Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Hide Wikipost
Old May 7, 22, 5:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United and Abbott Partner to Make Return to U.S. "Worry Free" for International Travelers with Home-Testing Kits

Newly issued guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now accepts rapid, self-administered testing option that meet its criteria
United customers can depart the U.S. with the Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform to re-enter the U.S.

CHICAGO and ABBOTT PARK, Ill., May 12, 2021
-- United and Abbott today announced a first-of-its-kind collaboration to use Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Home Test and Abbott's NAVICA app to help make the international travel experience more seamless. Recently updated CDC guidelines permit travelers to self-administer a rapid antigen test under the real-time supervision of a telehealth service and use the verified negative test result to board an international flight to the U.S. if they test negative.

"We appreciate the private sector proactively helping travelers have access to easy, reliable COVID-19 test options," said CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH. "Comprehensive testing that is easy, rapid, accurate and trusted is a fundamental strategy for preventing the spread of COVID-19."

United customers can depart the United States with the BinaxNOW Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform while overseas, avoiding the need to find a testing center abroad. United is the only airline to offer end-to-end integration between a digital platform and a testing app with the integration between the United Travel Ready Center platform and Abbott's NAVICA app which provides a seamless passenger experience when departing and re-entering the United States. Since the Travel-Ready Center launched in January, United customers have been able to easily access testing or vaccine requirements needed for travel destinations, upload completed test results and vaccine records, as well as have them verified, all within the United app.

"We want to give our customers greater peace of mind that when they travel internationally, they'll be able to return to the U.S quickly and safely," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "The Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test meets CDC requirements and, along with our partners at Abbott, United is doubling down on our commitment to make international travel as safe and convenient as possible by offering an easy testing option when customers are ready to return to the United States."

The BinaxNOW Home Test kit is lightweight, about the size of a day planner and fits easily into a passenger's carry-on luggage, briefcase or purse. It is recommended that passengers travel with more than one BinaxNOW test in their possession in the event of an inconclusive test result.

"The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test is the most studied and widely used rapid test in the United States today and with our partner United, we're making testing even more broadly available as the country returns to international business and leisure travel," said Andrea F. Wainer, executive vice president of Abbott's rapid and molecular diagnostics business. "The CDC's recent guidance also reinforces the importance of our NAVICA app, because airlines and other safety-conscious industries, such as workplaces and higher education, will need digital solutions that can be used to quickly and easily validate and verify test results."

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test can help restore a sense of normalcy to everyday life by reuniting family members and loved ones, providing additional confidence while traveling, and making it easier to do international business. Authorized since August 2020, more than 200 million BinaxNOW tests have been distributed throughout the United States, where they've been used by K-12 schools, universities, nursing homes, and underserved communities and serve as a powerful tool to help prevent the virus from spreading.

For a detailed description of the Abbott home-testing process, visit united.emed.com. To view video and photos of the process click here.

The Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test meets the the CDC's guidance due to the unique digital proctor experience through eMed, which provides observed sample collection, testing and digitally verified test results. Abbott's recently authorized BinaxNOW™ Self Test for over-the-counter purchase is not eligible for travel purposes.
The BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2. This test is authorized for prescription home use with self-collected observed direct anterior nasal (nares) swab samples from individuals aged 15 years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset or adult collected nasal swab samples from individuals aged four years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset.

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is to be performed only with the supervision of a telehealth proctor.

Related thread: Be Careful! EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica MELTDOWN. Impossible to get test done.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 19, 21, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT
FWIW, tests ordered on eMed.com last Monday were manufactured on December 6 of this year, with an expiration date of 11/22.
uanj, BTA, DEN and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 21, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by legalalien View Post
FWIW, tests ordered on eMed.com last Monday were manufactured on December 6 of this year, with an expiration date of 11/22.
That's great. In October, I ordered a box of three tests...but, through some fluke, they sent me six tests. They all expire (even with the three month FDA extension) between today (Dec 19) and early January. Mrs Lancelot and I used two of the tests. I would have liked to use them again for a trip in January, but they'll all be expired.
Old Jan 1, 22, 5:28 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I seem to remember a thread about acquiring the home based COVID test but cannot find the link as I need to acquire one of the tests to catch my return flight from SYD in a couple of weeks as tests are difficult to obtain in Australia - per my parents.

Can anyone help me with the link please? Thank you. I searched the United website and cannot find where to purchase them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 22 at 5:51 pm Reason: Moved to the subject thread
Old Jan 1, 22, 5:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
.... Can anyone help me with the link please? Thank you. I searched the United website and cannot find where to purchase them.
Moved your post to the subject thread -- generally you can find these at pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, ..in-store or online) or online (emed.com)-- a few weeks ago they were readily available but the recent surge may have impacted availability
Old Jan 1, 22, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I seem to remember a thread about acquiring the home based COVID test but cannot find the link as I need to acquire one of the tests to catch my return flight from SYD in a couple of weeks as tests are difficult to obtain in Australia - per my parents.

Can anyone help me with the link please? Thank you. I searched the United website and cannot find where to purchase them.
https://united.emed.com/

David
Old Jan 1, 22, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Upon arriving on UA HND-ORD today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a table of complimentary home testing kits available at the ORD international terminal baggage claim. No personal information was required to receive a self testing kit.

