EWR Terminal One now New Terminal A

Old Sep 13, 21, 11:00 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 32,928
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
...UA will also be opening a new United Club in Terminal A when that facility is operational.
I believe yu mean the new terminal One.
Xyzzy is online now  
Old Sep 13, 21, 11:02 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,715
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I believe yu mean the new terminal One.
It was, but now it's back to the A/B/C nomenclature.

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/
EWR764 is online now  
Old Sep 13, 21, 1:29 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 32,928
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
It was, but now it's back to the A/B/C nomenclature.

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/
Well, ne can hope that they've finalized the nomenclature because the signage sure could use an update...




I'm glad they have now decided to stick with A / B / C.
Xyzzy is online now  
Old Sep 27, 21, 7:57 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: EWR
Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
It was, but now it's back to the A/B/C nomenclature.

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/
Sorry this is offtopic and/or if I'm dense, but what are they going to call the old Terminal A when its renovation is (eventually) complete? It was my understanding that they were eventually replacing the gate areas of Terminal A but it would remain in operation - is that wrong?
threecap is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 8:22 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,367
Originally Posted by threecap View Post
Sorry this is offtopic and/or if I'm dense, but what are they going to call the old Terminal A when its renovation is (eventually) complete? It was my understanding that they were eventually replacing the gate areas of Terminal A but it would remain in operation - is that wrong?
"Tarmac", "Asphalt", and "Ramp" being the three leaders I would guess. My understanding is the new building (Terminal 1, Terminal One, Terminal A, Terminal 1ne...what ever PANYNJ is calling it) will completely replace the existing "Bus Station A" which will be demolished and I can envision (without having referred to the master plan) that the space vacated by current Bus Station A may be used for a future renovation/expansion/rebuild of Terminal B but I don't think there's anything salvageable about the current BSA.
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 8:59 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,715
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
"Tarmac", "Asphalt", and "Ramp" being the three leaders I would guess. My understanding is the new building (Terminal 1, Terminal One, Terminal A, Terminal 1ne...what ever PANYNJ is calling it) will completely replace the existing "Bus Station A" which will be demolished and I can envision (without having referred to the master plan) that the space vacated by current Bus Station A may be used for a future renovation/expansion/rebuild of Terminal B but I don't think there's anything salvageable about the current BSA.
As I understand it, the 3 "banjos" and connecting walkways will be demolished and the space paved for parking airplanes. The demolition process is starting with the A-1 concourse, which closes later this week and will be torn down by the end of the year. The current Terminal A headhouse will be closed when the new facility opens, but not demolished until the existing AirTrain is finally decommissioned, because the monorail guideway runs through, and is integral to the structure of the building. It would have been too costly and too much of an engineering headache to try to demolish the headhouse around the monorail guideway, or build in a temporary right-of-way for an obsolete system that is due to be replaced in the next few years anyway.

Eventually the area occupied by the current Terminal A complex (buildings, roadways and parking lot) will be part of the Terminal B replacement, but that's unlikely until later in the decade.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Sep 27, 21, 9:04 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: EWR
Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
The current Terminal A headhouse will be closed when the new facility opens, but not demolished until the existing AirTrain is finally decommissioned, because the monorail guideway runs through, and is integral to the structure of the building. It would have been too costly and too much of an engineering headache to try to demolish the headhouse around the monorail guideway, or build in a temporary right-of-way for a system that is due to be replaced in the next few years anyway.
I was told by someone that the Term A "headhouse" as you call it had some historic designation that prevented it from being demolished. No idea whether any part of that is true. But it makes a lot more sense that the entire Term A area would be transitioned to non-terminal use, or used for future development, instead of being salvaged in any way. Thx for the off-topic responses
threecap is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 9:35 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,715
Originally Posted by threecap View Post
I was told by someone that the Term A "headhouse" as you call it had some historic designation that prevented it from being demolished. No idea whether any part of that is true. But it makes a lot more sense that the entire Term A area would be transitioned to non-terminal use, or used for future development, instead of being salvaged in any way. Thx for the off-topic responses
While it has some architectural significance, AFAIK no historical designations for any of the buildings in the 1973 EWR complex have been sought or awarded. The fact that two other identical headhouses exist (B+C) and there are no plans at all to replace C in the next 20-30 years, suggest to me that even if some "Save Terminal A" groundswell were to crop up, it probably would not be effective. Other buildings in the PANYNJ portfolio with arguably greater architectural or historical gravitas (Sundrome, Worldport, AA stained glass wall, LGA hangars) have been unceremoniously torn down in the modern era, so I am not particularly optimistic that the current Terminal A will be afforded any special status.
lincolnjkc and m.y like this.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Sep 27, 21, 1:19 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 13,828
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
....but not demolished until the existing AirTrain is finally decommissioned
Wait...is the AirTrain going to be decommisioned? And replaced by? I haven't seen the detailed plan, but am curious.

