Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

End of year SFO-NYC, will prices go up or down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

I'm about to make a nonstop RT SFO-NYC reservation for the end of the year outside of peak days. Do you think prices might go or down compared to today?
Old May 22, 2021, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vanillabean
... Do you think prices might go or down compared to today?
It does not matter -- if prices go down, just do a free change to the lower price, and get a flight credit for the delta. If the fares go up, you are set.
vanillabean, PTahCha and malgudi like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Last year, I recall some really good Y and J deals, even closer-in. I don't see that happening this year, and would expect price to remain high and continue to go up, even as capacity increases.

I think the days of $99 (or less) one way / $198 (or less) roundtrip non-basic economy tickets are sadly behind us for transcon flights
Old May 22, 2021, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Do you think prices might go or down compared to today?
Yes, they will.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:05 pm

united 1k flyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be helpful to know what you think are "peak days" as it may not be the same as what the airlines consider them to be. AA, AS, DL, and UA all have the exact same $135.40 one-way, 21-day advance purchase fare as their cheapest fare on this route. With AA, this is actually a main cabin fare as they pulled their domestic Basic Economy fares last fall. With AS, DL, and UA, there is a $40 upcharge for main cabin. The availability of this fare and other fares is controlled by a combination of bucket availability and possibly other factors (like blackout dates and fare surcharges). While they may adjust the pricing of their fares at some point, it likely won't get much lower than that fare. AS actually blacks out the availability of that fare (it's part of the fare rules) from 12/17-12/19, 12/21-12/23, 12/26-12/29, and 1/1-1/3. DL and AA don't have blackout dates for the fare, but they do have fare surcharges on most or all of the days that AS blacks out. So that pretty much tells you what the airlines consider to be "peak days". Note that the peak demand days actually begin the weekend before Christmas. UA neither has surcharges or blackout dates and solely relies on bucket availability to control pricing.

Right now, UA has bucket availability ("O" bucket) for those $135.40 fares for flights on SFO-EWR on 12/24 and 12/25. Unless there are new fare filings, those flights are not going to get cheaper and that is probably about the best fares you will see. Return flights are more challenging and the cheapest return date on UA in late December is on 12/31 at $278.40 (also a Basic Economy fare). You could book the outbound and see if they open up lower fare buckets on return flights at some point. Or perhaps consider using another carrier for return. Since you are an AS elite, I would assume you also might consider AA/AS flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 23, 2021 at 8:23 am
Old May 23, 2021, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Thank you for your kind (and unified) advice. I have now purchased the economy tickets back and forth for my wife and me and looking forward to some Broadway shows.

Originally Posted by xliioper
It would be helpful to know what you think are "peak days" as it may not be the same as what the airlines consider them to be. AA, AS, DL, and UA all have the exact same $135.40 one-way, ...
Outside of the high priced holidays, so yes.

Originally Posted by xliioper
... Since you are an AS elite, I would assume you also might consider AA/AS flights.
True. It’s just that we have some travel credits with United from early pandemic reservations that we cancelled. And we would like to use them while we still have the Club Infinite card.

"If you received your future flight credit from canceling a flight, you'll only be able to use one per purchase. If you received a future flight credit from changing to a less expensive flight, you can use multiple credits in one purchase.” So we used one credit for outgoing and one for returning.

Secondarily, I’ve been itching to get on a domestic 777-200 ever since a few years ago our connecting BOS-SFO from Europe was so packed we were each given $800 (plus lunch) to take another (smaller) flight two hours later.

We got main economy to make sure we’re sitting in a two seat section, available in rows 37, 40 and 48-51 on either side. If you were to pick such seats, where would you want to sit?
Old May 23, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Secondarily, I’ve been itching to get on a domestic 777-200 ever since a few years ago our connecting BOS-SFO from Europe was so packed we were each given $800 (plus lunch) to take another (smaller) flight two hours later.

We got main economy to make sure we’re sitting in a two seat section, available in rows 37, 40 and 48-51 on either side. If you were to pick such seats, where would you want to sit?
As most in this forum have UA status, we are generally in E+ or forward but there are some comments in Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-) - FlyerTalk Forums
(and be careful, their are two versions where window row 37,39,40 may or may not be 2 seaters - will not know most likely config until 2 days before travel and can change after that)

However be aware those planes are UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 777-200 (PW Power); Impacts on aircraft assignments and their return date is uncertain.
vanillabean likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2021 at 12:36 pm Reason: row 37,39,40
Old May 30, 2021, 12:05 am

Looking at most domestic flights right now, high most definitely. As others have already said.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It does not matter -- if prices go down, just do a free change to the lower price, and get a flight credit for the delta. If the fares go up, you are set.
You can change to the same flight you were already scheduled on and receive the difference as a credit? I didn't know that was possible.
Old May 30, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cerps343
You can change to the same flight you were already scheduled on and receive the difference as a credit? I didn't know that was possible.
Yes, but not online. And if upgraded, you may lose the upgrade.

Online workaround is to change to another flight and then change back. With no change fees.

Also will not work for post 31 April 2021 purchased BE tickets.
cerps343 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:36 pm

I'm about to make a nonstop RT SFO-NYC reservation for the end of the year outside of peak days. Do you think prices might go or down compared to today?
If we had that kind of ability to predict the future ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.