Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more 737 MAX waivers beginning April 7?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more 737 MAX waivers beginning April 7?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When I book flights, my wife still asks if it's a MAX or not. The plane still has an aura about it.
What happens if the answer is yes?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vtgambler
What happens if the answer is yes?
Hasn't happened yet.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Confirmations are starting to slow up on other blogger sites

Big day for UA announcements -- UA giveth, UA takeaway
Did I miss a "giveth" announcement somewhere?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Did I miss a "giveth" announcement somewhere?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33144275-post388.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33144546-post391.html

I'm OK with this trade.
RobOnLI likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2021 at 8:21 pm Reason: repaired link
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Suspect the lack of interest is a reason for dropping the special MAX waiver and instead just using the standard "no Change Fee" waiver. Does appear a few were using the MAX waiver as way to get a free any fare change.
Yeah, but having to use the ‘no change fee’ waiver means pax are on the hook for any fare difference. I thought the MAX waiver didn’t incur a fare difference. Didnt Kirby (or some other executive) say at the time they announced it that it would stay on for the foreseeable future (though at the time, guess COVID wasn’t foreseeable, so...)
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bradysimpson
How many people would be interested in knowing if their plane is a MAX or not? I figured most people don't care. Any sense of the split?
I'd be interested. I'd rather fly on the MAX than an NG or older model as long as the maintainence and pilots met US standards. If maintenance and pilots don't meet US standards, I'd rather fly another airline regardless of airframe.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Am I missing something here? The United website still indicates I can change to a non-MAX aircraft or get a refund. If I am going to the trouble of booking non-MAX flights and United switches me to a MAX flight I do think a change to a non-MAX flight or refund is totally in order. I know my days with United are numbered as they put more MAX aircraft in the fleet. Delta is very convenient for many of my flights so not a huge loss for me (or United) if I change carrier.

For the first time in decades I have no flights booked and starting to look at flights for July and the rest of the year and was feeling very reassured that if United switched my flight to a MAX it would not be an issue but this thread makes me think otherwise. Delta flies where I want to travel...perhaps late 2021 will be the year of the switch.
SPN Lifer and DenverBrian like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have flights on 7M9 before and after April 7. It looks like there are no differences if I had wanted to make changes with both flights.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Am I missing something here? The United website still indicates I can change to a non-MAX aircraft or get a refund. If I am going to the trouble of booking non-MAX flights and United switches me to a MAX flight I do think a change to a non-MAX flight or refund is totally in order. I know my days with United are numbered as they put more MAX aircraft in the fleet. Delta is very convenient for many of my flights so not a huge loss for me (or United) if I change carrier.

For the first time in decades I have no flights booked and starting to look at flights for July and the rest of the year and was feeling very reassured that if United switched my flight to a MAX it would not be an issue but this thread makes me think otherwise. Delta flies where I want to travel...perhaps late 2021 will be the year of the switch.
The thread title says "beginning April 7th". Today is April 3rd (or 4th, depending on where in the world you are). So what do you expect to be missing? The waivers end on the 7th if the rumor is true...it has nothing to do with the date of the flight. So if you have Max9 flights scheduled right now and want to change off of them you should do it before April 7th (US Central Time).

-RM
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
April 7th is here and the MAX notice and waiver on my upcoming trip has vanished.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This is still posted at UA.com All about the Boeing 737 MAX: Safety, status and more (united.com) :

What if I don’t want to fly on a MAX?

If you do not wish to fly on a MAX aircraft, you have the flexibility to change your flight with no change fee for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S.; flights between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean; or international flights originating in the U.S. Change fees are also waived for Basic Economy tickets issued by April 30 and all other standard tickets issued by May 31.

You should feel completely confident that we have taken all the necessary steps to confirm that our 737 MAX aircraft are as safe as any of our aircraft flying today. Safety has been and always will be our top priority, and it’s something we will never compromise for any reason.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is still posted at UA.com All about the Boeing 737 MAX: Safety, status and more (united.com) :

What if I don’t want to fly on a MAX?

If you do not wish to fly on a MAX aircraft, you have the flexibility to change your flight with no change fee for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S.; flights between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean; or international flights originating in the U.S. Change fees are also waived for Basic Economy tickets issued by April 30 and all other standard tickets issued by May 31.

You should feel completely confident that we have taken all the necessary steps to confirm that our 737 MAX aircraft are as safe as any of our aircraft flying today. Safety has been and always will be our top priority, and it’s something we will never compromise for any reason.
That is the standard no change fee waiver terms. The previous MAX waiver also included a fare difference waiver -- that is no longer on the MAX page. Also the prior waiver had no date limitations.

So it does appear the MAX is gone and you will need to use the standard no change provisions if you want to change flights.

Old MAX Waiver, now gone from the MAX page
We will waive any applicable change fees or difference in fare if your rebooked flight:
  • Has the same origin and destination as your original flight
  • Is in your originally ticketed cabin (any booking code)
  • Is rescheduled for the same day or one day earlier or later than your original travel date
  • Is a United or United Express flight only
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
That is the standard no change fee waiver terms. The previous MAX waiver also included a fare difference waiver -- that is no longer on the MAX page. Also the prior waiver had no date limitations.

So it does appear the MAX is gone and you will need to use the standard no change provisions if you want to change flights.
Yep, I did a dummy reschedule on my upcoming MAX flight and would have been charged the fare difference.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Oscar promised this waiver as then CEO and pre COVID. They probably should have left it in place a bit longer. I doubt many folks were using it
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I'd be interested. I'd rather fly on the MAX than an NG or older model as long as the maintainence and pilots met US standards. If maintenance and pilots don't meet US standards, I'd rather fly another airline regardless of airframe.
What makes the MAX over other 737s more preferable to you, given maintenance & pilot US standards being equal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.