Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Archeology, but for an old and undated United paper travel certificate (CS25)

Old Mar 31, 21, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS G75K, Marriott Gold, status-free on AA, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, etc.

My father-in-law found a $25 United travel certificate without an issue or expiration date indicated, just a 12-digit dot-matrix-printed number on the front. It features UA's 1974-1993 logo, and the honoring instructions on the back reference a ticket designator of "CS25/F" for United and "UX25/F" for United Express as well as profile codes to look up additional information in systems like Apollo, Sabre, Pars, Datas 2 and the inscrutably named "System 1." Anybody have an idea of its age, or if my MM FIL has any chance of redeeming this if he's in the mood for a customer-service challenge?

Old Mar 31, 21, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCA writer View Post
My father-in-law found a $25 United travel certificate without an issue or expiration date indicated, just a 12-digit dot-matrix-printed number on the front. It features UA's 1974-1993 logo, and the honoring instructions on the back reference a ticket designator of "CS25/F" for United and "UX25/F" for United Express as well as profile codes to look up additional information in systems like Apollo, Sabre, Pars, Datas 2 and the inscrutably named "System 1." Anybody have an idea of its age, or if my MM FIL has any chance of redeeming this if he's in the mood for a customer-service challenge?
Very cool!

And well - if they have instructions on how to use System One to process, that might just be all he needs... Today's United SHARES is, after all, a direct evolution of Eastern's System One.

(I'm kidding of course - I strongly, strongly doubt it would work today ......)
DCA writer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 21, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
A discussion from 2008 on CS25s
CS25 certs still accepted?

The answer was not longer accepted or valid, over 10 years ago

There were, at that time, two two types of cert -- CSxx where xx was a dollar amount -- 25 being the most common Customer Service
and PMO/DOLLARUA

The were some problems about their distrubtion and eventually UA voided them. All pre-merger

Let the nostalgia begin ....
DCA writer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Mar 31, 21, 10:52 pm

Programs: Several
You’d probably get more than $25 selling it on eBay. That’s some high-quality aviation nerd stuff (me being included in that group).

One of the best gifts I ever received was from my wife. She found a Concorde flask in decent shape. Apparently, they’d give all passengers little unique gifts on every flight with the flask being one.

Frame that certificate now! 😁
DCA writer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS G75K, Marriott Gold, status-free on AA, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, etc.
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
And well - if they have instructions on how to use System One to process, that might just be all he needs... Today's United SHARES is, after all, a direct evolution of Eastern's System One.
I had no idea! But I did wonder if "System 1" meant SHARES from the "GGHQUAAMENITIES" code listed after it on this cert.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 9:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I had no idea! But I did wonder if "System 1" meant SHARES from the "GGHQUAAMENITIES" code listed after it on this cert.
That's a SHARES command ("GG" for Go Get) but I doubt there's a page/procedure associated with it today. Usually the "AMENITIES" command would lead to policies on reaccommodating pax in IRROPS. Would be interesting if any of our resident UA employess could run that in native SHARES and see if anything returns...
Old Apr 1, 21, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine View Post
You’d probably get more than $25 selling it on eBay. That’s some high-quality aviation nerd stuff (me being included in that group).
Oooh I hope that selling expired CS25's on eBay isn't one of those things OP could get their MP account shut down over
jtet likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It may not hurt to send a message to UA via Twitter. After all, they honored a paper ticket 2 years ago: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8190951.html
Old Apr 1, 21, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
It may not hurt to send a message to UA via Twitter. ...
Perhaps one off as a gesture but as UA stopped honoring these 12-13 years ago, pretty unrealistic expectation.
Old Apr 1, 21, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
That's a SHARES command ("GG" for Go Get) but I doubt there's a page/procedure associated with it today. Usually the "AMENITIES" command would lead to policies on reaccommodating pax in IRROPS. Would be interesting if any of our resident UA employess could run that in native SHARES and see if anything returns...
I just got a "Letter H Index" page.
EWR764, DCA writer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 3:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So I was beat to the punch but for airline reservation nerds Eastern's System 1 was sold to travel agents as System One Direct Access (SODA) as a Sabre/Apollo competitor -- when Lorenzo bought Eastern, System 1 was one of the first (IIRC) assets he spun out of Eastern and into its own company under the Jet Capital (Lorenzo) umbrella, at the same time making Eastern pay allegedly exorbitant rates to access/use as a "tenant" the system they had built. Later on when Texas International (who had been renting Sabre from American) and Continental got hooked up the combined airline wound up running System One because it was cheaper (I have little doubt that union-lite Continental got charged lower fees than Eastern did but would be really interesting to see what the finances actually looked like) than Sabre.

At some point during the Lorenzo/Jet Capital/Continental/Eastern implosion ownership of what is now known as SHARES (the SHared Airline REServations system) wound up fully in Continental's camp, before eventually being spun out to Electronic Data Systems (EDS) which is now part of HPE. As part of the spinout CO negotiated a very financially favorable licensing/support arrangement in the process which is one of two major reasons the "new" UA kept SHARES vs whatever pmUA used or migrating to something fresher (which I believe pmUA had a contract for before the merger that got put on ice).

As for the DRS coed me thinks based on the syntax (GG = Go Get HQUA = from United Airlines AMENITIES = The specific DRS entry) that even if the record were still valid it would essentially wind up in a dead end.

As a side note, anyone know if GG PROUDBIRD is still live? Was talking to a long time employee a while back and it was mentioned that for several decades that DRS entry, a reference to a long past CO marketing tagline, contained all of the specifics for handling each aircraft type (parking positions, heights, widths, etc.).
EWR764, SPN Lifer and DCA writer like this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post

As a side note, anyone know if GG PROUDBIRD is still live? Was talking to a long time employee a while back and it was mentioned that for several decades that DRS entry, a reference to a long past CO marketing tagline, contained all of the specifics for handling each aircraft type (parking positions, heights, widths, etc.).
good one! It still exists, but only as the index page. It’s not searchable and only has the old birds.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 9:16 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Did we not call the CS25 (and the rarer, twice as valuable CS50s) “Bluey/Bluies” here on FT? (The next generation of those certs were printed on a thicker card stock with a blue sky background).

Next, someone’s got to mention the United Connection software and really throw it old school!
Old Apr 1, 21, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Were these the ones that UA would give you if you volunteered to be bumped off a flight, but they ended up not needing your seat after all? I use to do this all the time when they made an announcement knowing I would at least get that $25 voucher. But I forget, didn't one have to wait like 48 or 72 hours afterwards before they could redeem it? I miss the old United.
Old Apr 2, 21, 9:36 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Yes, those are the ones. I think I have one leftover here somewhere deep in my collection of BPs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: