Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Tells Flight Attendants: "Please Recognize 1K Members!"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Flight attendant on the flight I'm on right now... "You AGAIN?" ... I guess that's a type of recognition
(We may have a little history)
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Flight attendant on the flight I'm on right now... "You AGAIN?" ... I guess that's a type of recognition
(We may have a little history)
Didn't anyone warn you about the dangers of dating flight attendants?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Being thanked for my 1K loyalty while on a janky 737 transcon with no IFE, served a 70 cent sandwich, and drinking Woodbridge wine...

S
M
D
H

nice try, though
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
For those who need validation via thank you - my HNL-SFO was over the top last night. It was a thank you parade when taxiing to take off and a thank you parade on approach to SFO. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
For those who need validation via thank you - my HNL-SFO was over the top last night. It was a thank you parade when taxiing to take off and a thank you parade on approach to SFO...
Gee, my plan this morning was to go to the park, join the dog group for two laps, and then arrive at gate just before 9am OGG-SFO closed. Now I'm wondering if I should stiff the pooches so I can board first and bask in the adulation longer...

Nah, I'll just have to do with a few less pats on the head from UA...

Edit: But you're a GS, not 1K. I wonder if the number of thank yous is linear or exponential, based on status...
EWR764, NoLaGent and 24left like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 22, 2021 at 9:35 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:25 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
12 UA segments in 2021, all in F and I’m 0-for-12 for any personal acknowledgment of any kind.

8 of those segments have been on GoJet’s CRJ-550 and at the risk of going off topic, they don’t even seem to check a manifest. Matter of fact, without trying to be the nosy busy body—on three of my GoJet flights (one last year), there have been what I thought were obvious seat poachers. Again, I know it’s none of my business, and I did keep my mouth shut, but two separate occasions, some of the last to board just before the doors closed, once a group of two and the other time a group of three, boarded and looked suspicious as they sat down in F. Seat map showed the seats empty before, during and after the flight. The other time, as I sat in 1A, a NRSA came on, said, (paraphrased), “I’m your non-rev, they put me in seat XXA, okay if I sit here?” ...as they took 1C, which was also open on the seat map before, during and after the flight. All three times were with different flight attendants...It just seems to me that GJ doesn’t seem to really train for their F class service. I mean I still LOVE the plane and can’t really complain too much, but there’s certainly something different about their service up front compared to (certainly) mainline, but also when compared to the other regionals.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Apr 22, 2021 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:47 am

Just give me the benefits and good (enough) service - I don't need to be recognized (really prefer they don't once in the cabin).
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Edit: But you're a GS, not 1K. I wonder if the number of thank yous is linear or exponential, based on status...
They were literally thanking everyone. Thank you for being Global Services. Thank you for being 1K. General Thank You across the board . Thank you thank you thank you to every seat. It ended up being very robotic. The FA clearly had been told to do it - to his credit wasn't condensing - but way overboard.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
10 minutes to departure. No adulation as of yet. In 1L on 763ER again. As of now, no rube has opened this door looking for lavatoryyet)

Edit: landed at SFO w/o single acknowledgement on board. That’s OK - nice to see first real meal on UA since start of pandemic (pancakes/sausages/yogurt/fruit cup/biscotti. Plus a stiff Bloody Mary.

NoLaGent, Kacee and 24left like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 22, 2021 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
It just seems to me that GJ doesn’t seem to really train for their F class service. I mean I still LOVE the plane and can’t really complain too much, but there’s certainly something different about their service up front compared to (certainly) mainline, but also when compared to the other regionals.
I think a key factor may be that on every other 2-cabin aircraft there are at least 2 FAs and at least one of those FAs is virtually or actually dedicated to the F cabin, where the CR550 (which is the only type GoJet operates for UAX and IIRC, also the only CR550 operator period) -- one of the key to it's good operating costs -- is that it is a single FA who has to take care of the entire aircraft his/her self... This is also why there are (theoretically) self-serve snacks and beverages up front, though that has suffered the covid ax

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Apr 22, 2021 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I hate to bring back the UA/CO divide, but there's a remarkable difference for the younger PMCO FAs, where they provide a bare minimum level of service front to back, where status does not matter. This includes placing nuts, drink(s), and meal all on one tray prior to the COVID era. Similarly, the said flight attendant was chewing gum, without a tie on, and had a kids wing.

