Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The number of 1Ks and GSs flying in past year is amazingly low. Pre-pandemic, OGG-SFO, there would be (on average) at least 1 GS and 4-5 1Ks (some with families). Now I'm often the only 1K/GS. The only time I get recognized as a 1K by a GA is at that airport - "You're my 1K!". You'd think it would be infrequent that it wouldn't be a hassle to toss a bone
Pre-pandemic I was on domestic flights where I was around number 45 on the upgrade list as a 1K
SPN Lifer, EWR764, LimeySD and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Agree that the 1K/GS population is much less on the flights I take.

Lately, that means I am #1 or 2 on the upgrade list, and still in the back because of what would appear to be very strong paid F demand... likely a result of pricing at a minimal premium over Y.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
But how are FAs supposed to recognize a 1K? By their bag tag? FAs now longer carry the electronic devices to tell them who is sitting where. And the print out that the lead FA gets from the gate agent also doesn't call out 1Ks (or any elite for that matter, AFAIK).
LH doesn't seem to have problem with this aspect of service. I've been welcomed as a *A Gold on every long haul LH flight I've taken in the past 3 years. I'm recognized 50% of the time on Austrian and Swiss short haul flights.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by halls120
LH doesn't seem to have problem with this aspect of service. I've been welcomed as a *A Gold on every long haul LH flight I've taken in the past 3 years. I'm recognized 50% of the time on Austrian and Swiss short haul flights.
It's been the same for me. In fact, several times now, flight attendants on Austrian and Swiss have even moved me up from coach to business after boarding, based solely on my "Gold" status (they didn't know I'm GS with UAL).
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
But how are FAs supposed to recognize a 1K? By their bag tag? FAs now longer carry the electronic devices to tell them who is sitting where. And the print out that the lead FA gets from the gate agent also doesn't call out 1Ks (or any elite for that matter, AFAIK).
I haven't seen LINKs on Express (probably because IIRC, they are kept with the aircraft vs. mainline where they're individually assigned) but I've definitely seen mainline FAs looking at the preferential seating chart on mainline as recently as last week

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The number of 1Ks and GSs flying in past year is amazingly low. Pre-pandemic, OGG-SFO, there would be (on average) at least 1 GS and 4-5 1Ks (some with families). Now I'm often the only 1K/GS. The only time I get recognized as a 1K by a GA is at that airport - "You're my 1K!". You'd think it would be infrequent that it wouldn't be a hassle to toss a bone
I know at least at one airport there's a daily Sharepoint printout carried by the leads and available to the agents listing the GS/1K expected that day -- I find it nice to be greeted "LincolnJKC! We've been expecting you..." with some factoid or observation about the destination, though I can see how others may find it unnerving.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
...I know at least at one airport there's a daily Sharepoint printout carried by the leads and available to the agents listing the GS/1K expected that day -- I find it nice to be greeted "LincolnJKC! We've been expecting you..." with some factoid or observation about the destination, though I can see how others may find it unnerving...
There were one or two gate agents at LAS who were calling out GS and 1K customers by name for boarding a year or two ago. That definitely cut down others trying to board at same time (like those who hear "1K" and think that's "First Class").

This isn't too much of a tangent, but I do believe GS and 1Ks should board before front cabin as the 5-group system works (and is hopefully re-introduced). I understand some FAs prefer back to front, but sorry - loyalty programs do require some work and (admittedly) create some inefficiencies. If a GS or 1K is in front cabin, he/she should get recognition by being allowed to board early and stow bags as near seat as possible. The GSs/1Ks in coach are relatively efficient and are out of the way and (usually) not taking front cabin bin space from other front cabin passengers when they board. United obviously doesn't want to create two more groups (GSs and then 1Ks after First but before rest of coach).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 12, 2021 at 9:51 am
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by halls120
we must be on different routes because with similar LH/OS/LX patterns, for me this has been virtually never.

