Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting 1K using credit card PQPs? PQF requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
https://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/cardmembers/
Earn toward Premier 1K® status in 2022: Members can now apply PQP earned through co-branded MileagePlus® credit cards toward Premier 1K status. Cardmembers must meet the Premier qualifying flight (PQF) requirement for 1K status. Cardmembers with the United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to Premier 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement.
Print Wikipost

Getting 1K using credit card PQPs? PQF requirements?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DerekM
... Is there is a restriction on using PQP from United credit card spend (up to 4,000 PQP) to hit the 15,000 PQP for 1K status?
In my case I will not likely hit the 36 PQF requirement, so if I achieved 12,000 PQP's from flying, and added 3,000 PQP from credit card spend (total 15,000 PQP) would this still give me 1K status?
As UA states
Earn toward Premier 1K® status in 2022: Members can now apply PQP earned through co-branded MileagePlus® credit cards toward Premier 1K status.
Cardmembers must meet the Premier qualifying flight (PQF) requirement for 1K status. Cardmembers with the United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to Premier 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement.
FYI, PresPlus cards have been unavailable for new cardholders for nearly 10 years.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Thinking of getting either a Quest or an Explorer card, but wanted confirmation - while the PQPs can be used to qualify for 1K status, you still have to hit 36 flights (PQS) for it to apply. In other words, you have to have 36 flights + 13,500 PQP (including CC bonus) or 15,000 PQP (without CC bonus).

(Sorry - if there's a MP CC thread for non-baggage benefits, mods please move)
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Thinking of getting either a Quest or an Explorer card, but wanted confirmation - while the PQPs can be used to qualify for 1K status, you still have to hit 36 flights (PQS) for it to apply. In other words, you have to have 36 flights + 13,500 PQP (including CC bonus) or 15,000 PQP (without CC bonus).
Correct

https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...h/cardmembers/
Earn toward Premier 1K® status in 2022: Members can now apply PQP earned through co-branded MileagePlus® credit cards toward Premier 1K status. Cardmembers must meet the Premier qualifying flight (PQF) requirement for 1K status. Cardmembers with the United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to Premier 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
BTW - any idea why the rationale for this 1K rule/limit? It's not like you can get to 1K just be churn on a card - you still need nearly platinum level PQP for even the most expensive card, and well more on the "lesser" cards. Do they want to prevent someone from taking a couple of Polaris TATL flights, spending a lot on a card, and hitting 1K (though they're happy to have someone spend on 3 TATL Polaris and get 1K . . .)
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
BTW - any idea why the rationale for this 1K rule/limit? It's not like you can get to 1K just be churn on a card - you still need nearly platinum level PQP for even the most expensive card, and well more on the "lesser" cards. Do they want to prevent someone from taking a couple of Polaris TATL flights, spending a lot on a card, and hitting 1K (though they're happy to have someone spend on 3 TATL Polaris and get 1K . . .)
I don't know, but it sure doesn't seem very competitive, considering that with AA loyalty points, all AA co-branded credit card spend counts towards status (including EXP). It seems to me that without revamping the entire program, UA could at least allow all credit card PQP to count towards 1K status, whether through PQF+PQP or PQP alone. Once you've reached Platinum, what is the incentive to keep spending on UA co-branded credit cards if you're not going to reach 36 PQFs? Wouldn't Chase also have an interest here?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Howard
I don't know, but it sure doesn't seem very competitive, considering that with AA loyalty points, all AA co-branded credit card spend counts towards status (including EXP). It seems to me that without revamping the entire program, UA could at least allow all credit card PQP to count towards 1K status, whether through PQF+PQP or PQP alone. Once you've reached Platinum, what is the incentive to keep spending on UA co-branded credit cards if you're not going to reach 36 PQFs? Wouldn't Chase also have an interest here?
It's not quite perfectly competitive but AA does not give SWUs when earning status purely from credit card spend. Need 30 flight segments. At least with UA, 4 flight segments and a bunch of money on actual flights gives you all the rewards like Plus points, etc.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by VWang1111
It's not quite perfectly competitive but AA does not give SWUs when earning status purely from credit card spend. Need 30 flight segments. At least with UA, 4 flight segments and a bunch of money on actual flights gives you all the rewards like Plus points, etc.
But if you're not flying UA much, why throw spend toward these cards vs. other airlines that you're already flying?

David
chavala likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Yes, but C class is often available for AA upgrades, whereas PZ class is almost never available for UA upgrades.

Originally Posted by DELee
But if you're not flying UA much, why throw spend toward these cards vs. other airlines that you're already flying?
David
It depends what you mean by "much". You could fly up to 35 segments on UA (more than the 30 that AA requires) and still not have the credit card PQP count towards 1K status.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard
It depends what you mean by "much". You could fly up to 35 segments on UA (more than the 30 that AA requires) and still not have the credit card PQP count towards 1K status.
Much (https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...cardmembers/):

earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year
To earn 3000 PQPs, credit card spend has to be at least 3000 / 500 = 6 x $12,000 = $72,000. Max per calendar year is 5000 PQPs = $120,000. across all cards besides PrezPlus.

If UA is one's "home" airline, earning 3000 PQPs or 5000 PQPs would be far easier by flying as well as earning PQPs if purchasing tix with UA Chase cards while also picking up PQFs.

To each their own.

David
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:03 pm

To earn 3000 PQPs, credit card spend has to be at least 3000 / 500 = 6 x $12,000 = $72,000. Max per calendar year is 5000 PQPs = $120,000. across all cards besides PrezPlus.

If UA is one's "home" airline, earning 3000 PQPs or 5000 PQPs would be far easier by flying as well as earning PQPs if purchasing tix with UA Chase cards while also picking up PQFs.
Very plausible spends for a small business owner
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As well as many households now. That doesn't mean that PQP earning toward a small business owner or household person making it to 1K needs to the main determination/factor on using UA Chase cards.

David
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Much (https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...cardmembers/):

To each their own.

David
As well as many households now. That doesn't mean that PQP earning toward a small business owner or household person making it to 1K needs to the main determination/factor on using UA Chase cards.

David
If I could pay my mortgage on the UA Club Card I would. In 2020, I dropped 30K down on a (factory order) vehicle with my UACC. Haggling with the dealer on that was fun. Kind of boxed them into a corner they couldn't get out of.

We've used the card to pay for home improvements, etc. so yes, it's not hard for a family to hit that kind of spend.

I've got ~4K more PQP to make 1K this year and don't see it happening even hitting the max allowed on card spend. ;-(
Old Sep 15, 2022, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We're at $180k YD on my Quest card. (And another $25k on an Amex.) Depending on the industry it is very easy to spend a lot of money very fast on a credit card for a business.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
CC PQP

I have requalified for 1k via the $15k spend route back in June.

i have the UA credit cards (Infinite personal and Business) can I use spend on these to hit the PQP Pluspoints bonus e.g 20PP at 21k ?

trying to work out what to do For the rest of this year
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
i have the UA credit cards (Infinite personal and Business) can I use spend on these to hit the PQP Pluspoints bonus e.g 20PP at 21k ?
Per UA
Like in the 2021 program year, PQP earned from your MileagePlus credit card will not count toward extra PlusPoints after reaching Premier 1K, but it can help you qualify for Premier 1K status which earns +280 PlusPoints.* In order to earn extra PlusPoints after reaching 1K status, you must earn 17,000 PQP to qualify for an additional +20 PlusPoints.

*Among United MileagePlus credit cards, only PQP earned from United℠ Presidential Plus℠ and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Cards count toward extra PlusPoints after 1K status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.