Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Re-booking options for UA R fare originally booked in to business class on AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA

Hi All, I've been trying to do research on an issue I stumbled into and after reading a thread from 2019 here I'm hopeful you all can help me. I booked a deal in early March, EWR-YUL-FCO mixed between UA and AC, with economy on the first short UA leg and then "business" for the rest on AC. I had seats in the first 2 rows of business (it was for my family of 6) and the fare was $900. I was in heaven. Fast forward, and AC adds a YUL-YYZ and makes layovers too long for young travellers, so I take my option to rebook for free. I went to rebook to UA's nonstop flight from EWR to FCO, and they put me in business. No problem there! I was adjusting my days and opted for a return through FRA on LH (I was trying to get in the upstairs biz class on LH's 747-8). I asked if it would be business and was told yes, but then when i got the confirmation email, it says Economy from FCO-FRA and Premium Economy for FRA-EWR. UA now says I never booked business class, but it was always premium economy. Is that b/c of the R fare? I need someone to help explain this to me and if I have any case to make to be in business on the way home. Even if I can't, it's still a good deal for the lie flat for the redeye and Premium on the way home.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Welcome to FT, @kylerlucas

It sounds like you booked this ticket through United. Is that the case?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A United R fare is premium economy. There was a big case a couple years ago (I guess that's the one you mentioned) where that booked into R (business upgrade) on AC, and AC turned them into P (paid business). But I hadn't heard of that happening again.
Adam Smith and YOWgary like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks! And yes, it was booked on ua.com

Originally Posted by canadiancow
A United R fare is premium economy. There was a big case a couple years ago (I guess that's the one you mentioned) where that booked into R (business upgrade) on AC, and AC turned them into P (paid business). But I hadn't heard of that happening again.
So it was a glitch of sorts that AC moved it to business? I guess UA put me in Z on my new EWR-FCO leg, because the 767-300 doesn't have a premium economy cabin?

At the end of the day, do you think I have any case to make to UA to get into business class for the FRA-EWR flight? I don't want to waste my breath or time on hold for a hopeless cause.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 29, 2021 at 11:37 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kylerlucas
So it was a glitch of sorts that AC moved it to business? I guess UA put me in Z on my new EWR-FCO leg, because the 767-300 doesn't have a premium economy cabin?
The error was UA booking AC R space.

AC made the decision to move it to P.

At the end of the day, do you think I have any case to make to UA to get into business class for the FRA-EWR flight? I don't want to waste my breath or time on hold for a hopeless cause.
I doubt it, but I'd certainly try.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:52 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
TSo it was a glitch of sorts that AC moved it to business? I guess UA put me in Z on my new EWR-FCO leg, because the 767-300 doesn't have a premium economy cabin?

Since this is really a UA question, I'm going to move this thread to the UA forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Was the original booking a UA codeshare of the AC flight?
What was the fare class of that original booking for TATL?

$900 RT sounds like a Premium Economy fare
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was the original booking a UA codeshare of the AC flight?
What was the fare class of that original booking for TATL?

$900 RT sounds like a Premium Economy fare
It was mixed... it was UA4298 from EWR to YUL, then ACxx for the other 3 legs (including both TATL legs). Fares were Q for the UA portion, then "Business (R)" for the other 3. It was a unique situation where on GF, I had to find a set of flights that were on multiple carriers and check out through United. That was the only way to get it actually ticketed for that price.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:52 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If you paid for premium economy, you have no case. Sorry.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There were a ton ultra cheap R-up fares on AC a few months ago that ultimately booked into P with an underlying R fare basis. These were instant upgrade fares and I assume the OP bought one of them.

With this kind of change ... no way to fix that. Generous of UA to put the OP in biz for the outbound (where it matters most). That plus a prem eco on the return sounds like a fair solution to me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
There were a ton ultra cheap R-up fares on AC a few months ago that ultimately booked into P with an underlying R fare basis. These were instant upgrade fares and I assume the OP bought one of them.

With this kind of change ... no way to fix that. Generous of UA to put the OP in biz for the outbound (where it matters most). That plus a prem eco on the return sounds like a fair solution to me.
Wait, what's an R-up fare? I thought that R on AC was reserved for business class upgrades. It's definitely not a Premium Economy fare class -- AC uses G/E/N for those, like LH does. (I originally posted a message saying it was a mistake, but that was under the assumption that you can't buy an R fare).

If they were publishing R fares that booked into business class, and it was a sale, not a mistake, OP should be able to fly business class, even at that price. This "instant upgrade" nonsense that UA pulled a few years ago needs to stop.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:52 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
We really need the OP’s fare basis code and rules to figure this out.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Wait, what's an R-up fare? I thought that R on AC was reserved for business class upgrades. It's definitely not a Premium Economy fare class -- AC uses G/E/N for those, like LH does. (I originally posted a message saying it was a mistake, but that was under the assumption that you can't buy an R fare).

If they were publishing R fares that booked into business class, and it was a sale, not a mistake, OP should be able to fly business class, even at that price. This "instant upgrade" nonsense that UA pulled a few years ago needs to stop.
I mistyped, sorry . An N-up fare booking into R. AC SALE - US to EU As low As $800RT
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I mistyped, sorry . An N-up fare booking into R. AC SALE - US to EU As low As $800RT
And a key comment from that thread

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
These are premium economy - upfares. When irrops or cancellations occur, prepare to sit in PE. .....
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, thanks, that makes much more sense.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And a key comment from that thread
Yeah, this one's really tough. I can see both sides: if it's a business class ticket, UA should re-accommodate into J; but if it's a PE ticket, and AC just allowed you to sit up front on it, I'm not sure there's an onus on UA to do the same.

If there are any AC flights that are even remotely convenient, OP, you might have a better chance to get into J on those. As it stands, you can follow the common UA trick of hanging up and trying again, but I think I agree that getting into J on another airline is probably unlikely.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.