Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ETCs now valid for 2 years(?), FFCs extended to 31 March 2022 (or at least 12 months)

ETCs now valid for 2 years(?), FFCs extended to 31 March 2022 (or at least 12 months)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 19, 21, 9:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Ticket Validity
Revised: February 24, 2021
(This extension replaces 24-month validity announced in 2020.)

The original ticket-issue date always determines the validity/expiration of a wholly unused ticket.
Even on exchanges, the original ticket-issue date still determines the ticket validity.

Wholly unused tickets originally issued May 1, 2019 to March 31, 2021 are valid through March 31, 2022. This extended validity does not apply to free travel authorization certificates (i.e., Jetstream fund travel certificates, etc.), miscellaneous charge orders/MCOs, electronic miscellaneous documents/EMDs, and other travel certificates

Wholly unused tickets originally issued on/after April 1, 2021 will be valid for 12 months from the original ticket-issue date.
Accessing Tickets
Tickets will remain active in our systems and ARC, BSP, and each GDS will recognize the ticket validity, making tickets accessible for you. GDSs can interact with Uniteds version of the eTicket using messaging as they do today.
  • The eTicket can be retrieved via the GDS as long as the ticket is in Uniteds system.
    • GDSs allow agencies to retrieve a ticket by ticket number without a live PNR.
      • You do not need to use the original PNR, but you can if its active.

For instructions on how to retrieve eTickets via your GDS, please contact your GDS Help Desk.

Refunds
Refunds for refundable tickets or ones that had a schedule change that qualifies for a refund must be submitted via ARC/BSP/GDS.
  • March 31, 2022 validity: Must be submitted by March 31, 2022. However, we recommend submitting the refund within 18 months of the original ticket-issue date for the most efficiency with credit card billing.
    • 12-month validity (tickets issued on/after April 1, 2021): Must be submitted within 12 months of the original ticket-issue date.

[Changes
  • Wholly unused ticket: Customers may apply a wholly unused ticket toward a ticket with a different date or city pair. The new ticket is subject to new fare rules and applicable add-collect.
    • Tickets issued May 1, 2019 - March 31, 2021: Travel must begin by March 31, 2022.
      • Tickets issued on/after April 1, 2021: Travel must begin by one year from date of original ticket issue.
    • Partially used ticket: Travel must be complete by 12 months from the outbound travel date.
      • Reminder: The original ticket-issue date always determines the validity/expiration of a wholly unused ticket - even on further exchanges. Example: A wholly unused ticket that was issued on December 1, 2020 is exchanged on April 4, 2021. This ticket validity of this wholly unused ticket is March 31, 2022 because the original ticket was issued on December 1, 2020.
        • See chart below for more details:

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 19, 21, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

David
Old Mar 19, 21, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What is new? ETCs have been 2 years for some time, nearly a year.

It does not appear existing ETCs have been extended any further
Old Mar 19, 21, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
What is new? ETCs have been 2 years for some time, nearly a year.

It does not appear existing ETCs have been extended any further
Didn't UA just announce the extension of FFC?
Old Mar 19, 21, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf View Post
Didn't UA just announce the extension of FFC?
Did they, where?
FFCs were originally 1 year, then 2 years for a short period in Spring 2020 and then when back to 1 year.

Going to the link in the posting
www.united.com/travelcredits

It seems to refer to ETC -- good 2 years from date issue, the existing policy and FFCs as 12 months, the existing policy. Nothing new.

Can not find the exact message posted but not finding anything new.

Has anyone since something new?
Old Mar 19, 21, 2:53 pm

Did they, where?
FFCs were originally 1 year, then 2 years for a short period in Spring 2020 and then when back to 1 year.

Going to the link in the posting
www.united.com/travelcredits

It seems to refer to ETC -- good 2 years from date issue, the existing policy and FFCs as 12 months, the existing policy. Nothing new.

Can not find the exact message posted but not finding anything new.

Has anyone since something new?
https://jetstream.united.com/#/sub-l...T00000EjRioUAF
Old Mar 19, 21, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
So this doesn't change the fly-by date, correct? I have a $4xx cert that expires now in May 2022, and a $5xx one in July 2022. In both cases the replacement flights will have to be complete prior to the May or July 2022 deadlines?
Old Mar 19, 21, 4:28 pm

I have just received the OP by email

The jetStream posting

Ticket Validity
Revised: February 24, 2021
(This extension replaces 24-month validity announced in 2020.)

The original ticket-issue date always determines the validity/expiration of a wholly unused ticket.
Even on exchanges, the original ticket-issue date still determines the ticket validity.