Originally Posted by threecap View Post
I was told by someone that the Term A "headhouse" as you call it had some historic designation that prevented it from being demolished. No idea whether any part of that is true.
Having been through Term A more times than I wish to think about, I can't imagine what historical designation it might be able to get. Is there someone that is really willing to invest time/$ to keep this thing standing.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 2:21 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 8,881
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Well, ne can hope that they've finalized the nomenclature because the signage sure could use an update...




I'm glad they have now decided to stick with A / B / C.
Pretty sure I remember seeing a new sign put up in this spot on a recent drive to EWR...think it was blue now.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 2:29 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: EWAARGHHH
Programs: UA: Plat; MAR: T
Posts: 44
what should I say? EWArrrrghhhh
kirkwoodj, truncated and Repooc17 like this.
EWAarghhh is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 2:33 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,412
Originally Posted by EWAarghhh View Post
what should I say? EWArrrrghhhh
Perfecto!
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 3:05 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,715
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Wait...is the AirTrain going to be decommisioned? And replaced by? I haven't seen the detailed plan, but am curious.
Eventually. In August, it passed federal environmental review, which was its latest hurdle. Reportedly, it is on track for a 2022 construction start, and 2026 service entry. As of now, it has a $2b++ pricetag in its own right, which is approaching the cost of the entire new Terminal A.

The existing system started operations in 1996 and had a 25-year expected service life... bringing us to 2021. Hopefully Bombardier is able to squeeze another 5 years of primary use out of it!

Worth noting is that while the new system will be more reliable, faster, more spacious and better in nearly every way than the current, its approved alignment will require some very long walks (in enclosed walkways) to get to Terminals B and C. The new system will not be nearly as convenient as the AirTrain stations in the current buildings.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Sep 27, 21, 3:20 pm
  #29  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,652
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
.... Worth noting is that while the new system will be more reliable, faster, more spacious and better in nearly every way than the current, ....
Isn't that the standard mantra?
If you can not outperform a 25 year old transportation system ......

And then we have that New, Improved ORD ATS ..... (not an invitation to go off-topic -- it has its own thread)
EWR764 and Dublin_rfk like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 4:09 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 32,928
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Wait...is the AirTrain going to be decommisioned? And replaced by? I haven't seen the detailed plan, but am curious.



Having been through Term A more times than I wish to think about, I can't imagine what historical designation it might be able to get. Is there someone that is really willing to invest time/$ to keep this thing standing.
I've read that the existing A "headhouse" was to be designated or already was designated as a historical building. And B and C are each quite different from the original design now... I guess we'll see what happens when the existing monorail is replaced. Oh - and get ready to walk. The replacement will be incnvenient and quite the PANYNJ boondoggle. I guess it's fitting, then.

Comments from an article on the replacement:
...The authority received 13 comments during public comment period between Feb. 11 to March 12, 2021 on the plan. The most critical comments questioned if a 2,200- foot walk between the proposed Station 3 to Terminal B would deter people from using the AirTrain, even if proposed moving sidewalks were installed. “This plan is especially unfair to the elderly and the disabled, but anyone with bags will hesitate to use this new AirTrain given the long walk to Terminals B and C,” wrote one commentor, Brad Rusoff, in an email. He also said the the current $10.75 combined AirTrain/NJ Transit fare from Newark Penn Station to the airport makes using a for hire vehicle more attractive. “Add in the long walk to from the proposed AirTrain to the terminals and skipping the AirTrain will be a no brainer,” Rusoff said.
Here is a map of the proposed replacement:


SPN Lifer likes this.
Xyzzy is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread