Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Speculative TATL UA bookings pros and cons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculative TATL UA bookings pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:27 pm

United is offering some borderline crazy ($3300) Polaris fares to the UK in March if you stay for a couple of weeks. Wonder what they know?
United747 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
United is offering some borderline crazy ($3300) Polaris fares to the UK in March if you stay for a couple of weeks. Wonder what they know?
Im close to booking that to CDG for a work trip at the end of Jan. MXP is sub $2k for a lot of dates…
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Those aren’t borderline crazy, Precovid I had often seen summer fairs to Paris London and elsewhere in the $2500-$3000 round-trip range. However you do have to jump on them because they disappear quickly and may not return.

for some reason I woke up today and started searching for *A saver biz class to Europe. At this point I see a lot of unappealing space via Canada but may take bite on a couple of summer trips (not AC) as the downside is zero. I can always redeposit if better routing or low fares materialize.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:43 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So if you book now, you can change if necessary.

But if it's a situation like the previous two summers, EU may not clarify their travel policies for tourism until late spring. By then, if you try to rebook, the fares you see now won't be close to the fares then, even if they let you rebook without change fees.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have booked my early summer trip. Third attempt at Camino trail. 🤞 Had to cancel 2020 because well Spain closed down, 2021 my Aussie walking partners could not leave their country, so 2022 it is!

Looking at Spring travel to the UK but just uncertain about travel restrictions as we move out of Winter.

Looking at Australia for late summer but their winter so concerned about travel restrictions.

Think summer TATL travel is very viable.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am traveling but no no speculative bookings for me as I am only booking a couple weeks out.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by United747
Im close to booking that to CDG for a work trip at the end of Jan. MXP is sub $2k for a lot of dates…
sub $2k? That's a great fare. Very tempting. I am fully booked for 2022 ... high risk high reward. If not possible to travel I can cancel in some cases (like NZ fares were refundable ) or just get a flight credit. I buy when I see good deals, but to each their own!
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I am looking for Morocco (CMN) for end of Sept., only options offered on UA.com are AC outbound and LH inbound for ~$3400. What is a reasonable Business Class fare to CMN? For whatever reason, Googles Flights show lowest Business Class fares over $5000 pretty useless for search purposes.

I will book with UA because of cancellation policy. LH has nonrefundable fares, or refundable for ~$600 more.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Those aren’t borderline crazy,
Agreed. It's an okay fare but not really noteworthy. We're flying TATL from SFO later this month on LX on a $1513 P fare, and there's currently an $1858 fare for sale. AA/OW: SFO-MAD & ORD-VCE/NAP Business $1858
Boraxo and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by CIT85
I am looking for Morocco (CMN) for end of Sept., only options offered on UA.com are AC outbound and LH inbound for ~$3400. What is a reasonable Business Class fare to CMN? For whatever reason, Googles Flights show lowest Business Class fares over $5000 pretty useless for search purposes.

I will book with UA because of cancellation policy. LH has nonrefundable fares, or refundable for ~$600 more.
Been 10 years but I flew AF to CMN. Great service and fare was very reasonable.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Been 10 years but I flew AF to CMN. Great service and fare was very reasonable.
I may have to do that as well, on our own. The tour group we're joining in Casablanca is going with Delta/AF, however their premium for Business Class is $3900 above Economy, which is effectively ~$4700-$4800 for Business.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:41 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
UA reported their earnings and gave some hints at what kind of revenues it was forecasting.

United lowered its 2022 growth forecast, saying it would fly less this year than it did three years ago, scrapping its plan to increase capacity by 5% from pre-pandemic levels. Costs for the first quarter would be up by as much as 15%, excluding fuel, and capacity down by 16% to 18% from three years earlier.

United's shares were off more than 2% in after-hours trading.

The airline said that bookings for spring and summer are strong, however.

"The United team has been fighting through unprecedented obstacles to, once again, overcome the new and daunting challenges that COVID-19 is bringing to aviation, and I am grateful to each one of them for their commitment to taking care of our customers," United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said in an earnings release. "Omicron is impacting near term demand, we remain optimistic about the spring and excited about the summer and beyond."
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/19/unit...ngs-4q-21.html

DL also said they anticipate a rebound by summer.

Travel booking app Hopper predicted fare prices for both domestic and international rising at faster than historic averages through June, though they're starting from historically low levels.

Currently, at around $649 roundtrip, international airfares are lower than they've ever been in January while at $234 roundtrip, domestic airline ticket prices are near historic lows as well.

However, even though it's not unusual for flight prices to dip after the holidays, Hopper is expecting ticket prices to rise much faster than usual at an average of 7% a month through June when customers can expect to pay around $315 roundtrip domestically. The hike in fare prices may be due to the omicron variant subsiding and as spring break travel is on the horizon.

In fact, the steepest single-month increase — around 11% — is expected in March, just in time for spring break.

As for those looking to leave the states, Hopper expects international flight prices to rise at a slower rate when compared to domestic airfares but still faster than usual at a 5% a month increase through June with peak fares estimated at approximately $830 round trip.

"Prices have been especially volatile between the delta and omicron variant waves, swinging nearly $200/round-trip twice over four months," Hopper said in its report, noting that airfare prices typically rise around 2% a month going into the summer months.

Fortunately, average airline ticket prices are expected to catch up to pre-pandemic levels around April, the company found.

When it comes to the destinations themselves, domestic search trends among Hopper users included flights to Orlando, Las Vegas, and Miami while those looking to fly international were searching for flights to London, Cancun, and Paris.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...s-through-june

Seems like they're assuming overall increases in demand as we get out of the Omicron wave, which may have artificially depressed fare prices.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by exp
UA reported their earnings and gave some hints at what kind of revenues it was forecasting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/19/unit...ngs-4q-21.html

DL also said they anticipate a rebound by summer.

Travel booking app Hopper predicted fare prices for both domestic and international rising at faster than historic averages through June, though they're starting from historically low levels.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...s-through-june

Seems like they're assuming overall increases in demand as we get out of the Omicron wave, which may have artificially depressed fare prices.
Ah, but who's the user base for Hopper? Seems a bit consumer/leisure oriented.

David
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Ah, but who's the user base for Hopper? Seems a bit consumer/leisure oriented
That's essentially what Kirby said on CNBC this morning. They are already seeing big uptick in spring/summer leisure bookings, but no clue on business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.