Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

QR code problem on United to Tahiti (PPT)

Old Jun 5, 21, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone else had problems boarding United flight to Tahiti (specifically I was booked on SFO->PPT today) because they did not have a QR code on the ETIS receipt?

I was denied boarding this morning at Cleveland (flying CLE->SFO->PPT) because of not having a QR code, which is listed in the United system as a requirement. The check-in agent simply would not let me in, because the system told her she needed to check the "QR code" box.

I understand from multiple sources that the ETIS system used to generate QR codes on the ETIS receipt, but it certainly does not do so now, from all that I can see. In fact, on an old cached version of the ETIS FAQ (from 23 Jan 2021) they even mention the "QR code"; but in the current version at < www.etis.pf/en/faq > they have changed the wording, now just talking about "validation code". So it seems that ETIS has recently changed something and no longer creates a QR code.

My guess is that ETIS forgot to inform United, or (more likely IMHO) they informed United but United failed to update their internal requirements checklist in their system. I have talked to other people that have flown with Air Tahiti Nui from LAX in recent days, without a QR code, and had no problem. Likely Air Tahiti Nui is more closely connected with ETIS, so maybe was more aware of the change.

In any event, I would recommend that anyone flying on United to Tahiti (specifically UA 115 SFP->PPT) and does not have a QR code from ETIS, contact United customer service and ask about this requirement (which is still listed on United's "Travel Ready Center"). You can point out that multiple official French Polynesia documents do not mention a QR code (for example, from Tahiti Tourism at < tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/ >.

For me, after canceling today's flights, my wife pressed United customer service rep (all via the chat feature on their website) about this problem. She presented multiple screen shots of all our docs (ETIS receipt, Haut Commissariat "Authorization to Travel". etc.). We even showed them an email exchange we had last week with ETIS service, after I asked them if there was some additional document needed. They responded: "At the time of boarding, travelers must present a boarding authorization (validation of the compelling reason), an ETIS receipt and a negative result to an RT-PCR test performed within 3 days prior to the departure flight to Tahiti." Finally, the United customer service rep said that the "Reservations lead" had approved me to travel without a QR code ... apparently there is a note on my reservation (hopefully the check in agent will be able to see that note, and know what to do). I'm re-booked on Tuesday 8 June 2021. Maybe United will realize in the next few days that this is an actual problem and fix their system.

I would like to hear about any other experiences like this.
Old Jun 7, 21, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We flew EWR-SFO-PPT with an overnight at SFO and the SFO-PPT segment on June 5. The SFO agents did not look for a QR code and as noted above, the ETIS forms no longer have one. The UA web site did list such a requirement so I was ready for an argument but nobody at EWR or SFO asked us about it. I'm VERY sorry to hear about your problem. We ran into a couple this evening on Bora Bora who had a similar issue with AA flying ORD-LAX-PPT. AA initially denied them boarding because their paperwork lacked a QR code. Eventually they were allowed to fly to LAX on a late flight, but with only 20min between flights they misconnected. Their delay meant a two day wait at LAX, additional COVID tests, etc. I'm wondering whether the problem is/was TIMATIC still having old information or whether it's the airline's internal systems. Either way, this is nt just a UA problem.

I just looked up the TIMATIC information on the UA web site. There is no reference to QR codes. As of now UA says these are the "warning" section in the requirements for US citizens traveling to French Polynesia are as fllows:
Passengers must complete an "ETIS Application" at https://www.etis.pf/en/at least 6 days and at most 30 days before departure.
Passengers must have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test taken at most 3 days before departure from the first embarkation point.
This does not apply to passengers younger than 11 years.
Passengers must have a completed sworn statement obtained at https://tinyurl.com/ytuat2th.
Passengers are subject to a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival.
This does not apply to passengers younger than 7 years.
Passengers could be subject to quarantine for 10 days.
Passengers with a COVID-19 vaccination certificate stating that they were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech at least 14 days before departure. More exemptions can be found at http://www.polynesie-francaise.pref.gouv.fr/.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 21 at 10:46 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 7, 21, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this, and previous message. I wish I had known about this Timatic site earlier... May have given me a fighting change at check-in on Saturday. I am rebooked to travel on Tuesday.
Now my new problem is Travel Authorization from Haut Commissariat. I tried to make a new request for the new departure date, but was automatically rejected due to date being too close.
Old Jun 7, 21, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Originally Posted by Tod Flak View Post
Thanks for this, and previous message. I wish I had known about this Timatic site earlier... May have given me a fighting change at check-in on Saturday. I am rebooked to travel on Tuesday.
Now my new problem is Travel Authorization from Haut Commissariat. I tried to make a new request for the new departure date, but was automatically rejected due to date being too close.
Email them concerning your original approval an get them to change that. You're not going to get approved so close to the flight date, but they have allowed others in similar circumstances to travel after being denied boarding because of misplaced concerns over the QR code.
Old Jun 7, 21, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Got it resolved. As you suggested, I had messaged them on the original approved dossier to please allow me to revise it. I'm not really convinced that I would have gotten a response or not; I think the difference was my wife calling the offices there ... actually, spoke today to people in ETIS; two people in Haut Commissariat; Chief of staff at Ministre du Tourisme; and Tahiti Tourism in Los Angeles. Eventually, Haut Commissariat simply enabled the dossier to be edited, I went in and made the date change, and 10 minutes later got a new Travel Authorization letter. So, I think I'm good to go to travel tomorrow... finally.
Xyzzy, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jun 7, 21, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it resolved. As you suggested, I had messaged them on the original approved dossier to please allow me to revise it. I'm not really convinced that I would have gotten a response or not; I think the difference was my wife calling the offices there ... actually, spoke today to people in ETIS; two people in Haut Commissariat; Chief of staff at Ministre du Tourisme; and Tahiti Tourism in Los Angeles. Eventually, Haut Commissariat simply enabled the dossier to be edited, I went in and made the date change, and 10 minutes later got a new Travel Authorization letter. So, I think I'm good to go to travel tomorrow... finally.
Great!

...I saw from the ther thread on this that UA has removed the QR code requirement from its internal list of requirements.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 8, 21, 7:10 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Great!

...I saw from the ther thread on this that UA has removed the QR code requirement from its internal list of requirements.
What an ordeal...
Old Jun 8, 21, 4:35 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
What a nightmare for you, but glad you can get there in the end. We are booked on that flight next month, so am going to watch this thread carefully until then.
Old Jun 9, 21, 1:20 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Hope after all this you have a great trip! Enjoy!
Old Jun 22, 21, 12:32 pm

Hi Tod, glad to know that you were able to resolve the issue by calling Haut Commissariat. Could you please share the phone numbers that you used ? I need to modify the health request file and then ETIS application in the last minute.

Search this Thread