Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Old Apr 10, 21, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

This little article amused me so....

QUOTE:

"United Airlines wants flight attendants to recognize 1K members with a personal greeting onboard, arguing it will lead to more loyalty. It also wants flight attendants to proactively apologize for the lack of food and beverages currently offered for sale onboard in economy class."

I love the ad from "ancient times" used in the article. Paging Mad Men.

Link
https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...-recognize-1k/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 21 at 10:11 am Reason: Moved to separate thread (removed references to previous thread
Old Apr 10, 21, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish BoB would return as the regular boarding order is reinstated.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 21, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 24left View Post

QUOTE:

"United Airlines wants flight attendants to recognize 1K members with a personal greeting onboard, arguing it will lead to more loyalty.
I have not been greeted as a 1K on any of my post covid flights which has been a default question on the flight surveys I've received during the past couple of months. Sounds like others have also noticed it.
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Sounds great, I would love to be greeted onboard and constantly reminded of what I am not getting
Old Apr 11, 21, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Sounds great, I would love to be greeted onboard and constantly reminded of what I am not getting
This is for your safety!
bocastephen, higher_flyer and nnn like this.
Old Apr 11, 21, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
But how are FAs supposed to recognize a 1K? By their bag tag? FAs now longer carry the electronic devices to tell them who is sitting where. And the print out that the lead FA gets from the gate agent also doesn't call out 1Ks (or any elite for that matter, AFAIK).

I also don't need to hear, "We're sorry we can't provide you a snack box or an adult beverage of your choice" every weekend. As a 1K I have way less than 50% CPU rate right now which is pathetic in a pandemic. I also think this will lead to quite a few over entitled 1Ks asking for a drink to be brought from the front.

-RM
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Apr 11, 21, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
FAs now longer carry the electronic devices to tell them who is sitting where. And the print out that the lead FA gets from the gate agent also doesn't call out 1Ks (or any elite for that matter, AFAIK).
Yes, they do - and yes, it does.
Old Apr 11, 21, 9:24 am

I would prefer a snack box to a sad face.

Unfortunately one costs UA money and the other doesn't apparently (until I start booking away, which I have done).
Old Apr 11, 21, 10:33 am

Covid/Shmovid, there are still many 1Kís with DYKWIA syndrome.

J&J threw in the towel on finding a cure but itís next on Pfizerís to do list. 😂😂😂
Mrotenfan, samplat, EWR764 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 21, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1K recognition (roughly, in my experience):
Phone CSA > 95% - it's a 1 on 1 situation and he/she is looking at my account info on connection
UC desk agent > 50%, they get info when BP scanned, but some seem indifferent to status outside of "in" or "no" as it relates to admittance. At IAD (pre-covid) UC agents consistently sent me to the then-existing GF lounge prior to TATL flights, which was really nice of them.
FAs in coach w/o BoB - 0%
FAs in coach where I ask for BoB item and I don't offer to pay - 100% - they look at device and recognize I'm 1K and acknowledge it by not asking for $ and very occasionally, I'll get a "thanks for being 1K".
FAs in front cabin - 0% if no meal choice.
FAs in Front cabin, if meal choice - > 90% like coach, the catering determines whether or not a FA "recognizes" a 1K or GS. Usually recognition is in form of meal choice, not direct comment.
Gate agent at scanner - < 10%
ok2uselane and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 11, 21 at 12:01 pm Reason: replaced "FC" w/ "GF", now remembering nomenclature.
Old Apr 11, 21, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
1K recognition (roughly, in my experience):

FAs in coach where I ask for BoB item and I don't offer to pay - 100% - they look at device and recognize I'm 1K and acknowledge it by not asking for $ and very occasionally, I'll get a "thanks for being 1K".
BoBs are currently an option? If we are talking pre-covid, my FA greeting rate is 100%.
Old Apr 11, 21, 11:53 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I think Iíve been thanked twice in the last 9 months of flying about every week.
Old Apr 11, 21, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
BoBs are currently an option? If we are talking pre-covid, my FA greeting rate is 100%.
Pre-Covid. Interesting how a lot of things are referred to a pre-Covid. Hopefully "post-Covid" will be in the conversations sometime within next year

I-O-T, one innoculation away....
Old Apr 11, 21, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Hopefully "post-Covid" will be in the conversations sometime within next year
As long as there are humans, there will be COVID. The best we can hope for is "post-pandemic".
Old Apr 11, 21, 1:22 pm

Programs: TKP, SKG, CSG, MAG, Sixt Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
When I made Gold with EK, I actually found it a bit embarrassing when the cabin chief came by, kneeled, and offered a personal welcome and a thanks for flying EK. I did, however, very much appreciate it when the next stewardess came by and asked if I cared for "the usual". First time I was asked that question I said yes, not quite sure what "the usual" would turn out to be. As it was, I'd taken rather a lot of morning flights out of Dubsie with a bit of hangover, and thus "the usual" turned out to be a Bloody Mary.

Then again, I've never suffered from DYKWIA syndrome.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: