EWR Terminal One now New Terminal A

Old May 17, 22, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
While I see lots of progress, I agree that Spring 22 is going to be tough. The right (south) side with gates 1-16(?) looks encouragingly close to wrapping up, but without a press release indicating a political show and tell date I don't expect a 1H '22 open.
The landside pictures also appear to be in a state that could be called nearly done except for a bunch of details. These details could be finished shortly or maybe take a bit. We will see.
Old May 17, 22, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My more realistic guess is they'll have it open by the Thanksgiving rush. Lots of operational/behind-the-scenes things need to happen before it opens, from what I understand.

It's also probably best to phase in the opening during September/October, when traffic is a bit lower.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Has anyone seen an update on this Terminal's opening?
There is a job fair for customer service personnel on the PA website so maybe something is happening.
I saw a suggestion that the expected opening is now in November but nothing official.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by 8MiHi View Post
Has anyone seen an update on this Terminal's opening?
There is a job fair for customer service personnel on the PA website so maybe something is happening.
I saw a suggestion that the expected opening is now in November but nothing official.
Just judging by the earthcams and being on a fair amount of construction sites that are a much smaller scale than this, October has to be off the table. I guess November is the earliest, but knowing the current labor environment and how construction usually goes, I would doubt that as well.

Speaking of the labor market, I can't imagine running a job fair for jobs starting in November. My company can't get 25% of new hires to show up on the first day when there's an immediate start. I'd bet starting incentives are big with the new hires, and that the opening is going to be a rough one. Never thought I'd say this at EWR but I feel for what airport management will have to manage here....
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I noted this in another thread, but as of now November 1 is the unofficial "target" date, but that is in serious doubt. Lots of operational tests are scheduled for October, so I guess it isn't entirely out of the question, but these things tend to slip. Munich (developer) and the Port do not want to open the building between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so smart money is on early 2023 at this point.
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
January (after the holidays) and February are traditionally lower-travel months, so that is a good time to start new operations and work out any startup issues.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
January (after the holidays) and February are traditionally lower-travel months, so that is a good time to start new operations and work out any startup issues.
Maybe this will help: NYC No Longer Includes EWR

David
Old Sep 26, 22, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I noted this in another thread, but as of now November 1 is the unofficial "target" date, but that is in serious doubt. Lots of operational tests are scheduled for October, so I guess it isn't entirely out of the question, but these things tend to slip. Munich (developer) and the Port do not want to open the building between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so smart money is on early 2023 at this point.
Talked to the agents and the bartender at the Terminal A UC last Thursday. They toured their new space and were impressed, then they were told to be prepared for a November 1 move. All of them seemed to believe that November 1 was possible but aren't sure its likely.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.

Search this Thread