Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Adding Supersonic Speeds with New Agreement to Buy Aircraft from Boom Supersonic
First U.S. airline to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic
New aircraft will cut travel times in half and operate on up to 100% sustainable aviation fuel

Photos(2)

CHICAGO and DENVER, June 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced a commercial agreement with Denver-based aerospace company Boom Supersonic to add aircraft to its global fleet as well as a cooperative sustainability initiative – a move that facilitates a leap forward in returning supersonic speeds to aviation.

Under the terms of the agreement, United will purchase 15 of Boom's 'Overture' airliners, once Overture meets United's demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for an additional 35 aircraft. The companies will work together on meeting those requirements before delivery. Once operational, Overture is expected to be the first large commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, optimized to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). It is slated to roll out in 2025, fly in 2026 and expected to carry passengers by 2029. United and Boom will also work together to accelerate production of greater supplies of SAF.

"United continues on its trajectory to build a more innovative, sustainable airline and today's advancements in technology are making it more viable for that to include supersonic planes. Boom's vision for the future of commercial aviation, combined with the industry's most robust route network in the world, will give business and leisure travelers access to a stellar flight experience," United CEO Scott Kirby said. "Our mission has always been about connecting people and now working with Boom, we'll be able to do that on an even greater scale."

Capable of flying at speeds of Mach 1.7 – twice the speed of today's fastest airliners – Overture can connect more than 500 destinations in nearly half the time. Among the many future potential routes for United are Newark to London in just three and a half hours, Newark to Frankfurt in four hours and San Francisco to Tokyo in just six hours. Overture will also be designed with features such as in-seat entertainment screens, ample personal space, and contactless technology. Working with Boom is another component of United's strategy to invest in innovative technologies that will build a more sustainable future of air travel.

"The world's first purchase agreement for net-zero carbon supersonic aircraft marks a significant step toward our mission to create a more accessible world," said Blake Scholl, Boom Supersonic founder and CEO. "United and Boom share a common purpose—to unite the world safely and sustainably. At speeds twice as fast, United passengers will experience all the advantages of life lived in person, from deeper, more productive business relationships to longer, more relaxing vacations to far-off destinations."

About United

United's shared purpose is "Connecting People. Uniting the World." For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter and Instagram or connect on Facebook. The common stock of UAL is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol "UAL."

About Boom Supersonic

Boom Supersonic is redefining commercial air travel by bringing sustainable, supersonic flight to the skies. Boom's historic commercial airliner, Overture, is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Overture will be the first commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, capable of flying on 100% sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) at twice the speed of today's fastest passenger jets. Overture's order book, including purchases and options, stands at 70 aircraft, and Boom is working with the United States Air Force for government applications of Overture. XB-1, a demonstrator aircraft, rolled out in 2020, and its net-zero carbon flight test program is underway. The company is backed by world-class investors, including Bessemer Venture Partners, Prime Movers Lab, Emerson Collective and American Express Ventures. For more information, visit https://boomsupersonic.com.

Connect with Boom Supersonic on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Medium.
Print Wikipost

UA to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA must be looking for ways to cut the second meal service and PJ options with the shorter flight lengths.
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
........IMHO UA will have the same issue BA had in 1990’s – Supesonic is basically a one way market (from Europe to NYC) .....
Interesting insight. Come to think of it, NRT-SFO will have the same time zone issue. Westbound SFO-NRT can work but few want to fly red eye in a narrow Boom eastbound from NRT. You can depart NRT early in the morning but you get into SFO at bed time. That doesn't really gain you anything.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sigh. Carry-ons go under the passenger's seat - if people would just take a bit of time to read info widely available at Boom's website, they'd know this.
Where does checked luggage go? I don't see much room for anything under the passenger deck. (If that info is on the website, I couldn't find it.)

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Surprisingly, nobody seems to have mentioned that SST will not change (1) the time it takes to get to the airport; (2) time to clear security etc.; (3) waiting time, as you have to get there at least an hour in advance; (4) time to clear immigration at your destination; (5) time to get from the airport to your ultimate destination. That's the real time swamp. SST travel will only mean that all the foregoing will now definitively exceed the actual air time.
I dunno, airlines already try to work on some of those for super-premium passengers, and Concorde did too. You could prioritize passengers on this plane through security & immigration, have some sort of abbreviated check-in time and an exclusive lounge right next to the gate, maybe even do a helicopter service between the airport and downtown, etc.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Plane is a zen place for me. The amount of time it takes after take off to start food service, the actual food service, eating the food, waiting for rubbish collection, watching a movie (or two), waiting for lav to open up, catching some sleep - cannot be accomplished in 3.5 hours. I will take the slower option (if this even becomes reality).
Goodness, how do you survive current 3.5 hour flights (like say NYC-DEN) - refuse to take them and go Greyhound or Amtrak instead?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 4, 2021 at 9:13 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tattikat2
I'm not a pilot so no, I've not flown one. Or flown in one either!.

No but I do have an opinion based on seeing film of the Boeing 777 crash at SFO a few years ago.

That plane just about cart- wheeled after impact and it held together. The 777 is a tank. I just feel a composite plane wouldn't have held together as well but its obviously just my own thought.

I sincerely hope there is never any future event to compare this type of thing
As others have pointed out, carbon fiber is incredibly strong, your feeling about how well it'll hold together notwithstanding. Heavier does not mean stronger. There are legitimate reasons why this project is risky - regulatory issues related to sonic booms, scheduling, CASM/RASM, range, rookie company, an aggressive timeline, lack of engines, and so forth. "But the hull is carbon fiber" is not one of them.

