Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Revs Priority over Elites for CPU?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage P+
Just an observation from yesterday. Flying CVG- ORD-CLE on CRJ550 and 737-900.

As 1K, upgraded from CVG to ORD, but noticed 3 GOJET non-revs in uniform in F. Also, 2 passengers did not clear CPU list and remained in coach. Did not think twice about it.

At ORD, I was first in upgrade queue to CLE. Surprised to see another uniformed GOJET employee sitting in F. This time I though 2x about it as I was first (next up) for CPU. Admittedly, this is my 10th trip this year, so I am well behind prior years. But it is the first time I’ve seen uniformed crew members in F ahead of Elites. Is this a post-pandemic phenomenon? Or is there a change in UA priority of elites subordinate to employees? Or is it a union matter?

If that’s the case (or I missed something), then WN might be more attractive and comfortable for these short hops between ORD and CLE than fighting with UA and feeder airline employees for scarce CPUs?

Correction would fly MDW to CLE from Chicago on WN

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2021 at 12:04 pm Reason: merging update/consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by tfraserjr
Just an observation from yesterday. Flying CVG- ORD-CLE on CRJ550 and 737-900.

As 1K, upgraded from CVG to ORD, but noticed 3 GOJET non-revs in uniform in F. Also, 2 passengers did not clear CPU list and remained in coach. Did not think twice about it.

At ORD, I was first in upgrade queue to CLE. Surprised to see another uniformed GOJET employee sitting in F. This time I though 2x about it as I was first (next up) for CPU. Admittedly, this is my 10th trip this year, so I am well behind prior years. But it is the first time I’ve seen uniformed crew members in F ahead of Elites. Is this a post-pandemic phenomenon? Or is there a change in UA priority of elites subordinate to employees? Or is it a union matter?

If that’s the case (or I missed something), then WN might be more attractive and comfortable for these short hops between ORD and CLE than fighting with UA and feeder airline employees for scarce CPUs?

confirmed F for pilots may be in their contract, and would have been booked in F rather than given F on an upgrade basis where they'd be behind the CPU group. No difference for UA pilots flying to training, they are booked in F, removing seats for potential CPU.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Depending on whether they are pilots or flight attendants, and also purpose of the trip (e.g., deadhead to work elsewhere, not commuting), they may be eligible for premium cabin seats as positive space and not upgrade.

also discussed here: Deadheading Pilots Will Have Upgrade Priority Over Elites
SPN Lifer, jsloan and kevflyer like this.

Last edited by PTahCha; Apr 15, 2021 at 11:30 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without details of who and why they were flying, this is nothing remotely new.

Not sure of the comparison between flying UA which sells F, often at a very small premium over Y and WN out of MDW in which case you don't have to worry about the upgrade list.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
confirmed F for pilots may be in their contract
Not for GOJETS, or other UX, pilots.

The situation where a UAL pilot could be above revenue passengers on the upgrade list are rare. It would only be when FC was full when the deadhead was booked AND it was booked more than three-hours prior to departure. Most DHs are booked weeks in advance when it would be very unusual for FC to be full. Last minute DHs, for misconnects, delays, etc., are frequently booked within the three-hour window so they go the below the revenue passengers on the upgrade.
757FO and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by LarryJ; Apr 15, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
... Also, 2 passengers did not clear CPU list and remained in coach...
Were these two on standby waitlist?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
but noticed 3 GOJET non-revs in uniform in F.
Just curious, how did you know they were non-revenue?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Not saying this is the case here, but plenty of airline employees also hold status. For example, I am both a UA pilot and UA 1K. I generally try my best to avoid flying F in uniform (both as a revenue or non-revenue passenger), but there have been times when I have needed to commute in uniform as an upgraded revenue pax.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:53 pm

I usually purchase FC tickets and do sometimes (rarely) travel in uniform if I don't have time to change clothes. Also, some airlines purchase tickets for their traveling crew members. I used to see NetJets pilots traveling all the time on United, in uniform, on paid tickets.
United747 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I've seen quite a few cargo airline pilots in uniform up front. I'm assuming that they had paid tickets, who paid for them is another question (I wouldn't be surprised if they have earned status as well)
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Having flown many times with "non rev" FA friends over the years I can tell you at least from this one persons experience it is a rare day they get an F seat. Lately it it is almost rare they get a seat! I would add these friends of mine have over 30 years seniority so they are not newbie FAs. I can't tell you how many times I waved good bye to them at a connecting city half way to our destination because they didn't clear the non rev list. Many simply pay with other carriers just to get home or to there final destination in frustration. I have actually sat next to a non rev passenger who literally just prior to take off had deplane because a rev customer showed up at the last minute. It is not the free flying great deal many FT'ers seem to think. JMHO
Bear96, ichigen, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ttuna3
I've seen quite a few cargo airline pilots in uniform up front. I'm assuming that they had paid tickets, who paid for them is another question (I wouldn't be surprised if they have earned status as well)
FedEx and UPS commercial a significant number of their pilots to/from their trips. The airline buys regular revenue tickets for them and the pilots earn the miles and status.

Atlas and ATI are Gateway/Home based so commercial tickets before and after each trip is the norm. When I flew for ATI, I was Premier Platinum on UAL and Platinum Medallion on DAL.

NetJets, and other fractional jet operators, also home base their pilots so lots of tickets, miles, and status.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:00 pm

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
To OP
Did you ask if they were non revs, hence your post here?
or you just assumed they were non revs?
if it’s the latter, then you deserve a tsk tsk tsk and a big 🙄🙄🙄
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
FedEx and UPS commercial a significant number of their pilots to/from their trips. The airline buys regular revenue tickets for them and the pilots earn the miles and status.

Atlas and ATI are Gateway/Home based so commercial tickets before and after each trip is the norm. When I flew for ATI, I was Premier Platinum on UAL and Platinum Medallion on DAL.

NetJets, and other fractional jet operators, also home base their pilots so lots of tickets, miles, and status.
Do the cargos typically buy F or Y or it varies?

Aside: I've seen more pilots flying over the past year than I ever had noticed before, and I wonder if that's a function of reduced commercial capacity with unchanged or higher cargo demand.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Do the cargos typically buy F or Y or it varies?
Depends on the airline. Short, domestic flights are almost always economy tickets but pilots who commercial enough will have status and get upgrades. Long-haul tickets are often business class. The details vary from airline to airline. The bigger name cargo carrier pilots typically have more generous provisions in their contract. When I was at ATI, I had status but commercialed from my home in BNA to/from Tokyo or Bahrain in economy. Status got me E+/C+ seats but still economy seats. I think the ATI pilots have gained some improvements in that area for the longer flights but don't know the details.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.