Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Welcome back with an upgrade"

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by lancelot21
When I started flying, the only surprise I got was to have one of my two paid first segments downgraded to coach! (With adequate compensation). Nothing on the two segments that were booked in coach except to start and end at #2 on the upgrade list. If the flight is short and first is empty, that can make sense. But my limited impression is that upgrades are scarce, and first often affordable, so not gambling makes sense.
Just another case of rewarding the wrong people.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
As an AA EXP batting 1.000 for upgrades, it's amazing just how bad even GS has it at CPUs. ToD upgrades do seem to be the difference.
AA has those upgrades also. I’d be wondering what’s wrong at AA if every flight got an upgrade.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
AA has those upgrades also. I’d be wondering what’s wrong at AA if every flight got an upgrade.
UA is better than AA at FCM (first class monetization)?

Putting aside different carriers, comparing one person's upgrade rate, however good or bad, has no relevance to someone else's upgrade rate. It speaks nothing about the day of travel, the time of travel, routing, and many other factors.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
like the other GS posted, CPU’s are very unreliable plus I’m trying to burn through my PPs… I had a 1000 at the beginning of the year.

2 days out and still no upgrade… #1 on the list though, lol. United did send me an offer to upgrade for $206… won’t be the first time in the past six months that PP upgrades haven’t cleared…
Old May 26, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dyce
So rewarding customers who haven’t flown in a while by reducing the upgrades for those of us that have continued flying throughout the pandemic.

im booked on a paid 2.5 hour UAX flight next week, I’m GS, put in for a PP upgrade weeks ago, 5 open F seats on a 175, and still waitlisted.
He said F was pretty open so I doubt any existing premier customers were inconvenienced. The route and expected customer load really makes a difference.
SPN Lifer and SFO1974 like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
He said F was pretty open so I doubt any existing premier customers were inconvenienced. The route and expected customer load really makes a difference.
Yeah, this is a 12F A319, and I was the third allocated seat. There's still 8 empty two weeks out.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjg59
Yeah, this is a 12F A319, and I was the third allocated seat. There's still 8 empty two weeks out.
I am sure they know well what routes/flights have pretty much 100% CPU chance and essentially cleared you early as a nice gesture.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
I am sure they know well what routes/flights have pretty much 100% CPU chance and essentially cleared you early as a nice gesture.
Yes, that was my assumption - upgrade someone who's almost certainly going to be upgraded anyway, but do it in a way that shows you're paying attention to it being their first flight post-pandemic. It feels like an easy win (it's unlikely anyone gets disadvantaged, I get to feel special), I'm just surprised it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else (or maybe you've all been flying - my company shut down all travel and my partner's got various high risk factors around COVID, so I haven't been anywhere near an airport since this began…)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.