Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Electrical Fire at O'Hare (B-C tunnel closed 17 April 2021 - has reopened)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electrical Fire at O'Hare (B-C tunnel closed 17 April 2021 - has reopened)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zymm
I would be pretty happy if they replaced them with SFO-style bouncy walkways
I remember when I injured my knee and hobbling my way across the country via SFO, it was a lot easier to walk on those bouncy walkways.

Anyways, I'm not too surprised either, I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a spilled Starbucks drink at the end of the walkways.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
Anyways, I'm not too surprised either, I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a spilled Starbucks drink at the end of the walkways.
So it was you!

David
desmondo likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just about the only thing I miss from DL being on my no-fly list is the tunnel in DTW ... And every time I "experience" the ORD tunnel it feels like it's 20 years overdue for a gut rehab. Not just the sidewalks are end of life...
Heresy! Neon forever, crank up the plinky Rhapsody a couple more decibels.

It's particularly (not) awesome when both in a pair heading the same direction are out of service at the same time.
A legit issue...
...with an inspired recommendation ! My terrible attempt to mimic Puff Daddy dancing on that moving walkway* could use SFO bouncy bouncy anyday!

* at 1:15 here

Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United's more likely to do what they did at IAH - take 'em out because they take up space that could be occupied by vendors.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United's more likely to do what they did at IAH - take 'em out because they take up space that could be occupied by vendors.
"Explorer Card? Explorer Card anyone?"

David
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
And EWR...and C at ORD and...

Just horrible traffic flow
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
And EWR...and C at ORD and...

Just horrible traffic flow
I don't know about IAH, but when they were removed at ORD, I thought it was to improve traffic flow (ie. someone needing to cross).
I think most of us suspected it was for vendors.

I haven't seen any vendors in the middle areas at ORD, though they have added lines of seating in the middle (for social distancing?) which blocks traffic flow.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Just about the only thing I miss from DL being on my no-fly list is the tunnel in DTW ... And every time I "experience" the ORD tunnel it feels like it's 20 years overdue for a gut rehab. Not just the sidewalks are end of life...

It's particularly (not) awesome when both in a pair heading the same direction are out of service at the same time.
I've only used the walkways twice during the last year. But both times, everything was working (including the plinky Gershwin). The last time was 3 weeks ago.

Admittedly, it is showing its age and has been showing it for a while. But it serves its purpose when working. After our experiences with the ATS modernization, I would be hesitant to call for an upgrade
lincolnjkc and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
I don't know about IAH, but when they were removed at ORD, I thought it was to improve traffic flow (ie. someone needing to cross).
I think most of us suspected it was for vendors.

I haven't seen any vendors in the middle areas at ORD, though they have added lines of seating in the middle (for social distancing?) which blocks traffic flow.
They're slowly cropping up -- both ends of C have been overwhelmed by retail (as if those areas weren't already space challenged with the gate-to-seating ratios)... IiIRC there's more retail along the edges than there was with the sidewalks... But if not... Everything takes longer in Chicago and it wouldn't surprise me if the pandemic just delayed the inevitable.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Admittedly, it is showing its age and has been showing it for a while. But it serves its purpose when working. After our experiences with the ATS modernization, I would be hesitant to call for an upgrade
Touche

Though part of me wonders if an interim solution would be to just paint a crosswalk across the ramp and make everyone hoof it...which would be fun except during inclement weather...or if you were in one of the AC delayed for gawking pedestrians... Ok, so bad idea. Leave things as they are until nature reclaims them.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Apr 22, 2021 at 7:45 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, so bad idea. Leave things as they are until nature reclaims them.
A true solution for Chicago...

David
lincolnjkc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.