Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Olympic Amenity Kits -- none for 2022 Olympics, UA not offical airline

Old May 10, 2021, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

Flying today SFO-NRT and noticed that the amenity kits have been replaced by these mesh backpack things. Two colors appear to be available red and blue. Contents the same as usual with a “Team USA” Olympic branding on a patch on the lower right.

Old May 10, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Very cool!!
Old May 10, 2021, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Flying today SFO-NRT and noticed that the amenity kits have been replaced by these mesh backpack things. Two colors appear to be available red and blue. Contents the same as usual with a “Team USA” Olympic branding on a patch on the lower right.

My teenager grandkids like these drawstring packs. And generally not like airline branding , but this maybe OK
Old May 10, 2021, 3:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Someone told me there were supposed to be olympic pjs too... but I don't know if those plans made it through the mess.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by fezzington
Someone told me there were supposed to be olympic pjs too... but I don't know if those plans made it through the mess.
I can confirm the PJs are live too... some sightings “in the wild”.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
OMG having flashbacks to smelly locker rooms!!! Not the best marketing decision.
Old May 10, 2021, 6:26 pm

For me, partnering with the non-profit that supports the top Olympic and Paralympic athletes in the nation seems like total home run.
EWR764, iluv2fly, HNL1K and 2 others like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Very cool, hopefully I can add this one to the collection soon. Is this special to flights to Japan or is this Polaris wide?

Tongue in cheek: Not sure how non-US flyers will feel about this but its not like United cares about them anyways
Old May 10, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA-GS 3MM, AA-gold, Amtrak Select +, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors gold

Got this on my SFO-JFK flight 03 May..same as previous kits just new logo and postcard
m.y and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
Very cool, hopefully I can add this one to the collection soon. Is this special to flights to Japan or is this Polaris wide?

Tongue in cheek: Not sure how non-US flyers will feel about this but its not like United cares about them anyways
I got the PS Olympics amenity kit EWR-SFO and Olympics Polaris PJs and Olympics Polaris amenity kit not flying to Tokyo so I think they are going all out in distribution. Given how few people are flying Polaris the amenity kits and PJs may be around for a while.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I've been to 6 Olympics and am so sad I won't apparently be allowed to Tokyo. I even flew home from Korea and the women's gold medal hockey team in 2018 with a broken leg... they were awesome.

I was flying United economy then, but now I am an AA... shhhh!! None the less I took someone's left behind unwanted amenity kit and it had the coolest pair of red/blue prints on socks. I have worn those things into shreds...
nnn likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2021 at 10:59 pm Reason: Will PM
Old May 11, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Interesting. I like it! Seems more usable than the standard Polaris amenity bag.

I wonder if this is the last Olympic/Paralympic themed United amenity kit we'll see for a long while? As a reminder, in 2019 United elected not to renew it's longstanding sponsorship with Delta later signing an 8-year $400m Olympic sponsorship deal. Ref: https://liveandletsfly.com/united-airlines-olympics/

-FlyerBeek
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I should also note that I am pleased to see UA did not go with tins this time...
uanj, nnn, oopl and 9 others like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I should also note that I am pleased to see UA did not go with tins this time...
No airline should use tins for amenity kits ever. They are not travel friendly in the least.

I don't see any UA branding on these items unless they are on a different side.
EWR764 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
No airline should use tins for amenity kits ever. They are not travel friendly in the least. .....
I think UA was going after the "collectable" or utilitarian reuse but neither worked IMO.
Bags / pouches are better.
Wyfind likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.