Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award price drop - what best way to get new price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

I have an award for 2 booked in October. I just saw the price per ticket has dropped by 6K. What is the best way t get the 12K refund? I see lot of posts about the cash price decreasing but am confused about award price decrease.

I tried the change flight option online and it won't let me pick the same flight
If I cancel and rebook I am afraid the price will suddenly increase. It has not been this low in a long time
If I call, will I be charged a fee - I have no status

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Book the new fare and then cancel the old one?
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Book the new fare first, have tickets in hand before canceling the old ones. As a 1K I do it all the time. Note depending on your status and # of days before departure, you may need to pay to get the award miles back making it a moot point for you.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mileshound
I tried the change flight option online and it won't let me pick the same flight ...
Always has been true

If I call, will I be charged a fee - I have no status
No award change fees anymore for anyone for change >31 days before departure.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Book the new fare and then cancel the old one?
If you have the miles this is best, otherwise you will need to call
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
If the OP books the new one before canceling the old one, how long would he typically have before United sees a duplicate booking and cancels one of them? I recently bought a ticket where I already had an award trip...and two hours (!) later, United canceled the new ticket. By the time I noticed a few days later, the price had gone up. (Not prohibitively).

I subsequently did exactly what the OP wants to do, and I made sure to cancel the old ticket as soon as I was sure the new ticket was ticketed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lancelot21
If the OP books the new one before canceling the old one, how long would he typically have before United sees a duplicate booking and cancels one of them? I recently bought a ticket where I already had an award trip...and two hours (!) later, United canceled the new ticket. By the time I noticed a few days later, the price had gone up. (Not prohibitively).

I subsequently did exactly what the OP wants to do, and I made sure to cancel the old ticket as soon as I was sure the new ticket was ticketed.
You got quite a bit of time. I had several hours between and it was fine as UA was trying to sort out pricing on the backend. That said ... booking a new flight and once confirmed cancelling the old one should work in any case.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lancelot21

Thanks. AA will not even let you book a duplicate. I will book the new one then cancel the old one once booked. Thanks for the heads up as i probably would have booked at night then canceled the old one the next morning. If that adds risk then I'll stay away from that strategy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks. AA will not even let you book a duplicate. I will book the new one then cancel the old one once booked. Thanks for the heads up as i probably would have booked at night then canceled the old one the next morning. If that adds risk then I'll stay away from that strategy.
The duplicate (newest) will be cancelled, but I do not know the exact time during the same night. So, get the new one ticketed and cancel the old one soon after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.