Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Converting Fully Refundable One Way “Back-Up” Ticket To Existing R/T If UA Cancels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Fully Refundable One Way “Back-Up” Ticket To Existing R/T If UA Cancels

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Booked R/T FC NS UA363 EWR-HNL, UA has already changed itinerary once (without notice).

363 is almost fully booked around my departure date and I’m a bit over-anxious about a worst case scenario; being a bit older, I really want the non-stop.

If I purchase a OW fully refundable EWR-HNL ticket for day after original departure and existing EWR-HNL flight is cancelled/equipment swap/connection added by UA will it be possible to:

Replace outbound with the next-day ticket keeping the return flight intact?

If so, what would the fare implications be, will UA refund the (hefty) fare difference or are there just too many moving parts?

I guess what I’m trying to do is use the next day refundable as a place holder, and cancel if no problems arise.

Mahalo for your input.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tdowl5757

Replace outbound with the next-day ticket keeping the return flight intact?
No. The return flight will cancel if you cancel the RT. In order to hold the return flight, you'll need to change the RT to a one-way return on the date you want.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
..If I purchase a OW fully refundable EWR-HNL ticket for day after original departure and existing EWR-HNL
Buying two seats with intention of using only one violates Contract of Carriage. Such a purchase potentially 1) precludes another from buying a ticket and 2) deprives UA of revenue.

The last thing airlines want is passengers buying a bunch of seats that aren't going to be used.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 13, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, so a United Club agent could take care of this?

OK thanks IAH, did not know this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 13, 2021 at 3:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 13, 2021, 2:58 pm

Thanks, so a United Club agent could take care of this?
Any agent - or online. Keep in mind, if you change the RT to a one-way return, the price likely goes up, perhaps quite a bit. It'll be like purchasing a new ticket.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Any agent - or online. Keep in mind, if you change the RT to a one-way return, the price likely goes up, perhaps quite a bit. It'll be like purchasing a new ticket.
Based on IAH's contract of carriage note, looks like no can do...

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Buying two seats with intention of using only one violates Contract of Carriage. Such a purchase potentially 1) precludes another from buying a ticket and 2) deprives UA of revenue.

The last thing airlines want is passengers buying a bunch of seats that aren't going to be used.
Copy that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 13, 2021 at 3:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 13, 2021, 3:19 pm

Based on IAH's contract of carriage note, looks like no can do...

Copy that.
The odds of a speculative booking of a fully refundable ticket causing a problem is quite low if not abused.

Take Hawaiian out of JFK if you are that worried about the flight
Old May 13, 2021, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You can not take two separate reservations and combine / merge them in any way.

For a given reservation, if you skip segment without formally changing the ticket, the remaining segments will be cancelled. Removing the first segment will reprice the return based on the prices at the time of the change.

Holding separate reservations on separate days (with the intent of flying just one) is a violation of your contract with UA --- but in reality it is not going to be noticed. But holding space does prevent it from being purchased by another traveler -- not very courtesy of the other travelers.

Yes, UA has been changing flights, but if the flight is regularly operating as a non-stop (which it is), I would not be concern that a random day would turn into a change in routing. Not sure there is any need for the backup flight.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not take two separate reservations and combine / merge them in any way.

For a given reservation, if you skip segment without formally changing the ticket, the remaining segments will be cancelled. Removing the first segment will reprice the return based on the prices at the time of the change.

Holding separate reservations on separate days (with the intent of flying just one) is a violation of your contract with UA --- but in reality it is not going to be noticed. But holding space does prevent it from being purchased by another traveler -- not very courtesy of the other travelers.

Yes, UA has been changing flights, but if the flight is regularly operating as a non-stop (which it is), I would not be concern that a random day would turn into a change in routing. Not sure there is any need for the backup flight.

understood thanks.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The odds of a speculative booking of a fully refundable ticket causing a problem is quite low if not abused.

Take Hawaiian out of JFK if you are that worried about the flight
Right I used to fly HA all the time until they raised prices/miles, anyway I’m already booked on United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 13, 2021 at 4:28 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 14, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt this flt will cancel - most restrictions are gone and demand is high.
If your flt is canceled you should be able to call and request another nonstop the following day.
You can not merge existing backup with original return.
In theory if the next day is sold out and your flt is canceled you can cancel placeholder, release a seat and immediately call to rebook hoping that seat is there - an unlikely scenario overall imo.
I don't see booking on separate days as coc violation and it seems perfectly ethical and sensible in the days when airlines routinely sell tickets and cancel flights.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
I don't see booking on separate days as coc violation
Irrelevant. Only UA's opinion matters, and they clearly would see this as a violation if they noticed it.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.