Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sequence Numbers: What are they, how are they used & other questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sequence numbers are an indication of the order in which passengers have checked in for the flight
Checkin time / lower sequence number can be a tie break for CPU priority
Sequence numbers can appears on BPs - printed or mobile
If the GA agent needs to manually enter your BP (such as scanning problems) they may use the sequence number to quickly look up your BP.

Some times when checking in at T-24, you notice your sequence number is higher than you expected: potential reasons are
1) Those on earlier connecting flights that checked in earlier got check-in for the flight before you did.
2) If the flight number is used for an multiple flights in a day, just one set of sequences is used for a flight number each day.
3) A group -- tour, sports team, .... -- checked in earlier

Sequence number "--" could indicate an issue. You may need to uncheck-in and re-checkin.

Print Wikipost

Sequence Numbers: What are they, how are they used & other questions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yesterday I had my mobile boarding pass and it didn't have a sequence number... at the boarding the MBP scanned but also beeped.

The Gate Agent look at the MBP and realized it needed a sequence number, got into the computer typed in some command (in green dos) got the number from a long string of results, then typed it into a GUI interface to complete.
The GA definitely knew what they were doing the fix only took like 5 seconds! ^
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I meant to comment on this one a while back. I was flying XXX-ORD-MBS. Checked in at XXX about 6 hours before the ORD-MBS flight. On a 50-seat CRJ, I was sequence #53. Not sure how that happened. (The ORD-MBS was never even booked to 50, and went out with a half-dozen empty seats).

Figure that one out!
I was getting very low Seq numbers pre 3/3 on CO. Post 3/3 i have very high Seq numbers. I always check in at 24 hours due to the upgrade tie-breaker.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I meant to comment on this one a while back. I was flying XXX-ORD-MBS. Checked in at XXX about 6 hours before the ORD-MBS flight. On a 50-seat CRJ, I was sequence #53. Not sure how that happened. (The ORD-MBS was never even booked to 50, and went out with a half-dozen empty seats).

Figure that one out!

I think SHARES just adds the next higher sequence number anytime someone is checked-in, regardless if there are lower sequence numbers of people that were taken off or moved to another flight. I've had sequence numbers on Thurs evening ORD-DCA flights in the high 180s, even though the A320 flown only holds 144.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
hah this is where my hobby of hoarding boarding passes comes in handy for once.

pmua didn't have them.

<snip>
My bad then. I thought UA had them, but I must have been mistaken.

And I also hoard boarding passes, but not at home at the moment to go back and check my old UA ones....so I will take you at your word as a fellow collector
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I think SHARES just adds the next higher sequence number anytime someone is checked-in, regardless if there are lower sequence numbers of people that were taken off or moved to another flight. I've had sequence numbers on Thurs evening ORD-DCA flights in the high 180s, even though the A320 flown only holds 144.
I think you're right...on a flight last weekend I was #312 on a 739, although that might be due to a different issue since that would imply over half the plane essentially checked in twice.

312 wasn't my original sequence number...I was initially 182 but I tried to standby for an earlier flight and when they closed that flight, I was for some reason taken off my confirmed flight. So I was caught in some sort of momentary purgatory where I wasn't on either flight. When the GA added me back to the flight, seq went from 182 to 312.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:52 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Don't forget about "direct" flights. Years back on CO I flew IAH-EZE (continuation of FRA-EWR-IAH-EZE) on a 762 and the seq. # was close to 500.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
How do sequence numbers work?

When I look at my boarding pass for a flight tomorrow I see I am "Sequence number" 157. Now, I thought that was based on the order in which one checks in (if I'm able to check in T-30 hrs, for example with a connecting flight I often get Sequence number 1-5), however, for tomorrow's flight, I'm on a 737-800 with 154 seats, and I'm checked in at T-22hrs...

.....am I supposed to believe that 156 people have checked in for that flight before me? (i.e. A total of 3 over capacity, 22hrs in advance?!). Or is there something I'm missing in my belief here?

Curiosity more than anything else.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by GroundStop
When I look at my boarding pass for a flight tomorrow I see I am "Sequence number" 157. Now, I thought that was based on the order in which one checks in (if I'm able to check in T-30 hrs, for example with a connecting flight I often get Sequence number 1-5), however, for tomorrow's flight, I'm on a 737-800 with 154 seats, and I'm checked in at T-22hrs...

.....am I supposed to believe that 156 people have checked in for that flight before me? (i.e. A total of 3 over capacity, 22hrs in advance?!). Or is there something I'm missing in my belief here?

Curiosity more than anything else.
I'm sure there's some rationale. As far as I can tell, it's clear that not all numbers are used on all flights. Also, it seems like a T-24 (or before depending on your connection) it starts out at 1 (I've been as low as 2), but that at some point it can skip groups of numbers. I've been 200+ on a flight with ~160 seats. And 300+ on a flight with ~180 seats.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
If there's another flight with that number, it is in the same sequence series.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by pinerd
That makes sense! Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Ah, makes sense. I'm on 1240 from LAX-SFO, but prior to that there's flight 1240 from IAH-LAX, so would explain it.

Can always rely on FT to explain life's (usually inconsequential) mysteries!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:50 am

That's one reason. Plus if you get unchecked in, that sequence number isn't recycled for someone else.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I just checked in T-24 for a flight, hadn't used United Moble Boarding passes before (mostly because the regional airports I've been in haven't had them, and Chicago has been US airways for me)..

I was wondering what SEQ was as well, since it showed a 1 for me. Reading this makes me think that's kind of cool I was the first to check in I guess?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BThumme
I just checked in T-24 for a flight, hadn't used United Moble Boarding passes before (mostly because the regional airports I've been in haven't had them, and Chicago has been US airways for me)..

I was wondering what SEQ was as well, since it showed a 1 for me. Reading this makes me think that's kind of cool I was the first to check in I guess?
Yes, you were the first to check on in this flight number.

Hence, you'll beat one of the final tie-breakers for CPU.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:03 pm

Every once in a while, something goes wrong at the gate (e.g., during irrops), and the GA starts collecting paper boarding passes. With the ones printed at home, the GA just tears of the corner that has the sequence number on it. That's all they need.

The other day, auto-check-in on the return flight gave me #2. On the outbound flight, I checked in at T-24 and got #221. I suppose pretty much everyone else was connecting and checked in earlier than T-24. Or they all were on their return, and auto-check-in had already run.

Now that time of check-in is no longer a significant tie-breaker, it doesn't really matter anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.