Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New summer seasonal flights - Midwest cities to beaches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

New summer seasonal flights - Midwest cities to beaches

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
On the Monday return flight back to CVG, about 50%. Only 4 passengers in First, the 3 FC tickets my group purchased, and then 1 other passenger. No one else even qualified for the upgrade list apparently.

Yeah looks like Monday's flight to HHH had zero in F. I'm guessing this was still a better place for the -550 than elsewhere, maybe it'll pick up in Jul/Aug?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:36 am

Strange flight / one offs

Sitting at MKE this morning, they just started boarding a direct flight to Savannah UA3971. There’s also a direct to Charleston this morning UA3830.

What gives?

mods I think there is a master thread on this but couldn’t find it. Thx
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat
Strange but not one-off! https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...int-expansion/
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
For a second I confused MKE with JMK and got extremely excited :P
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Fun! Thanks for the info. When I heard the agent announcing boarding for SAV I definitely raised a brow!
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Fun! Thanks for the info. When I heard the agent announcing boarding for SAV I definitely raised a brow!
Mr. Kirby got a playbook from AA. There are some flights that bypass a hub such as BOS-MCO, LGA-RDU (response to DL’s RDU-EWR). Another one is SNA-HNL. There are many more to top tourist heavens for this summer, which bypass the hubs.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA has also operated a bunch of non-hub flights to/from Florida airports - e.g. LGA, BOS, CLE
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
So, took my first CVG<->HHH trip, this for a long weekend.

It had been a LONG time since I used HHH (usually SAV). As to be expected, very small airport...which is now overwhelmed by the number of flights added. total of 3 "gates", none of which have jet bridges. One each for United, AA, and Delta.
Both arriving and departing flights were delayed due to gate availability.

VERY small gate waiting area. Display board in the terminal shows which flights should go through security to wait for their upcoming boarding. Not enough room to have multiple flights of people waiting post-security. No post-security services. Only thing in the terminal is vending machines.

Both my flights were pretty lightly loaded.

On the Monday return flight back to CVG, about 50%. Only 4 passengers in First, the 3 FC tickets my group purchased, and then 1 other passenger. No one else even qualified for the upgrade list apparently.
They also didn't have ANY alcohol or even snack bags loaded for the flight back.

Nice to have the direct flight, but wish they executed better.
Been there a small handful of times. The HHH terminal was relocated to the west side of the airport in 1995 with an all-new facility. In those days, about the only service was US (now AA) Dash 8-200 service to Charlotte with maybe a couple of DL puddle jumpers to ATL (don't remember). About three years ago, they completed a major runway project that allows ERJs etc. and service has expanded by multiples as a result.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Been there a small handful of times. The HHH terminal was relocated to the west side of the airport in 1995 with an all-new facility. In those days, about the only service was US (now AA) Dash 8-200 service to Charlotte with maybe a couple of DL puddle jumpers to ATL (don't remember). About three years ago, they completed a major runway project that allows ERJs etc. and service has expanded by multiples as a result.
Thanks for the history on HHH. I recall a couple trips on US Air prop planes long ago, but no specific memory of terminal or other setups.

Current ground facilities may be marginally OK with limited service to some hubs. But with all 3 airlines adding many flights...it just overwhelms the facility. Not sure it would be worth expanding them though, as I doubt this level of service will last much longer.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: UA MM
Thanks for the history on HHH. I recall a couple trips on US Air prop planes long ago, but no specific memory of terminal or other setups.

Current ground facilities may be marginally OK with limited service to some hubs. But with all 3 airlines adding many flights...it just overwhelms the facility. Not sure it would be worth expanding them though, as I doubt this level of service will last much longer.
It's a beautiful facility for what it was designed for... STOL turboprop service to primarily Charlotte. Now with the longer runway and jet service, I'm sure they'll be thinking about "What's next?" for the terminal. No doubt service at HHH will drop off substantially after Labor Day, especially UA's service to HHH.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I personally wouldn't categorize PIT as a midwestern city but what do I know...

David

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2021 at 7:30 pm Reason: moved to topic thread
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
I personally wouldn't categorize PIT as a midwestern city but what do I know...

David
While those of us west of the Rockies have trouble with the common definition of "midwest", the "common definition" is
The Midwest, as defined by the federal government, comprises the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
PIT may be a stretch but it's only 20 miles or so from Ohio and has more in common with Ohio than with eastern Penn

Historically the concept of MidWest goes back to the early 1800's (post Louisiana Purchase)
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While those of us west of the Rockies have trouble with the common definition of "midwest", the "common definition" is

PIT may be a stretch but it's only 20 miles or so from Ohio and has more in common with Ohio than with eastern Penn

Historically the concept of MidWest goes back to the early 1800's (post Louisiana Purchase)
Hmm. My US history classes remind me that PA was/is one of the 13 original colonies so not part of the Louisiana Purchase.

Anyway, if folks from PIT and CLE and other places nearby really want to fly to HHH and other places at this time of year that have high hurricane opportunities, more power to them.

David
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hmm. My US history classes remind me that PA was/is one of the 13 original colonies so not part of the Louisiana Purchase. ...
The original name for the present "MidWest" was the Northwest Territories but after the Louisiana Purchase, the common name became the MidWest. Suspect that was part of many America in the 1800's history classes.

Anyway, if folks from PIT and CLE and other places nearby really want to fly to HHH and other places at this time of year that have high hurricane opportunities, more power to them. ...
As stated earlier in the other thread, these flights started in the early summer and will probably taper off as we are approaching the off-season.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The original name for the present "MidWest" was the Northwest Territories but after the Louisiana Purchase, the common name became the MidWest. Suspect that was part of many America in the 1800's history classes.
True but still not including the Commonwealth of PA.

As stated earlier in the other thread, these flights started in the early summer and will probably taper off as we are approaching the off-season.
Unless UA continues to see a demand from les leisure folks. Oh, and probably fall/snow birds. And still see no business pickup for the remainder of 2021.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.