Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Yeah but bocastephen 's point is that, as a 1K, Bengals311 should have been asked and gotten his first choice.

David
Without knowing the number of stocked units and the demographic of passengers, the idea of complaining on the spot, as suggested, is a losing battle. Even if FA admits the mistake, what are they going to do, take away the already given snack box from other passengers?
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why did you not complain on the spot and insist on receiving your choice of meal as a 1K?
When was the last time you complained on the spot and received your choice as 1K? Was this pre-Covid?

Should I complain on the spot in F/B about not getting a drink before takeoff?

Should I complain on the spot if I am in E+ and don't get a free snack or drink?

I have had FA say when I was the last person asked about food in F/B, "Oh, you're 1K..." Then, once everyone else receives their first choice, the FA returns and said "No one wanted this (plastic sandwich), do you?"

Oh, and to think that, pre-Covid, I used to complain if there weren't enough pajamas and mattress covers for my lie-flats.

Last edited by Guate87; Apr 16, 2021 at 3:21 pm
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Without knowing the number of stocked units and the demographic of passengers, the idea of complaining on the spot, as suggested, is a losing battle. Even if FA admits the mistake, what are they going to do, take away the already given snack box from other passengers?
I would expect them to give the passenger miles or a $ cert for the failure to abide by the rules.
Dyce and Guate87 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I probably wouldn't complain either, but what it would do is remind them that they didn't follow the rules. They might also offer some minor compensation, but I wouldn't do it for that.
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Guate87

Should I complain on the spot in F/B about not getting a drink before takeoff?
No - you weren't entitled to that even pre-Covid for quite sometime although some or even many have given it to you anyway.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When was the last time you complained on the spot and received your choice as 1K? Was this pre-Covid?

Thankfully I only had to complain a few times over the years, most of the time the 1K priority system was honored without needing to say anything - so my complaint was generally more of a reminder, maybe a bit of a pushy reminder once or twice, but afterwards I received my choice without any fuss. I prefer when the FAs move around the cabin to ask GS and 1K for their order first, then go back to front or front to back or whatever for everyone else so there the situation is clear.

Since the virus, I haven't been on board a United flight, but if I was and meal or food items with a choice were being offered, I would definitely be reminding the FA if this became a problem - for example, if I saw what the OP experienced, I would ring the FA bell and remind the crew to make sure 1K received their choice and I would be expecting a snack box if that is what I wanted. One can be assertive without being confrontational.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
No - you weren't entitled to that even pre-Covid for quite sometime although some or even many have given it to you anyway.
Who limits their complaints to what they are "entitled to"? The entitled complain about everything.

I try to never "complain on the spot" about anything, preferring to calmly and patiently work the system. Systems work (at least on the 30th of February).
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by Guate87; Apr 16, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Who limits their complaints to what they are "entitled to"? The entitled complain about everything.

I try to never "complain on the spot" about anything, preferring to calmly and patiently work the system. Systems work.
...tho' some clothes are still missing (lost but not found...)...

David
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I prefer when the FAs move around the cabin to ask GS and 1K for their order first, then go back to front or front to back or whatever for everyone else so there the situation is clear.
I have never been Premier 1K, and seldom sit up front. But when I occasionally did (pre-COVID) this always struck me as a logical and efficient procedure.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I have never been Premier 1K, and seldom sit up front. But when I occasionally did (pre-COVID) this always struck me as a logical and efficient procedure.
That is a logical and efficient procedure. It is not, however, the procedure at United. FAs are told to take orders front to back, then go back and inform some people that they cannot have what they ordered. It makes everyone mad. Most FAs ignore the procedure and ask GS/1Ks first which means we receive frequent scolding memos reminding us of the actual procedure.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Whyme
Most FAs ignore the procedure and ask GS/1Ks first which means we receive frequent scolding memos reminding us of the actual procedure.
Thank you for all you do! 💚

As a former RSR at SFORR (1985-87) while in law school, UA flight crews will always have a special place in my heart. My wife and I really enjoyed our LAS-SFO-NRT-GUM-SPN flights a few days ago (in E+).
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:04 pm

I did try to thank the 1Ks on my latest trip. I had about a 30% success rate...sleeping passengers and/or noise cancelling headsets make it difficult. I haven't seen a GS in a while, but the 1Ks are back in droves. I find thanking them awkward. They look at me like I'm going to offer them something, but I have nothing to give them but a thank you. All through covid, we've had extremely generous catering of snack boxes with tons of leftovers. Now the planes are full and we're catered with the same number of boxes as seats so I can't even offer that to 1Ks in coach.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:10 pm

Since the virus, I haven't been on board a United flight, but if I was and meal or food items with a choice were being offered, I would definitely be reminding the FA if this became a problem - for example, if I saw what the OP experienced, I would ring the FA bell and remind the crew to make sure 1K received their choice and I would be expecting a snack box if that is what I wanted. One can be assertive without being confrontational.
Because you haven't been on board a United flight during Covid, you have missed the context we are discussing. I fly UA every week but hope to wake up soon from this nightmare.

There is still time for you to experience firsthand the sad state of things in First/Business on UA. Your eyes will be opened even though you wish you had kept them shut.

Last edited by Guate87; Apr 16, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:27 pm

I did try to thank the 1Ks on my latest trip. I had about a 30% success rate...sleeping passengers and/or noise cancelling headsets make it difficult. I haven't seen a GS in a while, but the 1Ks are back in droves. I find thanking them awkward. They look at me like I'm going to offer them something, but I have nothing to give them but a thank you. All through covid, we've had extremely generous catering of snack boxes with tons of leftovers. Now the planes are full and we're catered with the same number of boxes as seats so I can't even offer that to 1Ks in coach.
. @Whyme...You are a Flight Attendant? Thank you for joining the conversation. It would be wonderful to know what FA hear from United compared to what we hear.

I always try to make eye contact with our wonderful FA but sometimes I am exhausted after my fourth flight of the day. Next Monday my first flight departs at 5:32 AM and my fourth flight arrives at 10:51 PM. We passengers never "time out". Sometimes we zone.

The new "Takeoff" box is okayish, but after 13 months of cardboard and plastic "food", I am ready to eat real food, hot food, tasty food.

Because I am in a Centurion Lounge before most of my flights, I know that it is possible to have real food during Covid. I also see the pilots eating real food. I am jealous.

I have flights with AA and DL this month, so it's not just UA.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I haven't seen a GS in a while, but the 1Ks are back in droves. I find thanking them awkward. They look at me like I'm going to offer them something, but I have nothing to give them but a thank you.
Well I would certainly appreciate it :-)

It was not uncommon pre-covid on Polaris to get thanked for being a 1K - maybe once every three or four flights. And it's the norm on some of the better international carriers for the FAs to thank everyone in F/J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.