Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bedding on non-premium transcon domestic wide bodies?

Bedding on non-premium transcon domestic wide bodies?

Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Honestly - purchasing your own duvet or day blanket is the way to go. Then, never have to worry about it again.

https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...?dept_id=10000
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Honestly - purchasing your own duvet or day blanket is the way to go. Then, never have to worry about it again.

I wonder what the potential is of buying a duvet and being accused of stealing it by a FA upon deplaning? The site also has a United Polaris cookbook. Might be fun if someone bought and prepared meals we probably have never seen/tasted since the initial Polaris rollout
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I wonder what the potential is of buying a duvet and being accused of stealing it by a FA upon deplaning? ....
People have addressed this by embroidering their name or otherwise marking the item. Same for the gel pillow. Have a picture on your smartphone of the purchase receipt.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Another datapoint: I flew SFO-IAD earlier this week on the 763. Thin blanket was available at all F seats, but no pillow. The only domestic widebodies current getting the better bedding (thicker blanket/duvet, regular pillow, and gel pillow) are those operating the premium transcons (JFK/EWR-LAX/SFO).

-FlyerBeek
All the lie-flats (incl. 752s) to/from Hawaii (even to/from west coast) get pillow and duvet. Hawaii is domestic.

I think all coat-to-coast lie-flats should get same treatment.

At a minimum, equip all red-eye lie-flats, from Hawaii and West coast. Maybe it's an issue of getting the pillows and blankets back to west.
Duvet (thick comforter) or Saks day blanket? They switched out the duvet for day blanket for premium transcon flights.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
didnt get one the other direction on a 777 in Dec. 19. They had the thin blankets on request only, and when my wife asked for a pillow, she suggested taking another blanket and bunching it up to make one.

definitely a change from the good ol days. Cant remember when, but probably either not too long before the merger or not too long after, I was on a 2-4-2 configured 777 SFO-ORD, and there was bedding provided (definitely well pre-saks, though).
Pre-merger, there were pillows and blankets very similar to the current Saks day blankets (but without the Ski name) available to all First class passengers. The blankets were also available to economy passengers on request. The merger brought the blue light Continental gauze to the entire domestic fleet and the pillows disappeared
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I wonder what the potential is of buying a duvet and being accused of stealing it by a FA upon deplaning? The site also has a United Polaris cookbook. Might be fun if someone bought and prepared meals we probably have never seen/tasted since the initial Polaris rollout
I've never had an issue and have one of each - a blanket and duvet. Nobody's ever challenged me about it. If they did, I'd just mention buying it on the United Shop online and I'm sure the conversation would end there...

As for the meals, just go ahead and rub it in! I was invited to the Polaris launch event in NYC but had to miss it due to (of course) business travel. Still bummed about that!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...As for the meals, just go ahead and rub it in! I was invited to the Polaris launch event in NYC but had to miss it due to (of course) business travel. Still bummed about that!
Don't worry - I'm pretty sure leftovers from that event were frozen and are still being served today when they run across them at the back of the freezers...
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Duvet (thick comforter) or Saks day blanket? They switched out the duvet for day blanket for premium transcon flights.
The day blanket (which is different from the even thinner domestic F blanket) is used on both premium transcons and Hawaii flights. I got one on HNL-IAH recently. The duvets are now used exclusively on long-haul international Polaris flights.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You're correct - it's the Sak's day blanket. Significantly thicker than the regular blue domestic blanket but not quite the thickness of a duvet.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had an issue and have one of each - a blanket and duvet. Nobody's ever challenged me about it. If they did, I'd just mention buying it on the United Shop online and I'm sure the conversation would end there...
Good to know, as I regularly bring my own blue gel pillow, which I did get as a gift from UA.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
You're correct - it's the Sak's day blanket.
-FlyerBeek
While the thickness is better than the blue blankette, the size is too small, esp for sleeping!
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

As I was scrolling through the "United Partners" pages on my flight, noted the following for those perusing United Shop:

Save 10% in April with promo code SPRINGTIME
David
dmurphynj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
The day blanket (which is different from the even thinner domestic F blanket) is used on both premium transcons and Hawaii flights. I got one on HNL-IAH recently. The duvets are now used exclusively on long-haul international Polaris flights.
Is this expected to be the case for Alaska? Flying F on a 757-200 this summer ANC-EWR.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: United 1K
another data point here but I always bring my UA duvet on planes with lie flats in a tote bag that I carry on in addition to my backpack + carry on. Have done this at least 12 times on EWR-LAX routes since they removed the duvets from premium transcon routes and have never been told anything by an FA about it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.