Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Vaccine Passport for United, will it happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaccine Passport for United, will it happen?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Some vaccine shot providers are doing full on medical records...particularly Sutter and Kaiser. Ms BlueZebra got her shots through Sutter, and I got mine through Kaiser. Both e mailed full medical documentation after the shots. And I am not a Kaiser member.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i ordered a 25pk of 'carte jaunes' from the GPO this morning. they're unsurprisingly on backorder.

if i get them anytime soon, i'll offer up my leftovers on the coupon connection giveaway thread.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:33 am

All vaccinations in the US are reported by the providers to their respective state and entered in to the state database. Perhaps at some point the official state records can be somehow be used to provide more formal verification than the current easily forged CDC card.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Most of the vaccine passport solutions I've read rely on your insurance company verifying you've gotten the vaccine - electronically sending that info to a clearinghouse. While the feds pay the vaccine, insurance companies still pay administrative costs.

You don't technically have to present an insurance card to get the vaccine - so if you didn't you'd potentially be out of luck in getting the vaccine passport.
Also, it appears that the Electronic Medical Information systems (at least Epic) are keeping authenticated COVID-19 vaccination entries in your vaccination record, and this is viewable from within the patient's MyChart (for Epic) client app. So I suppose this would be a way of authenticating vaccination status.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by physioprof
Also, it appears that the Electronic Medical Information systems (at least Epic) are keeping authenticated COVID-19 vaccination entries in your vaccination record, and this is viewable from within the patient's MyChart (for Epic) client app. So I suppose this would be a way of authenticating vaccination status.
My wife and I were vaccinated at a local Walgreens and my doctor indicated that it updates our hospital's information systems (running Epic). So the nationwide pharmacy chains have a hook into this system. And I assume there are others as well.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's certainly be worked on across multiple fronts: Next Frontier: Digital Passports Proof of Vaccination

I just hope there will be a way to convert the current CDC cards to something that can be used for travel.
I'm having a hard time seeing that being able to scale to large country like the US any time before the pandemic is under control.

Originally Posted by worldtrav
All vaccinations in the US are reported by the providers to their respective state and entered in to the state database. Perhaps at some point the official state records can be somehow be used to provide more formal verification than the current easily forged CDC card.
Vaccine passport provided by private or government entity? If we're looking to government say, Department of State, their track record on Next Gen passport have been unimpressive to say the least.

If private, then privacy concern would have to be worked out with all 50 states. Foreign government acceptance have to be secured.

Would approval/deny take place by airline (pre-boarding) or immigration (after flight)? That party will have to be integrated with the private provider to ensure authenticity.

That's just for the US. What about travelers in other countries? Similar steps will need to be taken in other countries.

By the time this is said and done, I would imagine significant numbers would already been vaccinated rendering the idea of a vaccine passport useless. That pretty much kills the private entity option.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:16 pm

This is an impossible dream. In the US, 2M vaccinations per day with little documentation other than a piece of paper. The vaccination rollout was optimized for speed of vaccination, not for secure validation after the fact. There is no way airlines can effectively require proof of vaccination
Dyce likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
Originally Posted by cheltzel
My wife and I were vaccinated at a local Walgreens and my doctor indicated that it updates our hospital's information systems (running Epic). So the nationwide pharmacy chains have a hook into this system. And I assume there are others as well.
​​​​​​​
For some reason, I was assured my Epic record would not reflect the vaccination at all. I don't think I prefer it doing so or not doing so, but I do think it gets to a good point jsloan made —

Originally Posted by jsloan
Mostly false. There are several different competing proposals, and there's zero immediate likelihood of universal adoption of any of them.

Furthermore, it's not really the airlines who need to agree, although their support is likely crucial as a practical matter. It's going to be the health ministries of various countries that want to open international flights more broadly who are going to need to agree on the format that they want to use.

At the risk of going off-topic, there's definitely no unanimity about requiring proof of vaccination in the first place. There's a very real chance that none of these initiatives ever actually takes off.
— that there's really no consensus, among the entities that matter, on what vaccination means for travel. This also makes it unlikely that any particular existing system will be converted into the reference for whatever vaccine certification, if any, is used for travel.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mahzor
The WHO yellow books require a doctor's signature and stamp
There is no control of who can obtain or fill out entries in the yellow book. Attempting to validate stamps or signatures would not work.
https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/i...organization-0
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Originally Posted by pfreet
This is an impossible dream. In the US, 2M vaccinations per day with little documentation other than a piece of paper. The vaccination rollout was optimized for speed of vaccination, not for secure validation after the fact. There is no way airlines can effectively require proof of vaccination
As a data point, I recently received the second shot at a vaccination facility run by a local hospital. When I log into my MyChart account associated with that hospital the records of both of my shots are there under "After Visit Summary". They look like this:

You were seen on Saturday March 6, 2021. The following issue was addressed: High priority for COVID-19 virus vaccination.

Immunizations Given

COVID-19 mRNA, LNP-S, PF 100 mcg/0.5 mL vaccine (Moderna)
I'd assume that my state's government would accept this as reasonable proof that I've been fully vaccinated.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
As a data point, I recently received the second shot at a vaccination facility run by a local hospital. When I log into my MyChart account associated with that hospital the records of both of my shots are there under "After Visit Summary".
The problem is that not everyone is getting the shot from their integrated care system. I had mine at a local pharmacy. They took my insurance card presumably so they would get reimbursed for the labor, but it doesn't show up in my insurance claims. The only reason it shows up in my electronic healthcare record is that I let my doctor's office know I had received it.

My guess is that travel restrictions won't be based on individual status other than validated testing results - not individual vaccine status. At some point when the source and destination country average vaccinated numbers exceed a certain level and assuming a new variant doesn't pop up that drives the spread or infection rates up, countries may relax their entry requirements.

I went ahead and booked a trip to the UK this fall along with non-refundable lodging deposits for 3 weeks. Bit of a bet at this point as I'd put the odds of no quarantine required on entry at no more than 50% right now. Should have a better view by summer. Given Kirby's recent statements on CNBC, I'm thinking fares and availability are going to tighten significantly if they haven't already.
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by Dyce
Does being vaccinated even make a difference to any entry requirements currently - is anywhere treating vaccinated travelers differently? (And by differently I just mean expedited entry, versus proving a recent negative test). Even if it does, electronic confirmation (i.e. a vaccine 'passport') is likely a future capability due to implementation challenges. Unfortunately given lack of cooperation and competing standards I don't see any widespread adoption of this until late this year at the earliest.

What is annoying currently is the requirement for taking tests prior to travel when already vaccinated.
A few days ago, Iceland announced that fully vaccinated tourists do not have to be tested or quarantined on entry. Seychelles announced a similar guidance in early February.
Dyce and Kmxu like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MMProfessor
A few days ago, Iceland announced that fully vaccinated tourists do not have to be tested or quarantined on entry. ....
However, USA vax cards are not presently accepted. Needs to be an EU or WHO certified data. This is the basic issue in much of this thread.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I had my 2nd yesterday and received this email from the California Dept. of Health this am:

Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Most of the vaccine passport solutions I've read rely on your insurance company verifying you've gotten the vaccine - electronically sending that info to a clearinghouse. While the feds pay the vaccine, insurance companies still pay administrative costs.

You don't technically have to present an insurance card to get the vaccine - so if you didn't you'd potentially be out of luck in getting the vaccine passport.
That strikes me as a really idiotic plan. At least in my state (TX), there are plenty of sites that are providing vaccines directly by the state/county and do not require insurance proof of any kind. My wife and I received our first dose of Pfizer yesterday, no insurance of any kind required. Everything provided by the State of Texas, using paramedics that were "on the clock." There will be hundred of thousands (millions?) of people vaccinated that way.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.