actually the only time my *G status was ever recognized, was on a LH short haul in economy, where they offered me a J breakfast, without explicitly acknowledging status -- mr xxx, would you like to be served breakfast? -- that was kinda weird.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You really can't please everyone - clearly some want/need the recognition and others such as myself would rather just fly under the radar and just be prioritized on board. I just want the benefits. It isn't going to make me feel any better to thank me for being GS.
featheroleather likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
we must be on different routes because with similar LH/OS/LX patterns, for me this has been virtually never.

actually the only time my *G status was ever recognized, was on a LH short haul in economy, where they offered me a J breakfast, without explicitly acknowledging status -- mr xxx, would you like to be served breakfast? -- that was kinda weird.
In the past say 4 years ago, I would have LH FAs come to me and thank me for being a "Gold" member. Although being "Gold" really didn't help me get re-routed via stanby between FRA-WAW 2 years ago due to a WX misconnect .

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You really can't please everyone - clearly some want/need the recognition and others such as myself would rather just fly under the radar and just be prioritized on board. I just want the benefits. It isn't going to make me feel any better to thank me for being GS.
For me the peak of the 1K recognition season was shortly after the Dao incident. There were multiple times flying ORD-FRA in Y where the lead FA would find me and deliver amenity kits and bottled water. The same on UX flights.

Last edited by TomMM; Apr 12, 2021 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Pre-pandemic I was on domestic flights where I was around number 45 on the upgrade list as a 1K
Just flew DEN-SFO I was 15 on the list as a 1K but admittedly the flight was fairly full. I had alot of this pre covid as well. I personally don't give a rat's behind about recognition anymore I just want basic services to improve, as others mentioned more UCs to open up with improved services and food, and improvement in routes. Flying back to SFO from SLC via DEN isn't going to make me want to book with UA!
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by deniah

Almost every time for me in LH, always in Business (not sure if that made a difference)
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Good for you, but you're not the average traveler filling up domestic flights. It is almost entirely leisure travelers. At least in my realm of tech, most companies aren't even going to re-assess getting back to the office before 4Q, let alone re start ANY business travel other than the rare [go to the field because something critical is broken] trip. International business travel will be last to return. 2021? Ha, no way. Not being an a$$, but you're the outlier; very uncommon.

It is just one example, but I flew on AA's premium transcon 3 cabin A321 on the Thursday 5:30pm flight this week. Business was no more than half full. Unheard of pre-Covid.
That's because all the NonRev are in First Class.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
That's because all the NonRev are in First Class.
Yep - Employee Class!
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
No comments on the linked story which apparently prompted this???

https://liveandletsfly.com/nearly-kicked-off-flight/

Or was that covered in another thread? Truly disturbing.. And if United's answer is to just "recognize" us 1Ks, I'm not sure if that's going to solve the issue with employees who are openly hostile to us.

I do think a negative of the whole COVID debacle is that FA's now are even further entrenched in to their "we're here for your safety only" culture, and that service has now found a way to reach an even lower bar that might not ever find its way back.

I never understood why snack boxes and drinks were ok up front, but not in the back. If FAs are now going to use "COVID" as the excuse to be even more petty and pushy, I don't think a "thanks for being 1K" is going to help much.
turbox3 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by tcp1
No comments on the linked story which apparently prompted this???

https://liveandletsfly.com/nearly-kicked-off-flight/

Or was that covered in another thread? Truly disturbing.. And if United's answer is to just "recognize" us 1Ks, I'm not sure if that's going to solve the issue with employees who are openly hostile to us.

I do think a negative of the whole COVID debacle is that FA's now are even further entrenched in to their "we're here for your safety only" culture, and that service has now found a way to reach an even lower bar that might not ever find its way back.

I never understood why snack boxes and drinks were ok up front, but not in the back. If FAs are now going to use "COVID" as the excuse to be even more petty and pushy, I don't think a "thanks for being 1K" is going to help much.
And why hot meals are covid-safe on ps transcons, but not on midcons / other flights.🙄
lincolnjkc, Dyce, turbox3 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.