Originally Posted by Dyce
I must have missed United paying back all the taxpayer money they received to keep employees / stay afloat during the pandemic. Glad they can put money down on aircraft that haven’t even been designed yet, but can’t afford to give me a piece of lime in my gin & tonic. United will eventually go bankrupt again and be bailed out again.
While the details of this deal aren't public, I'd wager that United didn't exactly break the bank with this one. Boom is gaining a lot of legitimacy and free marketing, both of which they desperately need if they want to raise additional capital by going public (there are rumors that they'll take the SPAC route). Whatever money United paid them is likely just the cherry on top.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tupungato
I'm 90% sure this is United's publicity stunt.
One of solutions for a wealthy business person anxious to get from London to New York is a business jet out of LCY to LGA. This trip can probably be made in 8h20m from office to office. Without London traffic and check-in hassle. The price is ~$50k for a 6-8 person jet charter.
Incorrect. LGA does not have customs or immigration facilities plus there is the 1500 mile perimeter rule. All incoming international traffic (Canada, basically) clears US immigration in Toronto or Montreal prior to boarding on the Canadian end.
tupungato and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
How would crews feel about working a 3.5 TATL flight?
Probably about the same as they feel about working a 3.5 hr domestic flight.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
On the bright side, it's all aisle-access seating.
I guess single-aisle TATL isn't so bad after all.

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Am I the only one who is a little concerned about a supersonic plane made of carbon fiber? Maybe I'm old school but I find I feel safer in a plane made of metal alloys .
Originally Posted by fumje
...the higher speeds mean more heating of the aircraft surface, but composites don't have good material properties at higher temperatures.
Only a few surfaces are subjected to the highest temperatures.

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
As others have pointed out this isn't possible. If you are sitting on the runway at JFK or EWR at 8:00 a.m. Eastern, it is already 1:00 p.m. in London.
Oh, yeah? What about a spacetime wormhole? Didn't think of that, did'ya?

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Step 1 - hire 2-3 too many marketing MBAs...
Hey!

RNE, a marketing MBA
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm 90% sure this is United's publicity stunt.
Even if Boom is likely to be certified and manufactured, is there a market?

Let's look at this honestly. Only oceanic crossings make sense, because no country will allow sonic booms over land.
Let's have a look at a classic route LHR-JFK. Boom claims 3h30m instead of 6h30m. This is without taxiing, without getting to airport, without check-in and immigration. More likely time difference from Central London or Canary Wharf to Lower Manhattan is 6h30m vs 10h00m. That's not a huge difference.

And if you take into account potential prices... Boom's wishful thinking says $5k per flight, but even taking into account tech advancement and eco solutions, I believe $10k-$20k is more likely. Or $30k if they go with "all business class" which is one of the ideas. Remember that from last Concorde flight there was +50% inflation, and fuel prices went 150-300% up.

One of solutions for a wealthy business person anxious to get from London to New York is a business jet out of LCY to LGA. This trip can probably be made in 8h20m from office to office. Without London traffic and check-in hassle. The price is ~$50k for a 6-8 person jet charter.

There is no market whatsoever justifying development of supersonic passenger aircraft. Right now. Prove me wrong by throwing some real numbers, not wishful thinking.
You want real numbers for a flight that won't take place until 2029 at the earliest? I can't see how that's possible.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
Who let SFO-NRT through editing? SFO-HND, no?
Lol I was thinking the same thing but if this were reality, NRT seems like the logical choice given the proximity of HND to Tokyo (from a safety and capacity constrained standpoint). Even ANA A380s to HNL are still leaving from NRT. That said, LHR/EWR/SFO aren't exactly in the middle of nowhere either...
Old Jun 4, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
There is no market whatsoever justifying development of supersonic passenger aircraft. Right now. Prove me wrong by throwing some real numbers, not wishful thinking.
There is a valuable market justifying development of supersonic passenger aircraft. Right now. Prove me wrong by throwing some real numbers, not pessimistic thinking.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Bear96
Where does checked luggage go? I don't see much room for anything under the passenger deck. (If that info is on the website, I couldn't find it.)
I haven't seen that mentioned either. Wouldn't have to be huge, with only 50-75 pax. Unless the 1% still bring along their steamer trunks when they decamp to summer home #5.
lsquare and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I haven't seen that mentioned either. Wouldn't have to be huge, with only 50-75 pax. Unless the 1% still bring along their steamer trunks when they decamp to summer home #5.
Concorde’s luggage area was at the back of the fuselage. Seems like a good location. It really wouldn’t have to be a big area, something similar to what’s on a regional jet.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
There is a valuable market justifying development of supersonic passenger aircraft. Right now. Prove me wrong by throwing some real numbers, not pessimistic thinking.
I somewhat understand the potential need of a supersonic business jet. Aerion had invested $100m in development of their Aerion SBJ/AS2. Supposedly had over $3 billion in orders backlog. But no financing company would find it feasible, and no one would invest more. They had to shut down.

Boom Overture claims to have range of 4250nmi. Yet, they propose to use it on a route from Sydney to Los Angeles (6550nmi at best) or San Francisco to Tokyo (4460nmi at best).

Airbus and BAE Systems have know-how for supersonic aircraft. Why don't make the move, if there is demand?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I have followed this thread but do not remember seeing if this was mentioned:

Is this going to be a business class flight only? Will there be coach seats? Seems this is Concorde-style one class only.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, there will be no economy seats.
iluv2fly and lsquare like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.