Originally Posted by Whyme
I did try to thank the 1Ks on my latest trip. I had about a 30% success rate...sleeping passengers and/or noise cancelling headsets make it difficult. I haven't seen a GS in a while, but the 1Ks are back in droves. I find thanking them awkward. They look at me like I'm going to offer them something, but I have nothing to give them but a thank you. All through covid, we've had extremely generous catering of snack boxes with tons of leftovers. Now the planes are full and we're catered with the same number of boxes as seats so I can't even offer that to 1Ks in coach.
Wake them up and tell them you appreciate their loyalty.

But seriously, adding "Thanks for your loyalty" as part of the meal order taking or fond farewell (Delta's term that I'm borrowing) goes a long way. No need for a separate thank you.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​​​Saturday evening flight to PHL, arrival time after 11pm...oh man the booze was flowing...I think all of the liquor ran out (gin, bailey), and ice too. One FA came to every seat toward the tail end of the flight like a bartender at last call
That's the standard pre-landing drink order, no?

Originally Posted by limey1K
I am 0/16 being thanked for being GS by FAs this year. I’m probably 90% when it comes to Club agents when checking in which is nice.
The gold scarfs/ties for club agents are working!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I'm not a 1K (I'm a lowly Gold who just started flying UA a few months ago after abandoning DL after 15 years), but have a bunch of data points on this. I am in paid First most of the time (company lets me buy and fly UA because on the routings I go, a connection in paid First is cheaper than AA's nonstop in coach). 50% of the segments are meal/snack flights. In the last month, on a dozen or so of such flights, except for maybe once, the F/A started with 1A/B in the air, took order, went to galley, served, then moved on to 1E/F, etc.

I've been pleased with the crews though. Proactive beverage services. Doubles offered. On Friday night the lead F/A basically stood in the galley facing the cabin and the second anyone finished a last sip was there to offer more. I made a comment to him that I'm new to flying United (until February I hadn't flown United in ten years) and was impressed. On deplaning, it was nice to get a "Mr JAXPax, welcome to United and I hope to see you again soon."
hope to see you on many other flights soon on United!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I hate to bring back the UA/CO divide, but there's a remarkable difference for the younger PMCO FAs, where they provide a bare minimum level of service front to back, where status does not matter. This includes placing nuts, drink(s), and meal all on one tray prior to the COVID era. Similarly, the said flight attendant was chewing gum, without a tie on, and had a kids wing....
It could be worse - look at what AA did before the virus, hiring new FAs, giving them the bare minimum FAA required training, and zero service training allowing them to "shadow" an experienced FA and learn on the job - of course they were just let loose on unsuspecting passengers, often in the F cabin, and delivered legendary sloppy, rude or dismissive service. Hopefully there is no evidence of UA doing the same.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It could be worse - look at what AA did before the virus, hiring new FAs, giving them the bare minimum FAA required training, and zero service training allowing them to "shadow" an experienced FA and learn on the job - of course they were just let loose on unsuspecting passengers, often in the F cabin, and delivered legendary sloppy, rude or dismissive service. Hopefully there is no evidence of UA doing the same.
Say what you want to say about AA but at least they are consistent with their standards, consistently treating passengers with the disdain many of them deserve. This, however, will be one thing I won't look forward to if I do make the decision to jump ship from UA to QF as I've recently matched my UA Gold to QF Gold. Yes QF can take me across the Pacific to the Americas, but at some point, I have to deal with AA (unless of course AS improves their route network in the coming years).

My experience travelling with UA (pre-pandemic) was it was a roll of the dice. Some of the best service I received on board and at airports came from UA agents and FAs. For instance, I remember being in KIX travelling in Polaris J on a GPU and the KIX manager for UA proactively suggesting a reroute on AC metal having noticed my itinerary involved multiple connections in the US. However, I've also encountered some that leave much to be desired. One particular trip comes to mind travelling from LHR to ORD in Polaris J where they literally plunked the meal down on the tray and walked away, not realizing they haven't provided me with the cutlery needed. It took 20 minutes before I was able to actually start eating the meal and aside from a minor apology that was it. Once meal service was over the FAs had a smoko and could not be bothered. That being said, from what I hear from fellow travellers the worst of UA is still better than travelling on AA on a good day (I hope that's wrong).

Cheers,

Your Friendly Roo Flyer
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's been a long time since I've been a 1k, but recognition beyond the published benefits was minimal at the time for me. I got better recognition beyond published benefits as a UA*G on partner airlines than I got as a 1k on UA. It was sort of the same way when on the planes as a CO Platinum at the end of the OnePass program.

I doubt this UA effort to get the FAs to recognize 1ks -- other than perhaps with one of those overhead announcements thanking customers in some sort of general way or another -- will have much staying power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.