Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Baggage Allowance for *Silver BOG-PHL

Old May 6, 21, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold

Booking a ticket BOG-PHL, basic economy is an option. The baggage calculator says Economy cabin tickets get *S one checked bag, however booking through United seems to say no bags at all for Basic Economy... is the baggage calculator just wrong?
Old May 6, 21, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
With BE from BOG (interestingly not N fare, seems similar instead to TATL fares), the site states

but the footnote states
First checked bag charge is based on a standard sized bag. MileagePlus® Premier® members, Star Alliance™ Gold members, and qualifying MileagePlus cardmembers who purchase their tickets with their card will receive standard checked bag benefits when checking in with United for flights operated by United or United Express®. Restrictions may apply. For details, visit our Baggage Information page.
So the screenshot does not take into account status while the bag calculator does.

And the Bag Calculator does not have a BE option

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 21 at 12:33 pm
Old May 6, 21, 12:43 pm

Based on my reading, free bag depends on where you have your *S.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 7, 21, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
So the screenshot does not take into account status while the bag calculator does.

And the Bag Calculator does not have a BE option
But the footnote says *G, and she is *S, so still confused...

The baggage calculator says to use Economy if flying Basic Economy, but based on the chart, that obviously can't be right.

Is different CHECKED baggage allowance new for Basic Economy? I had thought the difference was no carry-on bag.
Old May 7, 21, 5:59 am

I think the baggage calculator webpage isn't coded properly

when I do bog-phl for general/non members, i see two sections (general&nonmembers for economy, general&nonmembers for basic economy) 1 free bag for nonbasic, $30 for first bag for basic

If you choose any status, you'll see two sections (<status> for economy, general&non-member for basic).

both sections contain a banner saying "Check up to <some number> bags at no chargeBaggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid <status> membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to <some number> checked bags (within specified size and weight limits)."

The second section really should be <status> for basic instead of general&non-member for basic

edit: *s doesnt get free bag. unitd premier silver might

Last edited by paperwastage; May 7, 21 at 7:15 pm
Old May 7, 21, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Silver, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
Based on my reading, free bag depends on where you have your *S.
I think myperks nailed it. What airline does she have *S status with? If not United (which she probably doesn't, otherwise you would've said Premier Silver), then she will probably have to pay.

*S status on other airlines pretty much gets you zilch.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 21, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*S from another airline does not confer any baggage benefits. It confers almost no benefits at all.

Is different CHECKED baggage allowance new for Basic Economy? I had thought the difference was no carry-on bag.
Domestic/North America BE is no-carry-on. International BE is no free first checked bag. (Note that domestic flights don't include a free checked bag anyway). BOG appears to be coded under the international rules.

I think BE to BOG is what's new, and that's probably why they haven't updated the calculator yet. WineCountryUA's screenshot is unambiguous.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 7, 21, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
*S with which carrier?
Domestic (BE {N fares} or not) economy does not include a free bag
Intl BE (-LGT) loses the bag allowance but status may still allow free bag(s) -- this has been just TATL but it appears other routes now
The Bag Calculator does not have a BE option -- so it is not coded for the -LGT fares
Old May 7, 21, 10:26 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Per UA site. 1st bag free

per UA site, "Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as standard Economy tickets." With or without *S status, that comes to:

1st Bag Standard: $0 Prepaid: $0 50lbs (23kgs)
Up to 62.0 linear inches (157cm) L + W + H per bag

Last edited by SeamusSA; May 7, 21 at 10:33 pm Reason: typos
Old May 7, 21, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by SeamusSA View Post
per UA site, "Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as standard Economy tickets." ....
But we know that is an incorrect statement. -LGT (non-domestic BE) has no checked bag (if not an elite) where UA explicitly states (in multiple places) this (as posted earlier) -- particularity when you book.
Old May 7, 21, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeamusSA View Post
per UA site, "Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as standard Economy tickets."
Confusingly, United has two products that are both called Basic Economy. They're quite different.
Old May 8, 21, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
*S from another airline does not confer any baggage benefits. It confers almost no benefits at all.
though true as a standard across *A, airlines can be more generous. I can’t remember if it was AC or UA, but I’m pretty sure one of them not too long ago (within the last 5-10 years) used to give *S a free bag. I think UA used to also allow *S to use the premier check in lines (or maybe again Im thinking of AC?).
Old May 10, 21, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
*S with which carrier?
Avianca

Confusingly, United has two products that are both called Basic Economy. They're quite different.
If you're comparing international BE vs domestic BE, it's really not any more different than international Y vs. domestic Y (differing bag allowances based on market for example, free vs. paid food, etc.)

But general consensus seems to be, no free bag for *S in BE on BOG-PHL. (Y gets a free bag, BE doesn't, and *S doesn't change anything.)
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're comparing international BE vs domestic BE, it's really not any more different than international Y vs. domestic Y (differing bag allowances based on market for example, free vs. paid food, etc.)
You may be the one person who wasn't confused, then. UA got huge (negative) press by talking about disallowing carry-on bags on (domestic BE), and then they turned around and created an international BE product that didn't include the same restrictions, even on the domestic connecting leg. I'm confident that I'm not the only person who found it confusing.
Old May 10, 21, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

You may be the one person who wasn't confused, then. UA got huge (negative) press by talking about disallowing carry-on bags on (domestic BE), and then they turned around and created an international BE product that didn't include the same restrictions, even on the domestic connecting leg. I'm confident that I'm not the only person who found it confusing.
That's still not any different than getting the international baggage allowance when you check in for the domestic leg that gets you to the gateway...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: