Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Speculative TATL UA bookings pros and cons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculative TATL UA bookings pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Here's a question to the wise: I'm getting ready to book Europe for May. Should I book now or wait for the May schedule to be posted, as it seems it will happen this weekend? There's nice PZ and P availability now, do I risk it going away if I wait for the changes to go through and capacity gets reduced?

Last edited by gusd; Mar 25, 2021 at 1:25 pm Reason: Added more context as post was moved from the schedule change thread
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gusd
Here a question to the wise: I'm getting ready to book Europe for May. Should I book now or wait for the changes to go through? There's nice PZ and P availability now, do I risk it going away if I wait for the changes to go through and capacity gets reduced?
That is definitely a risk. What I've personally been doing is the day before the probably schedule change I book a dirt cheap flight and consistently specific for travel from Hawaii the price goes up quite a bit when they reduce capacity. My schedule change triggers a free 1 time change to any flight I want.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Here's a question to the wise: I'm getting ready to book Europe for May. Should I book now or wait for the May schedule to be posted, as it seems it will happen this weekend? There's nice PZ and P availability now, do I risk it going away if I wait for the changes to go through and capacity gets reduced?
A) which route / carrier?
B) points or cash?
C) would you be allowed to enter Europe as per today?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
A) which route / carrier?
B) points or cash?
C) would you be allowed to enter Europe as per today?
A) Combination of UA + Intra-EU LH, so not a risk of flights being cut complely
B) cash, otherwise P/PZ wouldn't matter
C) Yes

But these are not really relevant. I was mainly looking at in principle, as I see 2 possibilities for any itinerary to anywhere in Europe for me at this point:
1. Book now to take advantage of P/PZ - disadvantage: schedule change hacking up the itinerary, having to reroute
2. Wait for the schedule change to get a more stable itinerary, somewhat less likely (though anything can happen) to get schedule changes - disadvantage: P/PZ gone, tickets becoming more expensive for the same itinerary for the same day.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But these are not really relevant. I was mainly looking at in principle, as I see 2 possibilities for any itinerary to anywhere in Europe for me at this point:
1. Book now to take advantage of P/PZ - disadvantage: schedule change hacking up the itinerary, having to reroute
2. Wait for the schedule change to get a more stable itinerary, somewhat less likely (though anything can happen) to get schedule changes - disadvantage: P/PZ gone, tickets becoming more expensive for the same itinerary for the same day.
If the currently-published schedule is agreeable, there is absolutely no advantage to waiting. If there's a schedule change, you now have the ability to pick any UA flight that you wish, and keep P/PZ regardless of the current availability, or to get a refund if necessary. If there's no schedule change, then you don't have anything to worry about.

In the vast majority of cases, a schedule change is a good thing for the traveler.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If the currently-published schedule is agreeable, there is absolutely no advantage to waiting. If there's a schedule change, you now have the ability to pick any UA flight that you wish, and keep P/PZ regardless of the current availability, or to get a refund if necessary. If there's no schedule change, then you don't have anything to worry about.

In the vast majority of cases, a schedule change is a good thing for the traveler.
Thanks, jsloan. And the UA flights on the itinerary are ones that are also operating now, so hopefully no major schedule changes.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
The only smart speculative intl bookings involve using points on hand or residual vouchers (i.e., sunk costs). This is no time to be playing around with "real dollars" for expensive international trips.

​​​In fact, those paying with $$$ are in the best position to wait precisely because you have the option of doing nothing until something good and feasible comes along. Besides, if and when TATL reopens in earnest, there will be deals galore across many airlines and alliances, so put yourself in a straightjacket with one airline when you don't have to?​​​
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Besides, if and when TATL reopens in earnest, there will be deals galore across many airlines and alliances, so put yourself in a straightjacket with one airline when you don't have to?​​​
Counterpoint: if and when TATL reopens in earnest, the airlines will see a surge of pent-up demand, and there will be no deals to be had.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly seems to be what the airlines are expecting.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 6:45 pm

Counterpoint: if and when TATL reopens in earnest, the airlines will see a surge of pent-up demand, and there will be no deals to be had.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly seems to be what the airlines are expecting.
+1

Look at the prices to China that have been really high since flights restarted.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
+1

Look at the prices to China that have been really high since flights restarted.
United’s competitors set the price. United’s flight is very empty (~30%) because no tourists are allowed to enter China.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I just cancelled my European flights that has been booked for May. Significant schedule change so ETC for the amount booked with an ETC and refund for the cash differential I had paid. I am reading that Europe (well Spain) will be open from July 1 for international visitors but the flights are expensive and coach within $300 of business. I am holding off booking as I am not certain Europe will be open although they kind of have to be for the countries very dependent on tourism. I have been vaccinated but that was purely because I wanted to travel in May. I suspect the COVID vaccine will be like the flu vaccine and you will need an annual/semi-annual dose.

I normally like to book way in advance and am fine with the airline having my funds but the uncertainty with the high airfares makes me reluctant to purchase for late Summer 2021.
SPN Lifer and nerdbirdsjc like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:55 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Read an article and they used the term "compression."

They quoted some travel operator who said the J&J vaccine will be the game changer and essentially most of Europe will be vaccinated in 6 weeks so you better book now.

Because people who had bookings in 2020 rolled them over to 2021 and with Europe possible deciding to allow tourism fairly late, everyone will rush in as soon as they give the green light.

Someone noted that the EU was defining the end of summer as Sept 21, but to many people in the industry, that was way late for them to salvage their tourism business.

Financial Times interviewed an owner of 8 hotels in Mallorca. They will have a lot of German tourists for Easter but they need a full summer because she's losing 1.5 million Euros a month and has furloughed 3,000 employees. Says another summer missed would wreck a lot of tourism industry businesses permanently.

So if the authorities have the slightest positive indications, they will be pressured to open up.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by fumje
No knocks on Denver, but what would be its pull for leisure travel?
Skiing? Some places are open until July!
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MMProfessor
Skiing? Some places are open until July!
Well, this year that should go well. Maybe didn't realise what a market that is.

Aside: why does my pelican case always get sent to the ski carousels in DEN? It's a normal carry-on size, and not at all like skis.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:02 pm

So, following up on this, with last night's update, as I expected, P fares for my itinerary went up $600 (economy even more). So good thing that I booked then. The schedule change has me on a later flight now to IAD, with a 71-minute connection in IAD to my flight to MUC, but that was expected, as the earlier flight was not in the April schedule. IAD-MUC went from 772 to 788, but at least for now the seat map still shows true Polaris.

I just hope 71 minutes will be fine, as all TATL flights seem to leave within a 30-minute bank, so there aren't many rerouting options later that evening.
jsloan and Kmxu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.