Considering United Aviate in my 40s

Old Apr 10, 21, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How about completing that ppl and just renting planes for flying? Maybe there’s a part time situation that you can try if you aren’t satisfied with only plane renting.
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
I've been faced with your decision twice in my life: once at 37 years old, and once at almost 50 after selling my business and wondering what next. Both times I elected to pass on the commercial aviation path, and added another rating to permit me to fly more advanced private aircraft. I'm now 70 and don't regret making the choices I did, but sometimes, especially on long international flights, I play the "what if" game in my head. I've owned a series of really interesting planes for 39 years, have accumulated 5,000+ PIC hours, and can now fly what and when I want because I took a non-aviation vocation path to secure my family's financial future.

My advice would be to stay the course, and pursue aviation as an avocation.

Last edited by deek; Apr 10, 21 at 11:48 pm
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Just curious: Are there any pilots here who have experience at a regional or mainline carrier that would advise against this path? I agree that there is a lot of merit to choosing a different career path and making enough money that you can fly on your own dime, but for lack of a better term I'm seeing a lot of rationalization from people that chose not to follow the dream rather than those that chose to follow the dream and regret it. There is a ton of value in that perspective, but as others have pointed out it may not be especially well balanced ... many who made the leap and love it are hanging out elsewhere.
Old Apr 10, 21, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Just curious: Are there any pilots here who have experience at a regional or mainline carrier that would advise against this path? I agree that there is a lot of merit to choosing a different career path and making enough money that you can fly on your own dime, but for lack of a better term I'm seeing a lot of rationalization from people that chose not to follow the dream rather than those that chose to follow the dream and regret it. There is a ton of value in that perspective, but as others have pointed out it may not be especially well balanced ... many who made the leap and love it are hanging out elsewhere.
Not exactly addressing your question, but I'm good friends with two UA and one AA wide-body captains who are strongly discouraging their own children and a neighbor's kid from following their career paths. All 3 have experienced a lot of turbulence and set-backs in their Part 135 careers, and although they don't regret their choices they can't recommend the path.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: