Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade at the gate not changeable by GA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp

Please move if another appropriate thread.

I admit, over the past year my travel has been down a bit (about 150 domestic segments) and split between DL, AA and UA based upon best option to get where I was going, so did I miss the change to UA upgrade at the gate policy?

Today I was first for 2 seats, one in bulkhead 1D and one row 3, 3C. About 10 minutes before boarding I asked the GA, if possible when she clears upgrades I'd prefer 3C. She told me not in her control, that the system clears upgrades based upon profile preference and to refresh the app in about 5 minutes to see what seat I got. She said she couldn't clear the upgrades manually, and she couldn't change them after either. When I asked "Since when?" she replied "Since COVID."

I honestly can't remember how it went my last gate upgrade since COVID, other than I do know I've asked for specific seat, been cleared right there and handed a boarding pass since COVID.

Am I remembering things wrong? Is this GA actually right?
Old May 27, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allow me to translate:

"Since COVID" is special airline speak for "I don't want to help you / give you something nice / provide a basic level of service, so please buzz off now."

Old May 27, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yeah, I have been #1 on the list, approached GA and said "when you run the list, could you assign me to xx?" She did that and then ran the rest of the list. Absent that they seem to do it in order (i.e., #1 on the list gets the "lowest number/letter" seat, which isn't always desirable)
Old May 27, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think gate agents are encouraged to clear upgrades early (including 10 minutes before boarding starts) unless there is obviously an over-abundance of available seats, and even then, they might hold one or two to last minute. If only a couple of seats are left, they might be needed for misconnects, same-day changes (F>F), and least popular with waitlisters - buy-ups. UA doesn't want to tell a GS wanting to do a last-minute SDC that they gave away the last seats to upgraders.

And while "Covid" can be an excuse, UA has been definitely late with upgrades throughout the pandemic.

I think agents like the automatic system, because they can point to that when demanding flyers were constantly pestering them.

The automatic clearing also relieves them to some extent of being accused of shenanigans.

And yes, GA can change assigned seat if another is open.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 27, 2021 at 3:37 pm
Old May 27, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Within the past 3 months I've had two different agents proactively come up to me before running the list "(first name) I know you prefer a window... I have 3D and 4D open...which would you like? ""Uh...whichever or easiest for you... As long as it's a window up front I'm happy :-)" (agent still waiting for an answer) "Uhh...4D please?" "I'll be right back"

For agents I don't know/stations that I'm. A less frequent visitor to I just take what I'm given and then (assuming something more appealing is available) IL list move myself in the all
I figure the agents have enough to deal with that close to departure that I'm not going to waste their time looking a gift horse in the mouth on a CPU. (Yes...I know it's not a "pure" gift bit it's also not something I'm paying for)
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I believe the agent encountered by OP refers to the automated upgrade script that they can run to process battlefield upgrades. While it does not preclude the agent to manually process the upgrades, it does require them to type more. <insert shrug emoji>
SPN Lifer and dorisrpas like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wild guess - you were departing from EWR?
Old May 27, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Allow me to translate:

"Since COVID" is special airline speak for "I don't want to help you / give you something nice / provide a basic level of service, so please buzz off now."

Similar to Starbucks having bathrooms shut down for a year for my safety. Thank you letting me safely pee my pants!
knit-in likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Wild guess - you were departing from EWR?
Nope, actually from DSM!

I definitely approached the GA a few minutes early, but clearly said to her "when she clears upgrades" knowing normally they don't clear early. Although, since this was at my home airport the UA agents who know me (she did not) often do clear me early.

It seemed like she only knew about the automatic system, truly perplexed when I shared others have done what I was asking ... Kind of a deer-in-the-headlights looked
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2021 at 6:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rickfromla
Similar to Starbucks having bathrooms shut down for a year for my safety. Thank you letting me safely pee my pants!
Using the outside of the locked door might be safer, similar to the air sickness bag in-flight. (!) Fortunately, there is always a restroom reasonably nearby the UA gate areas, so this should not interfere with politely asking for a specific upgrade seat.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
... It seemed like she only knew about the automatic system, truly perplexed when I shared others have done what I was asking ... Kind of a deer-in-the-headlights looked
Perhaps a new agent, and only knew what they were taught??

You mentioned you knew all the regulars, but did not know this one.....
Old May 27, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think agents like the automatic system, because they can point to that when demanding flyers were constantly pestering them.
I suspect this is the big factor. Yes, the airline is telling a fib here- let's make that clear. But it's probably a fib that deals with the real problem of gate lice hanging around looking for upgrades. And that includes a lot of passengers who aren't like OP (who was totally entitled to an upgrade and a choice of seats). Allowing gate agents to throw up their hands and say it is all in the hands of the computer is a powerful deterrent to the jerks who have no right to upgrades and who pester gate agents continually for them.

I'd send in a complaint on this one, though. I do think this was a legitimate request, and the GA should be able to differentiate this from the folks attempting to freeload.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Not to go OT, but there is some nuance here. If I'm looking for a CPU, I'm probably going to be willing to wait for the system to run. But if I used PP and waiting to clear, I want to push the issue a bit since I've actually "paid" something and don't want UA to sell that seat out from under me for a few bucks, or clear me into a less than desirable seat when my preferred seat is available.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
...But if I used PP and waiting to clear, I want to push the issue a bit since I've actually "paid" something and don't want UA to sell that seat out from under me for a few bucks...
Under the new system, one actually doesn't "pay" until the upgrade seat is made available and clears. No points are deducted until you get the upgrade. Until then, it's up for grabs for buy-ups or outright purchase.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Not to go OT, but there is some nuance here. If I'm looking for a CPU, I'm probably going to be willing to wait for the system to run. But if I used PP and waiting to clear, I want to push the issue a bit since I've actually "paid" something and don't want UA to sell that seat out from under me for a few bucks, or clear me into a less than desirable seat when my preferred seat is available.
I think you are entitled to ask either way. The problem here isn't FF'ers, it's all the folks who don't have any right to upgrades who have been taught to pester gate agents for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.