Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tcp1
No comments on the linked story which apparently prompted this???

https://liveandletsfly.com/nearly-kicked-off-flight/

Or was that covered in another thread? Truly disturbing.. And if United's answer is to just "recognize" us 1Ks, I'm not sure if that's going to solve the issue with employees who are openly hostile to us.

I do think a negative of the whole COVID debacle is that FA's now are even further entrenched in to their "we're here for your safety only" culture, and that service has now found a way to reach an even lower bar that might not ever find its way back.

I never understood why snack boxes and drinks were ok up front, but not in the back. If FAs are now going to use "COVID" as the excuse to be even more petty and pushy, I don't think a "thanks for being 1K" is going to help much.

I was disturbing when I read it. That episode was why I included this line in one of my posts upthread

Originally Posted by 24left
....Still, I would much rather FAs greet us with a nice Hello, as opposed to the sometimes heard "Do We have a Problem Here?"
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I do think a negative of the whole COVID debacle is that FA's now are even further entrenched in to their "we're here for your safety only" culture, and that service has now found a way to reach an even lower bar that might not ever find its way back.
You won't read customer service in the UA FA job description (you will see things like assist and serve food and drink) - the safety culture starts right from when FA's are put into initial training. Disclosure: As told to me by my UA FA GF. As she has told me many times, I'm not your waitress in the skies. Don't expect the unions to shift the culture/job description.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
And why hot meals are covid-safe on ps transcons, but not on midcons / other flights.🙄
Well, United does heat up those chicken presto and tomato mozzarella sandwiches
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You won't read customer service in the UA FA job description (you will see things like assist and serve food and drink) - the safety culture starts right from when FA's are put into initial training. Disclosure: As told to me by my UA FA GF. As she has told me many times, I'm not your waitress in the skies. Don't expect the unions to shift the culture/job description.
As someone who also has lived with a UA FA, I get it.. Doesn't mean as a customer I don't disagree. I get what the unions say, but to pretend service is not part of a FA's job is ridiculous, and a great way to lose loyalty. I think I'm preaching to the choir when I say the attitude and general service of all UA employees (GA, FA or CS) has been on a steady decline - I know ever since I first made status in 2013 (after 19 years as a GM) I was less than impressed, and the past 8 years of 1K have been less and less impressed yearly.

I'm sure your UA FA GF will disagree, but I disagree in part, at least in a premium cabin, that service is not integral to the job of a flight attendant. You're the face of the company. FA's who use the "only for your safety line" are not good representatives of the company. Most of the time and primarily no, you aren't a waitress in the sky. But for part of your day, yes, you are. I understand that is now deemed "offensive", but to pretend that's not part of the reality customers expect is unrealistic.

Just like in the past when I had a purely technical job, I was still expected to be able to communicate cordially with customers and also take chances to sell/promote company products. Telling a customer "dunno, that's not my job, go ask someone who cares" would have gotten me my walking papers quickly.

The whole line that FAs are "just there for your safety" to me is an cop-out for them to do as little as possible, as even when safety is concerned I've seen FA's completely ignore things.

It is weird that UA seemingly has to beg to get them to acknowledge their best customers. The letter in the OP seemed more of a pleading than an instruction. This comports with the general feeling of hostility towards customers I've gotten from UA employees over the past decade - and the anecdotal experience with the FA I had as a roommate for a year myself - she could care less how loyal a customer was. You'd think after COVID and downsizing, they'd recognize that customer loyalty does directly impact their livelihood.
Dyce, gcashin, 24left and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tcp1; Apr 12, 2021 at 4:12 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:32 pm

FA's who use the "only for your safety line" are not good representatives of the company. Most of the time and primarily no, you aren't a waitress in the sky. But for part of your day, yes, you are. I understand that is now deemed "offensive", but to pretend that's not part of the reality customers expect is unrealistic.

It is weird that UA seemingly has to beg to get them to acknowledge their best customers. The letter in the OP seemed more of a pleading than an instruction.
In over 4 million miles of flying - I've actually never heard one actually say, we are only here for your safety and refuse me service. I see posts about proactive alcohol refills - and they aren't trained to do that - why? Because they don't know your tolerance to alcohol if its 1 drink or 5 drinks but will get you another on request. That's why many of posts when people say they didn't get something usually has a response from like - what did they do when you asked?

With that said - it isn't weird, at least to me - the struggles UA has with FA's. If UA was really concerned about customer service - they could certainly negotiate that in a contract and UA will likely have to make some sort of concession.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:45 pm

In over 4 million miles of flying - I've actually never heard one actually say, we are only here for your safety and refuse me service. I see posts about proactive alcohol refills - and they aren't trained to do that - why? Because they don't know your tolerance to alcohol if its 1 drink or 5 drinks but will get you another on request. That's why many of posts when people say they didn't get something usually has a response from like - what did they do when you asked?