-FlyerBeek
Xyzzy and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jan 1, 22, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
... the tamper seal on the actual box is what the proctors look for)....
FWIW, I don't think it even matters the box is open. I've done the test a handful of times and the proctor never asked to see the seal. The first step they want me to do is to open the box, then show them the barcode. The test itself is in a sealed pouch. So the first time they actually see the test is when its already open. They probably just dont want you losing the dropper or swab (which is also sealed). I also dont know how easy it is for the dropper to leak.
I know it says it many places not to open the box but I could have sworn I saw a FAQ or something state that it was still ok if it was open.
But ofcourse, don't go opening up your test for no reason. I'm just saying that if the seal is accidentally broken, it doesnt hurt to try anyways.

Originally Posted by legalalien View Post
I ordered a 2pack and it expires in Feb (prior to my next intel flight). I only needed on but luckily I was able to sell the other one.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
Upon arriving on UA HND-ORD today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a table of complimentary home testing kits available at the ORD international terminal baggage claim. No personal information was required to receive a self testing kit.

-FlyerBeek
​​​​​​​The emed test, or the regular one?
Old Jan 1, 22, 6:31 pm

The emed proctored and the emed non proctored test card and everything are all the same. I wonder if anyone used a non proctored test card and the proctor scanning the serial will alert them to a non proctored test card.
Old Jan 1, 22, 6:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So it does not look like I can get this delivered before I leave the USA. Does anyone know if LAS, DEN, SFO or LAX may have kits available to pick up in person?
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
​​​​​The emed test, or the regular one?
Test being handed out in ORD international arrivals is a "ellume COVID19 home test." Unsure if its virtually proctored, as the box says you need to download an Ellume app prior to taking the test.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 2, 22, 12:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
Test being handed out in ORD international arrivals is a "ellume COVID19 home test." Unsure if its virtually proctored, as the box says you need to download an Ellume app prior to taking the test.

-FlyerBeek
it is not a proctored test and likely not acceptable for entry into the USA or other counties. It is for "home / self-test" use
https://www.ellumehealth.com/product...ovid-home-test

Appears equivalent to BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test

The self-test versions are becoming widely available for "free" but since not proctored, not valid for travel when a test is required.
Old Jan 2, 22, 2:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
So it does not look like I can get this delivered before I leave the USA. Does anyone know if LAS, DEN, SFO or LAX may have kits available to pick up in person?
If you don’t get the at home tests on time and you’re flying from Sydney you can get a test at histopath at the airport. It cost A$60 for an antigen test and I had results within 20 mins with very little wait to take the test. You can prepay for the test online which also registers your details for the certificate. I took mine yesterday on New Year’s Day for a flight today (Jan 2) SYD-SFO. I believe histopath are in other Australian airports if you’re not departing from Sydney.

dont get a free test in Australia. When I arrived in early December it was free and easy to get a test done with results in under 12 hours but now it’s absolutely insane in terms of wait times getting a test and getting results. I took my day 1 and 6 tests at a free testing site (not sure if these tests are still required on entry or not). they send the results via text message with just your first name no other details, and no certificate. They don’t want you using it for travel so this is their way of ensuring you can’t.

have fun in Australia!! nobody else in Australia or overseas really understands how hard it has been for all of us to have been shut out of our own country for almost two years. I was so glad to get to spend a few weeks back home and I’m super happy for all the other Australians abroad getting to return home.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 2P
Observations

1. Took the test kits out of the shipping box to make them easier to fit in soft sided carry on luggage. In transit, the sealed tabs became unsealed due to the kits moving around when pushed into the overhead bin. Was easy to put the sealed tabs back, but if someone were checking, it likely was easy to tell that the seal had been opened.

2. on Xmas Eve, a day with high usage, it was impossible to access the testing site after the first test we took at 8 am with an iPhone or iPad (the iPhone was able to complete the first test). After waiting the requested amount of time for a proctor (20-40 minutes), the iOS devices just kept on waiting. At some point, we tried our windows based laptops which connected promptly after the requested waiting times.

3. During one of the tests, the internet connection was disrupted after we opened the sealed testing packages inside the box. The proctor would not allow us to use that test. Was happy that I had brought extra testing kits along.
goodeats21 likes this.

Last edited by sbglencoe; Jan 2, 22 at 4:57 am
Old Jan 2, 22, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lancelot21 View Post
That's great. In October, I ordered a box of three tests...but, through some fluke, they sent me six tests. They all expire (even with the three month FDA extension) between today (Dec 19) and early January. Mrs Lancelot and I used two of the tests. I would have liked to use them again for a trip in January, but they'll all be expired.
Don't throw them away or anything. From my research, the expiration situation is a bit fluid. (I am by no means an expert, so verify before relying on this...)

My understanding is the Emergency Use Authorization allowed them with a specified expiration date, but as research, testing, and experience with the tests continues to develop the manufacturer can petition the FDA to extend the expiration, which has been done before. If the tests show continued reliability over time, they can theoretically extend the expiration multiple more times.
The difficult part will be knowing what the actual expiration is before trying to take the test. I really hope they would put a function on the app where you can scan the QR code and get the updated expiration date. Seems like that would be fairly easy to do.

Originally Posted by myperks View Post
The emed proctored and the emed non proctored test card and everything are all the same. I wonder if anyone used a non proctored test card and the proctor scanning the serial will alert them to a non proctored test card.
While the test contents are the same, the QR code on the test will indicate which version you purchased. You will not be able to use a regular "at home" test kit for the proctored process.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
it is not a proctored test and likely not acceptable for entry into the USA or other counties...The self-test versions are becoming widely available for "free" but since not proctored, not valid for travel when a test is required.
Yup. Never assumed it would be good for future travel. Just think it's good to see such a common-sense measure used. Almost everyone off my HND-ORD flight grabbed a test kit to take home. Hopefully they will all be used for post-travel self-testing in a few days.

-FlyerBeek

Search this Thread