Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Electrical Fire at O'Hare (B-C tunnel closed 17 April 2021 - has reopened)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

Line for shuttle bus to C gates at ORD today.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/04/17/ohare-international-airport-electrical-fire/
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for sharing - I would have assumed it was dah line for the United Club.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
oboy

David
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Not much social distanciing going on. LOL
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
The line would go all way to 233 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL, if social distancing were enforced! Scott Kirby would come out of his office and lead the parade. LOL!
wrp96, ChinaShrek, Gar1P and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the tunnel back open for human transit?

David
Old Apr 18, 2021, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by DELee
Is the tunnel back open for human transit?

David
Yes. But I heard that as of yesterday evening, escalators were still not working. Apparently fire sprinklers were activated so I suspect it'll take a while to get all equipment back up and running (or not running as the case may have been).

​​​​
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I wonder how many people missed their flights. Sometimes when I'm on a long layover or arrive at the airport early, I'll walk around B,C,E,F to get some exercise. The possibility of getting stuck never occurred to me.
As for social distancing, that crowd isn't too different that the non-pre security line or boarding line lately.
I wonder if they were using the small bus that use to go between C and F. If they tried to social distance on the bus, they'd prob only be doing like 4 people at a time.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Compressed perspective with a zoom lens. To me, it actually looks like some distancing is going on - they're not packed like cattle.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
... they're not packed like cattle.
Yeah, It's not likey they're sitting in Economy
cheltzel likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Yeah, It's not likey they're sitting in Economy
I think those moving sidewalks have reached their end of life. I keep a mental note each time I transit through the tunnel how many of the 8 are working. It’s rare to see them all functioning. I assume it’s one of them that went up in smoke and not the beautiful light sculpture!
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
I think those moving sidewalks have reached their end of life. I keep a mental note each time I transit through the tunnel how many of the 8 are working. It’s rare to see them all functioning. I assume it’s one of them that went up in smoke and not the beautiful light sculpture!
Is the soundtrack playing still?

David
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Just about the only thing I miss from DL being on my no-fly list is the tunnel in DTW ... And every time I "experience" the ORD tunnel it feels like it's 20 years overdue for a gut rehab. Not just the sidewalks are end of life...

It's particularly (not) awesome when both in a pair heading the same direction are out of service at the same time.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I would be pretty happy if they replaced them with SFO-style bouncy walkways
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just about the only thing I miss from DL being on my no-fly list is the tunnel in DTW ... And every time I "experience" the ORD tunnel it feels like it's 20 years overdue for a gut rehab. Not just the sidewalks are end of life...

It's particularly (not) awesome when both in a pair heading the same direction are out of service at the same time.
I flew UA ORD-RDU out of C a few months ago. Man that neon looks tired. The paint is falling off of it. I did get to hear Rhapsody in Blue for the first time in ages. The tunnel at DTW is showing its age too. A few glass panels were missing last time I was there. IMO the DTW tunnel will never match the ORD psychedelic subway.

That was my second time flying UA during the pandemic. UA has far better service than DL right now. UA's hub's locations don't really work for my travel patterns, or I'd seriously consider a switch.
SPN Lifer, desmondo and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.