thoughts on the matter
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2021 at 3:42 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by deb86305
fine to be separated, though i haven't asked my husband for his thoughts on the matter
Its probably best to tell him what he thinks before you ask him.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
767 (if Polaris-ized) has wider seats. Id book that. My wife and I are happy to lean/stand/walk to chit chat with each other and are otherwise ok not being in constant contact for 7 hours!😂
modi, deb86305 and uastarflyer like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
And ORD is generally a more pleasant/modern airport. Although, the bus/train is a pain. We O/D at ORD so we dont have to endure that.
deb86305 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Both seats are slightly narrower then the 772s -- maybe an inch
You have window views on the 763
787-10 is a bit quieter and pressurized for a lower altitude. Some feel you are less jag lagged as a result

This may help
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat - FlyerTalk Forums
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10 - FlyerTalk Forums

I prefer the longer TATL which would be an advantage for ORD

In April, neither airport has a weather delay advantage

International connections -- it can be OK or bad at either airport depending on the other arrivals. Assuming the train is finally back by April at ORD, it is a toss up on my mind, EWR might have a small edge

Note the aircraft used in April 2022 may not be the aircraft you are booking, Aircraft assignment can/do change and schedules can change

Is height or footwell size an issue?
tcdtcd, jsloan and deb86305 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2021 at 4:15 pm Reason: aircraft threads added
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If it's helpful, I would also consider IAH, which pre-Covid was flown on a 772. You get Polaris seating with center pairs if that's what you and/or your partner prefer, a longer TATL flight and thus shorter flight in domestic F, and an easier international-to-domestic connection experience than ORD or EWR. At ORD you definitely need to switch terminals using a landside train (assuming the train modernization project is finally complete by April 2022), and at EWR there is a chance you would need to make a similar switch (the customs area at terminal C is currently closed due to reduced traffic, and even when it is open some UA international flights arrive at terminal B due to gate constraints).
VRFast, Kmxu and deb86305 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note the aircraft used in April 2022 may not be the aircraft you are booking, Aircraft assignment can/do change and schedules can change
This is worth emphasizing. With all the covid disruptions to international flights and uncertainties about what will happen to travel demand between now and April, the only thing you are locking in by booking now is the price. Schedules and aircraft will change many times between now and then.
deb86305 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
If it's helpful, I would also consider IAH, which pre-Covid was flown on a 772. You get Polaris seating with center pairs if that's what you and/or your partner prefer, a longer TATL flight and thus shorter flight in domestic F, and an easier international-to-domestic connection experience than ORD or EWR. At ORD you definitely need to switch terminals using a landside train (assuming the train modernization project is finally complete by April 2022), and at EWR there is a chance you would need to make a similar switch (the customs area at terminal C is currently closed due to reduced traffic, and even when it is open some UA international flights arrive at terminal B due to gate constraints).
I did see this flight. My only concern is that Seat Guru shows a 4 class 772 with Polaris being 2-4-2 with some having the backward facing seats. I know that Seat Guru isn't always accurate, but I would hate to be on this aircraft. If it was the upgraded, I would definently be interested. It does show the upgraded configuration on United's site for this flight so guessing I should trust that more than Seat Guru. Plus wondering if 1 hour 45 minutes may be tight for our connect back to PHX. Thank you

Last edited by deb86305; Jun 9, 2021 at 5:05 pm Reason: want to add content
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deb86305
I did see this flight. My only concern is that Seat Guru shows a 4 class 772 with Polaris being 2-4-2 with some having the backward facing seats. I know that Seat Guru isn't always accurate, but I would hate to be on this aircraft. If it was the upgraded, I would definently be interested. Just not certain how I would know for sure. Any suggestions? Plus wondering if 1 hour 45 minutes may be tight for our connect back to PHX. Thank you
SeatGuru is not to be trusted. That plane still exists in the fleet, but it's mostly being used on Hawaii routes. The seat map on United.com should be more representative in this particular case, and it's showing 1-2-1 Polaris, which is what I'd expect on that flight when it actually departs. (I'm not saying that the 2-4-2 config is 100% impossible, just unlikely).

1:45 at Houston is plenty of time.

ETA: hehehe, you checked the same thing I did while I was composing my reply.
deb86305 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
SeatGuru is not to be trusted. That plane still exists in the fleet, but it's mostly being used on Hawaii routes. The seat map on United.com should be more representative in this particular case, and it's showing 1-2-1 Polaris, which is what I'd expect on that flight when it actually departs. (I'm not saying that the 2-4-2 config is 100% impossible, just unlikely).

1:45 at Houston is plenty of time.

ETA: hehehe, you checked the same thing I did while I was composing my reply.
Good to know the connect (if departing on time) is "do-able". Don't really care about spending time at the lounge as I know we would have lounge time at Star Alliance in AMS. Thank you
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
We are trying this in 2 weeks. 763 on the outbound in 1 F/L and return 781 in 1 D/F. We'll see what we like better
deb86305 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
We are trying this in 2 weeks. 763 on the outbound in 1 F/L and return 781 in 1 D/F. We'll see what we like better
Awesome! let me know your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.