With that said - it isn't weird, at least to me - the struggles UA has with FA's. If UA was really concerned about customer service - they could certainly negotiate that in a contract and UA will likely have to make some sort of concession.
I wouldn't say I've had service refused, but the incident linked in the OP's article certainly communicates that attitude - and I have absolutely been "cut off" after a couple of drinks for dubious reasons (Once, after a slightly heated phone conversation with an employee pre-departure, and the FA took that as me being 'agitated'.. Yes, hence the drinks.. but I digress) and I'm not talking about that. I'm more talking about what you hear whenever you see the FA union complaints and stories told on FT and other places from the FA's side of things. There definitely is a whole "this job would be great if it wasn't for the customers" attitude that seems to pervade everyone outside the Flight Deck.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:01 pm

There definitely is a whole "this job would be great if it wasn't for the customers" attitude that seems to pervade everyone outside the Flight Deck.
I'd personally disagree on that one - I very rarely have a poor interaction with a FA (but I have had them - and like you once in my many years of flying got cut off after 2 drinks for absolutely no reason many years ago). I think most flight crew would agree they have some awesome customers - definitely some bad apples - and most are unremarkable in the middle. Same for flight crews - some knock it out of the park - some bad apples - and most of them fall somewhere in the middle.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:19 pm

I'd personally disagree on that one - I very rarely have a poor interaction with a FA (but I have had them - and like you once in my many years of flying got cut off after 2 drinks for absolutely no reason many years ago). I think most flight crew would agree they have some awesome customers - definitely some bad apples - and most are unremarkable in the middle. Same for flight crews - some knock it out of the park - some bad apples - and most of them fall somewhere in the middle.
Appreciate your take and agree with you fully on the "bell curve" when it comes to personal experiences - the LALF article I would hope and assume is an exception to the rule, not a trend or example of anything going on across-the-board. I guess I'm just tired personally of "COVID" being an excuse for absolutely everything. Pandemic fatigue, I guess. I have every intent to stick with United as I'm about to hit 1MM - trust me, I haven't always been as frequent a flier as I have been recently but after 27 years of MP, I'm definitely rooting for UA, not against them. I do think recognizing and appreciating your best customers is just good policy for everyone, and it really doesn't take much effort. It doesn't sound like much, but pandemic flying is far from stress-free, and it would be at least a slight improvement on everyone's day, I think.
24left likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It doesn't sound like much, but pandemic flying is far from stress-free, and it would be at least a slight improvement on everyone's day, I think.
For the passenger, or the flight crew? Most crew members fly more in a day than most passengers (even elites) fly in a month/year. Where is their recognition?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
For the passenger, or the flight crew? Most crew members fly more in a day than most passengers (even elites) fly in a month/year. Where is their recognition?
What kind of recognition? From the company? From the customers?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Their primary recognition comes in the form of a paycheck. Also, I'm sure many frequent fliers are courteous and thank the FAs for their service.
artvandalay, Dyce, tcdtcd and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Yup, same non-acknowledgment...and no wine in coach and yet available in First where I was last week???
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I've been pretty happy with 1K treatment and feel like the flight attendants always want to do more for me but my request is typically a single drink before I zone out in headphones and a book. My family and I are so reliant on United that they could stomp on my feet when I step aboard and I'd still fly weekly with them. As United has, seemingly from my customer perspective, taken care of their employees better throughout the years, the employees have done a great job taking care of customers.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No comments on the linked story which apparently prompted this???

https://liveandletsfly.com/nearly-kicked-off-flight/

Or was that covered in another thread? Truly disturbing.. And if United's answer is to just "recognize" us 1Ks, I'm not sure if that's going to solve the issue with employees who are openly hostile to us.

I never understood why snack boxes and drinks were ok up front, but not in the back. If FAs are now going to use "COVID" as the excuse to be even more petty and pushy, I don't think a "thanks for being 1K" is going to help much.
If the company does not provide the goods, the FA can't serve them. If an entitled GA/1K is asking for things they can't provide, for some folks it's easier to give white lies than telling the agitated customer that they can't have it.

There are always 2 sides of the story, and we are only reading one side, which is presumably seemed OK by the author, but can be perceived as hostile by the recipient.

The same "blogger" also complained about something he was not entitled to from Hyatt, claiming not knowing the policy, so there's a pattern there.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
If the company does not provide the goods, the FA can't serve them. If an entitled GA/1K is asking for things they can't provide, for some folks it's easier to give white lies than telling the agitated customer that they can't have it.

There are always 2 sides of the story, and we are only reading one side, which is presumably seemed OK by the author, but can be perceived as hostile by the recipient.

The same "blogger" also complained about something he was not entitled to from Hyatt, claiming not knowing the policy, so there's a pattern there.
While I agree there are always two sides to a story assuming that the FA did threaten or imply police would be waiting for the author upon arrival I find appalling. My brother is an attorney and did for a time practice travel law. i have posted about this before, he made a cottage industry after 911 in defending passengers who had ridiculous trumped up charges for many times over what basically began as a complaint to an FA. I am seeing a bit of same now only this time it is in the name of Covid. Far too often now I am seeing/hearing the excuse for bad service as "Covid related". Sorry I am not buying that any more if ever. I certainly get the many of the issues and rules/restrictions about controlling the virus but using it over and over again as an excuse for poor service is in excusable. Sadly, and this is not exclusive to the airline industry, I believe that post pandemic much of this poor service/treatment will remain.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, uanj and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.