Wholly unused tickets originally issued May 1, 2019 to March 31, 2021 are valid through March 31, 2022. This extended validity does not apply to free travel authorization certificates (i.e., Jetstream fund travel certificates, etc.), miscellaneous charge orders/MCOs, electronic miscellaneous documents/EMDs, and other travel certificates

Wholly unused tickets originally issued on/after April 1, 2021 will be valid for 12 months from the original ticket-issue date.
Accessing Tickets
Tickets will remain active in our systems and ARC, BSP, and each GDS will recognize the ticket validity, making tickets accessible for you. GDSs can interact with United’s version of the eTicket using messaging as they do today.[/color]
  • The eTicket can be retrieved via the GDS as long as the ticket is in United’s system.
    • GDSs allow agencies to retrieve a ticket by ticket number without a live PNR.
      • You do not need to use the original PNR, but you can if it’s active.

For instructions on how to retrieve eTickets via your GDS, please contact your GDS Help Desk.

Refunds
Refunds for refundable tickets or ones that had a schedule change that qualifies for a refund must be submitted via ARC/BSP/GDS.
  • March 31, 2022 validity: Must be submitted by March 31, 2022. However, we recommend submitting the refund within 18 months of the original ticket-issue date for the most efficiency with credit card billing.
    • 12-month validity (tickets issued on/after April 1, 2021): Must be submitted within 12 months of the original ticket-issue date.

[Changes
  • Wholly unused ticket: Customers may apply a wholly unused ticket toward a ticket with a different date or city pair. The new ticket is subject to new fare rules and applicable add-collect.
    • Tickets issued May 1, 2019 - March 31, 2021: Travel must begin by March 31, 2022.
      • Tickets issued on/after April 1, 2021: Travel must begin by one year from date of original ticket issue.
    • Partially used ticket: Travel must be complete by 12 months from the outbound travel date.
      • Reminder: The original ticket-issue date always determines the validity/expiration of a wholly unused ticket - even on further exchanges. Example: A wholly unused ticket that was issued on December 1, 2020 is exchanged on April 4, 2021. This ticket validity of this wholly unused ticket is March 31, 2022 because the original ticket was issued on December 1, 2020.
        • See chart below for more details:

This Jetstream announcement is about FFC and specifically does not include ETCs (EMDs)
Old Mar 19, 21, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Craig6z View Post
So this doesn't change the fly-by date, correct? I have a $4xx cert that expires now in May 2022, and a $5xx one in July 2022. In both cases the replacement flights will have to be complete prior to the May or July 2022 deadlines?
ETC or FCC?

Have not seen any change on ETCs -- its expiration is book by.
Appears a couple weeks back FFCs were extended to 31 March 2022 -- that's a travel by date.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 21 at 9:44 pm
Old Mar 19, 21, 6:03 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
ETC or FCC?

Have not seen any change on ETCs -- its expiration is book by.
Appears a couple weeks back FFCs were extended to 31 March 2022 -- that's a travel by date.

Thanks - presume by the wording, they are ETC's:

Old Mar 19, 21, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Craig6z View Post
Thanks - presume by the wording, they are ETC's:
Correct.
Craig6z likes this.
Old Mar 19, 21, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Data point: My ETCs were already expiring in 2022. Still are. So no extensions on my ETCs. I have no FFCs.
Old Mar 20, 21, 9:21 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
I just received an email saying that:

"Ready to start planning your next trip?
We want you to get back to traveling on your own timeline, so we're making sure your future flight credit is there for you whenever the time is right. That's why we extended all future flight credits by another year until March 31, 2022, giving you plenty of time to book, plan and take your next trip.
Take advantage of your flight credit by booking a flight on or before March 31, 2022, for a trip within the next year. And now that our change fees are gone for good for most flights within the U.S., and between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean, you'll enjoy even more flexibility every time you fly.* You also won't pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. Visit united.com/travelcredits to learn how to use your future flight credit. "

So the (by me) underlined text says with an FFC you can book a flight until 03.31.22 for 2022 and not have to book and take a flight until 03.31.22. That's new and if true a good change.
Old Mar 20, 21, 6:07 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reduced the validity of some of my FFC's as best as I can tell.
Old Mar 20, 21, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
This reduced the validity of some of my FFC's as best as I can tell.
How??
The FFC are still a minimum of 12 months and this extends the life of some FFCs
Old Mar 21, 21, 4:43 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How??
The FFC are still a minimum of 12 months and this extends the life of some FFCs
I had FFC's that united.com showed were valid until August, 2022 (these were ticketed in August 2020 for travel in January 20201 and subsequently cancelled-- they were good for 2 years); this email came and now united.com shows them valid until March 31, 2022.

The reason (I surmise): They were RE-ticketed in August, 2020 from another ticket that apparently was older. I'm guessing I'm not the only one this happened to . . . I guess the computer went through and did a sweep.

Search this Thread