Wiki Posts
Search

Is United becoming a budget airline?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Is United becoming a budget airline?

I thought it was just my personal experience flying UA over the past year, and then I saw this which confirmed my suspicions.... sigh.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...uthwest-2021-4

It is worth adding that “budget airline” would be consistent with the current offerings and packed planes.

Last edited by nycflyer222; Apr 19, 2021 at 7:04 pm Reason: adding more commentary
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
WN isn't a budget airline -- WN fares has not been significant better than the majors for years.

Is UA's in-flight F&B service levels worst then DL or is DL now a budget carrier?

Certainitly from a fare point of view UA / WN / DL are not budget airlines
MatthewLAX, Nickil, Often1 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN has simply marketed itself as a "budget" carrier when it is not. Say something enough times and it sticks.

Or put another way, why does it matter? If WN suits your needs, why not switch?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I feel confident I won't feel UA is a budget airline Wednesday night when I settle into seat 3A on my HNL-SFO redeye on a 777-300, and with only 34 of 60 F seats booked, a lot of happy upgraders won't feel that way either.

I don't think I'd feel that way on a Southwest flight.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
As others have said, Southwest left budget airline pricing long ago. They are just as expensive on any given route. A true budget airline is Spirit, Frontier, Ryanair, AirAsia, etc.
desmondo likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
No. Price-aware / competitive, yes, but with premium offerings - outside of a pandemic.

Have you flown an LCC in Europe recently? Volotea, Vueling?
desmondo and enviroian like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:09 pm

While one could be forgiven for thinking that after experiencing Y- on the 777, the [perhaps sad] answer is no. The seats on budget airlines are notably worse than even the worst that UA has to offer.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by blackllotus
While one could be forgiven for thinking that after experiencing Y- on the 777, the [perhaps sad] answer is no. The seats on budget airlines are notably worse than even the worst that UA has to offer.
Definitely this!

Haven’t flown Frontier/Spirit in quite a while, but I wouldn’t want to fly Allegiant again on anything over 2 hours. Is there even padding on their seats? I feel like it looks like there is, but it feels like you’re sitting on a plastic chair.

Then again, I’d still take a budget airline over a CRJ-200...

I think the biggest difference between legacies and low cost carriers is mostly schedules at this point. Legacies still have first class too, but AA/DL/UA all offer a basic economy option which are mostly similar (and that’s mostly what SW offers as well but a better schedule than ULCC).
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by CApreppie
As others have said, Southwest left budget airline pricing long ago. They are just as expensive on any given route. A true budget airline is Spirit, Frontier, Ryanair, AirAsia, etc.
I agree with your first assertion. However, I would call Spirit and Frontier the "nickel and dime airlines". If you are willing to sit in a crappy seat and bring no luggage, it would truly be a budget airline.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I don't think United can win by trying to offer the lowest fares, and they don't seem to want to compete with Delta/JetBlue/Alaska on quality. As well their current strategy seems to treat every flight transactionally which undermines loyalty. I think that United is not a Wal-Mart or a Bloomingdales but more like a Macy's or Target as a brand that aspires to offer a premium experience, but does not want really know how to deliver.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I don't think United can win by trying to offer the lowest fares, and they don't seem to want to compete with Delta/JetBlue/Alaska on quality. As well their current strategy seems to treat every flight transactionally which undermines loyalty. I think that United is not a Wal-Mart or a Bloomingdales but more like a Macy's or Target as a brand that aspires to offer a premium experience, but does not want really know how to deliver.
Schizoid or just plain ineptitude?

David
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I thought it was just my personal experience flying UA over the past year, and then I saw this which confirmed my suspicions.... sigh.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unit...uthwest-2021-4

It is worth adding that “budget airline” would be consistent with the current offerings and packed planes.
Although in recent months UA has felt quite "budget", the advertising campaign in that article reads to me more like positioning UA as a premium airline, namely selling with the route network rather than the price.

Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by fumje
Although in recent months UA has felt quite "budget", the advertising campaign in that article reads to me more like positioning UA as a premium airline, namely selling with the route network rather than the price.
Back in business school the adage was that in marketing people should take their biggest weakness and sell it as a differentiator. e.g. "we're afraid of data science" vs "we respect your privacy" or "we are an exclusive hotel experience" vs "our hotel charges for dumb stuff and probably will give you Dunkin either way/"
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Back in business school the adage was that in marketing people should take their biggest weakness and sell it as a differentiator. e.g. "we're afraid of data science" vs "we respect your privacy" or "we are an exclusive hotel experience" vs "our hotel charges for dumb stuff and probably will give you Dunkin either way/"
Waiting for the campaign that brands UA's hallmark consistent inconsistency as a differentiator — or is that the explanation for why we got "surprise and delight"?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by seanp7
No. Price-aware / competitive, yes, but with premium offerings - outside of a pandemic.

Have you flown an LCC in Europe recently? Volotea, Vueling?
Exactly. Those carriers and other true budget carriers in Europe make Southwest look like EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.