Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA514 LAX-JFK
JALOO5-Flyer 3A
tomasem

UA520 SFO-JFK

UA523 JFK-SFO
PTahCha 1F
truncated 9L
EsquireFlyer 2A
Clarkcc1 8L (will be wearing very unique shirt - you'll know who I am!)
​​FlyerBeek - 15A

UA517 JFK-LAX
J_Stroming - 11A
ORDnHKG - 22A now 15L

Print Wikipost

UA's 2021 Return to JFK - Inaugural Flights on 28 March thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
LAX-JFK UA514
28MAR2021

I must admit, I was not expecting the inaugural flight when I booked this flight. My original flight was booked later in the week, but I shortened my trip to leave on Sunday. I knew the flight was new but it didn't occur to me until I saw the festivities at the gate. I did my best to take some pictures.

UA lounge at LAX promoting the JFK flight

Gate area, I was late to board

Amenity kit and trinkets they gave out at the gate

Departing from LAX

Meal onboard, choice of quiche or french toast

Arrival at JFK

JFK boarding area

It was also my first time flying the high-J 763, great seats, it felt slightly wider than the 787 seats. Wish this route a great success, even though I kinda hate going out to JFK, but the choice is nice.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
After dinner FAs have been walking the aisles with bottles of wine every 15-20 min or so — that’s something I’d expect with NH or SQ but not UA so consider me impressed... crew has been great so far

Although the plastic cups really don’t help...
SPN Lifer and mehitabel like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
After dinner FAs have been walking the aisles with bottles of wine every 15-20 min or so — that’s something I’d expect with NH or SQ but not UA so consider me impressed... crew has been great so far

Although the plastic cups really don’t help...
That can also be FA rotation specific. Usually not the case for UA flights, but I have had the pleasure of 1 or 2 very proactive UA crew so far this year.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
That can also be FA rotation specific. Usually not the case for UA flights, but I have had the pleasure of 1 or 2 very proactive UA crew so far this year.
I do wonder if these flights were one of the more competitive flight bids. That might help with getting a good crew.

Would have liked to be one one of the inaugurals!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:39 pm

Options on JFK-SFO today are lobster mac and butternut squash ravioli — the former was excellent

Other than that no special treats (yet?), and they ran out of old fashioneds by the time the first drink service got to me in 9L...
Originally Posted by J_Stroming

JFK-LAX, same options as poster above, lobster Mac or Butternut Squash Ravioli. I chose the Ravioli.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Meal onboard, choice of quiche or french toast
Thanks to all for the info and pics! Though I'm now re-thinking Row 9 based on truncated's feedback...
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Thanks to all for the info and pics! Though I'm now re-thinking Row 9 based on truncated's feedback...
Well to be fair the purser began taking drink orders down the left aisle and could hear him proactively suggesting the old fashioned to people, which is probably why it went so quickly.

But other than that 9L is a great seat (although I would probably have preferred 9A since I’m right-handed), and I did get my first choice of meal still.

Also update on the cabinet situation — tried pushing at various places like people on here suggested, but no luck. However after the meal service the FA brought the purser who came with another knife and this time they managed to pry it open (but the knife did get bent in the process)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Curious if there was a water cannon salute for UA514 as the first UA arrival into JFK. I know UA523 got one as the first departure, and it seems like UA520 did not get one as the second arrival.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
some quick thoughts before filing the trip report:

it was great to see all the FTers at the airport!

Pre-check gets a semi-preferential treatment at the ID checking line, but you merge with the regular line afterwards. They were testing this new scanning machine that is taking the agent 30 seconds to examine each bag.

Clearly this was a big deal for United, as there were a number of executives and their bag holders in tow, as well as the NYC sales team was there. Ironically, it was the formalities that delayed the flight, since the crew was not onboard until the ribbon cutting was done, and people were stopping to take pictures while boarding. There were also a number of employees who were there to see the flight off.

They already made We Are JFK lanyards.

the water cannon salute was the only reason I regretted not choosing a window seat. Otherwise, seat 1F was great.

Originally Posted by fumje
I do wonder if these flights were one of the more competitive flight bids. That might help with getting a good crew.

Would have liked to be one one of the inaugurals!
the captain mentioned that the flight attendants have over 100 years of experience combined. I believe they are SFO based, with at least 2 international qualified pursers up front.

Uh oh is right... my gut tells me I’ll have to wait for the mechanics upon arrival but we’ll see what happens.

Good thing I have 4 hours after arrival until my B6 redeye back to BOS...
After reading the FT report, with only 2 minutes of wi-if left, I went back to truncated and managed to get the door stuck again, and got it unstuck without resorting to the knife.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
That would make up for that depressing french toast.

I do love a good proactive wine refill...
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
After reading the FT report, with only 2 minutes of wi-if left, I went back to truncated and managed to get the door stuck again, and got it unstuck without resorting to the knife.
So, pray tell, how did you unstuck it without a knife?

David
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee

David
I have had good success when in that predicament with a well-targeted, adequately forceful thump right at the latch (where "push" is engraved, I believe).
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by DELee

David
Originally Posted by fumje
I have had good success when in that predicament with a well-targeted, adequately forceful thump right at the latch (where "push" is engraved, I believe).
fumje is exactly right. Rather an a gentle push, apply direct force to where "PUSH" is engraved. If necessary, use the side of your hand, with your hand making a fist, instead of fingers. Also, standing in the aisle instead of in the sitting position will help you to apply additional force to the door. If the door popped but jammed, pull out the door by grasping the top and bottom of the door. Breath normally.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Here's the video of arrival of UA 514 from LAX.

cesco.g, SS255, tuolumne and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few tidbits:

1) At the ground & inflight:
- especially ground staff at both LAX & JFK was very excited; at LAX lead ramp agent came onto the plane to report all is loaded and thanking everybody - pretty cool & a first for me.
- at JFK two VPs were present: David Kinzelman, VP of Global Airport Operations (speaking) and Ankit Gupta VP of Network Development
- LAX-JFK crew was great, JFK-LAX a bit less - more "Newarkish"

and: the inflight credit card promo announcement was promptly delivered! No disappointment here!

2) Others:
- the inbound FA crew was excited about being able to stay "in the city" upon layovers; expect "experienced" FAs (for better of worse) on those flights.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2021 at 10:18 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts about JFK lounges and re-organization of terminals moved to the main UA / JFK thread as this thread is about the Inaugural Flights on 28 March 2021 and those discussions have been ongoing in the main UA / JFK thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.