Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sequence Numbers: What are they, how are they used & other questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sequence numbers are an indication of the order in which passengers have checked in for the flight
Checkin time / lower sequence number can be a tie break for CPU priority
Sequence numbers can appears on BPs - printed or mobile
If the GA agent needs to manually enter your BP (such as scanning problems) they may use the sequence number to quickly look up your BP.

Some times when checking in at T-24, you notice your sequence number is higher than you expected: potential reasons are
1) Those on earlier connecting flights that checked in earlier got check-in for the flight before you did.
2) If the flight number is used for an multiple flights in a day, just one set of sequences is used for a flight number each day.
3) A group -- tour, sports team, .... -- checked in earlier

Sequence number "--" could indicate an issue. You may need to uncheck-in and re-checkin.

Print Wikipost

Sequence Numbers: What are they, how are they used & other questions?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
When I lived in Germany, flying back to the States, I often got single-digit sequence numbers on my United longhaul flights out of FRA, MUC, and ZRH. With check-in at T-30 or T-24 hours out of my origin city, I would be one of the first checked in on the United longhaul connection.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Does the sequence number on the boarding pass still mean your check-in position? I am on a flight where my sequence number exceed the number of aircraft seats. No aircraft changes.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Does the sequence number on the boarding pass still mean your check-in position? I am on a flight where my sequence number exceed the number of aircraft seats. No aircraft changes.
The numbering starts with the first flight of the day of that flight number. If the flight number is reused (in a 24 hour period) , it does not reset to 1.
jsloan and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The numbering starts with the first flight of the day of that flight number. If the flight number is reused (in a 24 hour period) , it does not reset to 1.
Additionally, when people change off of a flight, sequence number does not decrement.

When checking in within last two hours before departure of the flight, I often wind up with a sequence number much higher than the aircraft capacity.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks. This was the primary reason then. Checked the flight number, and there was another flight earlier in the day, of a different city pairing.

I also checked in fairly late, as I was flying on a separate ticket.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:31 pm

Sequence # 243 on a 737-800?

How is this possible? Is it the cumulative number of passengers on prior flights with the same number?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:39 pm

Had sequence number 332 on a 752 flight last summer, but it was a last minute change due to delays with my original flight. Should add that there were 2 more segments after my flight.
malgudi likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2024 at 11:24 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe a thru flight (2 segments w/ same flight #)?

Edit: As suggested by OP
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Sequence numbers don't get recycled. So if 100 people miss their flight and get rebooked, their sequence numbers don't get recycled.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
How is this possible? Is it the cumulative number of passengers on prior flights with the same number?
Yes. The count resets "daily" for each flight number
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:17 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Obviously this thread is calling for a challenge for the highest sequence number on a BP, because, well, ….FlyerTalk…
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.