FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040845-uas-new-ewr-terminal-security-how-get-facilities-uc-opened-28-june-2023-a.html)

8MiHi May 23, 2021 5:29 pm

UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023

About – New Terminal A Redevelopment – Newark Liberty International Airport (ewrredevelopment.com)

Still on target for a 2022 opening
They say they are going to use some form of flexible gate assignments where multiple airlines may use the same gate

Repooc17 May 23, 2021 8:40 pm

Looking forward to the new terminal. Have been watching the speedy progress over the past year or so especially when flying B6.

That said, I hope it doesn't pull a LGA. As impressive as the new LGA terminal is, the new terminal has opened in phases, which makes sense, but holy cow, there are a lot of walking. I don't mind walking, and I am a fast walker, but I am so used to getting to the airport last minute...much easier with the compactness of EWR Terminal C, or existing Terminal A or B.

cesco.g May 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Hopefully there will be easy & convenient airside connection between the new and existing terminals.

EWR764 May 24, 2021 6:09 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 33274023)
Hopefully there will be easy & convenient airside connection between the new and existing terminals.

It will be a bus. An AirTrain replacement is in the works but it will be landside like the current system. No plans for an airside automated people mover.

narvik May 24, 2021 6:17 am

I am little confused by the title; have they renamed it again from "Terminal 1" back to "New Terminal A"?

(We had an older thread about this new EWR terminal somewhere, but I can't find it now....)

8MiHi May 24, 2021 6:56 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 33274521)
I am little confused by the title; have they renamed it again from "Terminal 1" back to "New Terminal A"?

(We had an older thread about this new EWR terminal somewhere, but I can't find it now....)

Yes. It will now be New Terminal A.
Once old terminal A is demolished I expect they will ease it to simply Terminal A.

Alpha Golf May 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 33274511)
It will be a bus.

So the same very miserable experience.

friends don't let friends connect at EWR.

buckeyefanflyer May 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Making a tight connection from old A to C was not good. The time I ran from A to C on bus ran to my gate like C122 for SJU and door closed 8 minutes before departure.
I asked the agent don’t you look for connections they don’t do that anymore. Had to get to JFK at my own expense and took DL to SJU.
Was in DFW a few weeks ago saw them close the door 10 minutes before departure people who were trying to get on were out of luck.

EWR764 May 25, 2021 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 33276212)

Not recommended...

8MiHi May 25, 2021 6:51 am

An airside walkway is as likely as stumbling upon a unicorn playing cards with Sasquatch

EWR764 May 25, 2021 7:21 am

Originally Posted by 8MiHi (Post 33277422)
An airside walkway is as likely as stumbling upon a unicorn playing cards with Sasquatch

Yep, I don't think such a thing is even under remote consideration. A C-A airside walkway would probably be over a mile long. The current central terminal layout is much more conducive to a walkway, and even that was never developed.

8MiHi May 26, 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 33277493)
Yep, I don't think such a thing is even under remote consideration. A C-A airside walkway would probably be over a mile long. The current central terminal layout is much more conducive to a walkway, and even that was never developed.

I have done that walk on the land side and I have taken the bus. Both worked and both were less than ideal.

goodeats21 Aug 20, 2021 2:44 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 33500604)
Unfortunate to hear and different from what I heard earlier this month.

JetBlue is now using 4 PANYNJ common-use gates previously allocated to United on A-2, and perhaps the volume of passengers in the satellite (plus reduced # departures until November at least) doesn't justify it. By the time EWR is back at full schedule, the opening of the new Terminal A (with a United Club) will be imminent.

I haven't heard much about the new terminal, and very little found in searching. Has it been announced that there will be a United Club there? How many gates in the new terminal is United going to have?

EWR764 Aug 20, 2021 7:54 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 33505531)
I haven't heard much about the new terminal, and very little found in searching. Has it been announced that there will be a United Club there? How many gates in the new terminal is United going to have?

Yes, there will be a UC there but details on it are limited. No doubt it will be a large lounge. UA will have about a dozen mainline gates at the beginning.

lincolnjkc Aug 20, 2021 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 33276212)

Hey, about 1/3 of my chauffeured transfers by UA GS reps have been from A to C -- it's far from a miserable experience when it happens... especially when one of those times was with a coworker who rarely travels :) [Is that dead due to COVID or have I just been an unlucky 1K this year?]

The rest of the time the transfer has been no more miserable than the terminal. I can live with the transfer as long as the bus station atmosphere of A is no more. I just hope the replacement looks/works nothing like the hell that is the new UAX gates at IAH. I like a lot of things about Europe but the whole "We don't let you go anywhere near your gate until moments before boarding" concept is supremely irritating.