Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do either of you not yet have the 4 UA segments?
If no, will be interesting to see if you get the credit.

Email is one thing but credit is what would be most interesting.
I have a dozen UA segments already. This promo has no effect on me but still see it as goodwill from UA.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Got the same email in Canada, haven't board any flight this year.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There you go Australians and Canadians - start flying to New Zealand and Vancouver to Toronto......

Europeans can LH - Japanese ANA, etc
So Australian MP members can now fly SYD-AKL on ANZ and requalify for UA 1K. ✈️

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2021 at 9:24 pm Reason: DIscuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I did nt read it that way -- I read that they're not going to give away PQF, but they can certainly continue to give away PQP like candy.
There is a post in the Choose Your Way promo thread from UA Insider in which he seemed (to me) to implicitly say "we're making it rain PQPs this year, that'll be the way to continued status". UA wants revenue and is rewarding with very generous PQPs in the various promotions. Those who don't want to give UA money this year? You're on your own...
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I don't have any regular paid UA segments this year so far. I got this email too.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
PQF? I don't think most people other than my craziness are going step onto 36+ paid UA flights, especially given all of the bonus PQPs the last 2Qs. Also, the difference between lower PQP threshold w/PQF and higher PQP threshold w/o PQF is not that big with overall reduction in requirements.

UA seems to be telegraphing the message of - we are giving you the key, we don't even want your money (directly), but you still have to fly/spend with other carriers (and credit to us) to qualify/re-qualify. And, no more free handouts (extensions).
It's a safe bet to say that UA wants other carriers to pay UA for UA miles credited to UA MileagePlus customer accounts; and it's a safe bet to say that UA wants to keep UA MileagePlus customers abroad to remain engaged with the UA MileagePlus program whether or not they are able/willing to fly UA during this pandemic.

In which foreign markets does UA still have a bank issuing UA-branded credit cards? I know they were to pull out of the UK last summer, but beside that I haven't paid attention to UA credit card products beyond the US.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:18 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
It's a start in the right direction, but again I think they will need to look at the markets a bit more carefully. There are clearly some markets where this is a real breath of fresh air, I'm thinking namely of the EU market which not only has a number of Star Alliance airlines (e.g. LH, LX, OS, SK, TK, A3) but has a number of destinations that can earn the milage necessary to hit whatever requisite PQP requirements there are. On the other hand, some markets may not permit travel on Star Alliance due to various travel restrictions. Other markets, such as Australia, may only have one Star Alliance airline you can fly legally (Air New Zealand) without any restrictions and the potential for earning PQPs on such a market is limited (e.g. 538 PQP on an NZ discounted J fare roundtrip).

Perhaps UA will roll out more bonuses and more waivers for those of us in these international markets where travel is largely restricted. I can certainly get where they are coming from in wanting to get their most loyal customers to come back to them now that travel restrictions are beginning to be lifted. However, I do question whether dropping the 4 segment requirement on UA incentivises the wrong behaviour and punishes their most elite members. Case in point, prior to this COVID nonsense happening, I could count on one hand the number of times I flew a Star Alliance partner during 2019 compared to the many dozens of times I flew UA. What does it say to elites like myself that we won't get our UA status because we couldn't sufficiently cheat on UA in the limited markets where we could fly one of their rivals?

Your Trusty,

Roo Flyer
trust77 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
It is all about PQF. Even credit card spending cannot get PQP without enough PQF. It is not good for UA. They should cancel PQF limit.
Old May 1, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
I'll take what I can get, but being in a country with no domestic travel and border restrictions to all countries (for tourism), I'm probably the 1K they don't mind losing. When I can start traveling back to the USA & Europe, it makes the jump to being a free agent a bit smoother.
Old May 1, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
I'll take what I can get, but being in a country with no domestic travel and border restrictions to all countries (for tourism), I'm probably the 1K they don't mind losing. When I can start traveling back to the USA & Europe, it makes the jump to being a free agent a bit smoother.
I wouldn't sell yourself short. Given what UA has already done, it seems like they aren't taking a one-size fits all approach to all markets. The last thing UA wants to do, I suspect is boot out lucrative 1K and GS customers due to factors entirely out of their control. What will be interesting will be seeing how UA handles each individual market as time progresses. There is nothing stopping UA from later saying, hey for those international members who couldn't fly due to travel restrictions, we've got you.

Your Friendly,

Roo Flyer
Old May 1, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold

I have six segments, so waiving it doesn’t do anything for me either.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by trm2
I got the email too. Apparently they think Ohio isn’t one of the 50 states (they said my address was out of the US).
I once had an agent try to convince me I needed a GPU for EWR-HNL because HNL was international. So not too surprising.
I wonder if they waived the PQP requirement for you in the past
Old May 1, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I once had an agent try to convince me I needed a GPU for EWR-HNL because HNL was international. So not too surprising.
I wonder if they waived the PQP requirement for you in the past
well, PQP are actually pretty new, but no, no previous waiver. UA also does consider Puerto Rico international, but I paid attention in school and know it is really a part of the US.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
So Australian MP members can now fly SYD-AKL on ANZ and requalify for UA 1K. ✈️
agreed, it is still a tall order for some. With the reduced thresholds and the beginning of the year and the new 'freebees' ... it is not too onerous anymore I would say.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Still waiting for that email, but perhaps I didn’t get it as I passed the four flights a while ago.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Apparently NJ isn't in the US any longer I got the email too.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.