Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Hide Wikipost
Old May 7, 22, 5:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United and Abbott Partner to Make Return to U.S. "Worry Free" for International Travelers with Home-Testing Kits

Newly issued guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now accepts rapid, self-administered testing option that meet its criteria
United customers can depart the U.S. with the Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform to re-enter the U.S.

CHICAGO and ABBOTT PARK, Ill., May 12, 2021
-- United and Abbott today announced a first-of-its-kind collaboration to use Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Home Test and Abbott's NAVICA app to help make the international travel experience more seamless. Recently updated CDC guidelines permit travelers to self-administer a rapid antigen test under the real-time supervision of a telehealth service and use the verified negative test result to board an international flight to the U.S. if they test negative.

"We appreciate the private sector proactively helping travelers have access to easy, reliable COVID-19 test options," said CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH. "Comprehensive testing that is easy, rapid, accurate and trusted is a fundamental strategy for preventing the spread of COVID-19."

United customers can depart the United States with the BinaxNOW Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform while overseas, avoiding the need to find a testing center abroad. United is the only airline to offer end-to-end integration between a digital platform and a testing app with the integration between the United Travel Ready Center platform and Abbott's NAVICA app which provides a seamless passenger experience when departing and re-entering the United States. Since the Travel-Ready Center launched in January, United customers have been able to easily access testing or vaccine requirements needed for travel destinations, upload completed test results and vaccine records, as well as have them verified, all within the United app.

"We want to give our customers greater peace of mind that when they travel internationally, they'll be able to return to the U.S quickly and safely," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "The Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test meets CDC requirements and, along with our partners at Abbott, United is doubling down on our commitment to make international travel as safe and convenient as possible by offering an easy testing option when customers are ready to return to the United States."

The BinaxNOW Home Test kit is lightweight, about the size of a day planner and fits easily into a passenger's carry-on luggage, briefcase or purse. It is recommended that passengers travel with more than one BinaxNOW test in their possession in the event of an inconclusive test result.

"The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test is the most studied and widely used rapid test in the United States today and with our partner United, we're making testing even more broadly available as the country returns to international business and leisure travel," said Andrea F. Wainer, executive vice president of Abbott's rapid and molecular diagnostics business. "The CDC's recent guidance also reinforces the importance of our NAVICA app, because airlines and other safety-conscious industries, such as workplaces and higher education, will need digital solutions that can be used to quickly and easily validate and verify test results."

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test can help restore a sense of normalcy to everyday life by reuniting family members and loved ones, providing additional confidence while traveling, and making it easier to do international business. Authorized since August 2020, more than 200 million BinaxNOW tests have been distributed throughout the United States, where they've been used by K-12 schools, universities, nursing homes, and underserved communities and serve as a powerful tool to help prevent the virus from spreading.

For a detailed description of the Abbott home-testing process, visit united.emed.com. To view video and photos of the process click here.

The Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test meets the the CDC's guidance due to the unique digital proctor experience through eMed, which provides observed sample collection, testing and digitally verified test results. Abbott's recently authorized BinaxNOW™ Self Test for over-the-counter purchase is not eligible for travel purposes.
The BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2. This test is authorized for prescription home use with self-collected observed direct anterior nasal (nares) swab samples from individuals aged 15 years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset or adult collected nasal swab samples from individuals aged four years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset.

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is to be performed only with the supervision of a telehealth proctor.

Related thread: Be Careful! EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica MELTDOWN. Impossible to get test done.
Print Wikipost

Old May 7, 22, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by smxflyer View Post
I'm flying FCO-ORD on 5/9. I just took a test on 5/8 in Italy using eMed proctor as we have an early wakeup. My test result shows 5/7 at 22:40 UTC. Will there be any issues with the test result? I did not link it to Navica as I thought that part was not necessary as long as I had the PDF.
I would think so.

What timezone is the device that you took the test set to?

Maybe this has already been reported but I just noticed that the Navica app adjusts the test timestamps to local time based on the timezone setting of the device. All of my PDF results have the correct date and the device I use is always set to the correct timezone of the location that I am testing at.
Old May 7, 22, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
I would think so.

What timezone is the device that you took the test set to?

Maybe this has already been reported but I just noticed that the Navica app adjusts the test timestamps to local time based on the timezone setting of the device. All of my PDF results have the correct date and the device I use is always set to the correct timezone of the location that I am testing at.
My issue is that I didn't sign in to Navica. All I have is the pdf email from emed which is 5/7 22:40 UTC time. Fwiw, United approved the pdf in the travel ready center so I should be good to go.
Old May 7, 22, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by smxflyer View Post
My issue is that I didn't sign in to Navica. All I have is the pdf email from emed which is 5/7 22:40 UTC time. Fwiw, United approved the pdf in the travel ready center so I should be good to go.
Good luck!

David
Old May 8, 22, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by pbh220 View Post
2. Hearing about folks testing positive: so I ordered another 2 tests (hope we receive it before we leave).
Are you talking about getting the "regular" BinaxNow tests so you can verify before the actual test? The one that is approved for travel verification comes in a pack of 6
Old May 17, 22, 9:30 am

Hello,

I'm flying Istanbul to London on Turkish and then London to USA on United. Do you know if Turkish will accept a negative test result for entry into USA from the Abbott Binax at home test to allow me to board in Istanbul for entry into the USA? I've used it several times with United on a direct AMS-IAH flight but am wondering if I will be able to do so in Istanbul when the first flight is on TK.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 22, 9:33 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by DoneNunyez View Post
I'm flying Istanbul to London on Turkish and then London to USA on United. Do you know if Turkish will accept a negative test result for entry into USA from the Abbott Binax at home test to allow me to board in Istanbul for entry into the USA? I've used it several times with United on a direct AMS-IAH flight but am wondering if I will be able to do so in Istanbul when the first flight is on TK.
I was wondering if United accepted an unproctored Binax test without a certificate? If so, how?
Old May 17, 22, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I was wondering if United accepted an unproctored Binax test without a certificate? If so, how?
No.
Old May 17, 22, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I would use it in accordance with the instructions--i.e., with a proctor and with a certificate. Would that be acceptable for boarding / departing from IST on TK where the flight into the US is on UA?
Old May 17, 22, 10:50 am

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I would use it in accordance with the instructions--i.e., with a proctor and with a certificate. Would that be acceptable for boarding / departing from IST on TK where the flight into the US is on UA?
yes
Old May 20, 22, 7:16 am

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but I will ask here. I have a flight IST-LHR (on TK) then same day LHR-IAH (on UA). In Istanbul, will the airport staff allow me to check in and board using the results of a proctored Abbott Binax covid test? Or will I need printed results from an in-person test? Thanks!
Old May 20, 22, 7:20 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but I will ask here. I have a flight IST-LHR (on TK) then same day LHR-IAH (on UA). In Istanbul, will the airport staff allow me to check in and board using the results of a proctored Abbott Binax covid test? Or will I need printed results from an in-person test? Thanks!
Are they on the same or separate bookings? If separate, TK staff will not ask anything for the LHR flight, since tk does not care of your eligibility to enter USA.

It's always the safest to have a paper copy of a test result. Your phone may die or lost etc.
Old May 20, 22, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ovacikar View Post
Are they on the same or separate bookings? If separate, TK staff will not ask anything for the LHR flight, since tk does not care of your eligibility to enter USA.

It's always the safest to have a paper copy of a test result. Your phone may die or lost etc.
Thanks. They are on the same booking. Does that change anything?
Old May 20, 22, 9:02 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton
Thanks. They are on the same booking. Does that change anything?
Yes, you will be asked to show test result both departures, Again it is always best to have a paper copy of any travel document.

Not sure what you mean by proctored abbot binax test, it has to be administered by a telehealth provider such as EMed. At home tests are not accepted by CDC for travel.

Last edited by ovacikar; May 20, 22 at 9:07 am
Old Jun 5, 22, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by ovacikar View Post
Not sure what you mean by proctored abbot binax test, it has to be administered by a telehealth provider such as EMed.
proctored = supervised by a telehealth proctor (such as eMed)
Old Jun 5, 22, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver
General Observations / Tips

Having just completed this a few days ago for return to U.S. from Europe, thought I'd share a few observations / tips in the hopes it may benefit others:

(1) Set up your eMed and NAVICA accounts prior to travel.
(2) Consider bringing a regular / non-proctored at-home rapid test with you. That way, you can test yourself with that one immediately prior to the proctored test for peace of mind, knowing you'll get a negative result on the test that counts.
(3) If you haven't used the BinaxNOW rapid test before, get one and familiarize yourself with it (could use it as the "pre-test" from #2 above). Both my proctor, as well as my family member's, were from overseas and their heavy accents and poor internet connection made it nearly impossible for us to understand the instructions they were giving us. I had taken the regular BinaxNOW test multiple times before and was familiar with the steps, so was not an issue for me. My family member, however, had not. I helped her through the "pre-test" but had we not done that, she would have had a lot of difficulty as she couldn't understand the proctor.
(4) When ready to test, go to the eMed login page (https://www.emed.com/app/login) and select "I want to start testing" and log in. This will bring you to a page where you can log in to your NAVICA account. Allow eMed to share your test result with NAVICA. Then select person taking the test, current location, reason for testing, and airline. Next, it will test your device's camera, audio, and internet connection, then connect you to a proctor.
(5) It's easier if you use a laptop vs phone / tablet. You'll have to move the camera between your face (when swabbing) and the test card on the table. Moving the laptop screen up and down still allows you to see what the proctor is seeing, plus there's no wobble.
(6) Both of our proctors' internet connections were poor, with audio breaking up throughout the session. At one point, my proctor's internet connection apparently completely froze. It did not end the session, however. I didn't touch anything on my end and just waited. Took less than a minute for the proctor to rejoin the session and we picked up where we left off.
(7) When the test is complete, you will see the following in the NAVICA app (may take a couple minutes to show up):

(8) At T-24, check in using the United app. In the Travel Ready Center, you now have the option to allow NAVICA to share your test result with United. Once you do this, the result is immediately accepted by United and (assuming no other issues) you will receive your mobile boarding pass:

Overall, I found the process to be pretty easy, and the integration between the United app and NAVICA was seamless. Can whole-heartedly recommend.
bamboola, SPN Lifer and drewguy like this.

Search this Thread