Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA status flying 4 business class RTs with TAP - J fare (TAP's mistake fare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning UA status flying 4 business class RTs with TAP - J fare (TAP's mistake fare)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
How much of an error? Quite a bit of one.

When the price is very low, there is just no advantage to calling the airline's attention to it.
Bookings were made via OTA. TAP's rep didn't have access to ticketing costs. I received a verbal confirmation of my booking and that was it. TAP outsources most of their customer support and I don't think the agent had any idea of what I was talking about.

Are you saying on one hand they are evaluating the losses to make a decision of honoring the fares or not and on the other one, they don't know about it?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For more on the (now dead?) US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz and a few other duplicate threads (TAP Forum) Cheap RT Business Fares to Europe

Best for discussion of if TAP will honor or release more inventory in those threads, UA is not involved in anyway on those issues.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
cfischer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFreeYupie
Bookings were made via OTA. TAP's rep didn't have access to ticketing costs. I received a verbal confirmation of my booking and that was it. TAP outsources most of their customer support and I don't think the agent had any idea of what I was talking about.

Are you saying on one hand they are evaluating the losses to make a decision of honoring the fares or not and on the other one, they don't know about it?
You may well be fine. There is uncertainty about what TP will do, but you definitely don't increase your chances of flying by asking someone to poke around in your reservation. At best, it has no effect, but at worst it gets flagged for whatever review they may do.

Maybe getting a little off topic here (better for mileage run discussion forum).

Anyway, good luck, be happy you snagged a great deal, and just keep an eye out for potential cancellation.
SPN Lifer, Repooc17 and s777bg like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you're ready to travel now, you can also load up on PQP with the 2x PQP promo currently available through to the end of March. That would get you the 4x UA segments you need and some extra PQP's to make up the difference
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david_oz
If you're ready to travel now, you can also load up on PQP with the 2x PQP promo currently available through to the end of March. That would get you the 4x UA segments you need and some extra PQP's to make up the difference
This is extremely helpful to know! And finally I understand what those bonus entries are on my MileagePlus account.

Once you reach a status with UA, do they have better terms for keeping it for the upcoming year? Or it's the same requirements for everyone?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Once you reach a status with UA, do they have better terms for keeping it for the upcoming year? Or it's the same requirements for everyone?
All earnings reset on January 1 each year for everyone.

Is UA going to lower qualification requirements for a 3rd straight year next year? Way too early to tell, but I doubt it. Will goodwill adjustments, PQP bonuses return? Likewise.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The first rule of FT: do not call the airline!
The first rule of Flight Club is: you do not talk about Flight Club or something like that.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If an airline wants to cancel your reservation, are they legally bond to do so under a certain time frame? Or can they cancel up to the day of departure? EC261 would apply in this case, but disregarding that, can they still do it?
As requested earlier, cancellation of the mistake fare is a discussion for the TAP forum or the original premium fare deals thread. Not a UA issue, we try to segregate issues to appropriate forums to avoid multiple threads on the same topic -- plus you know where to go for most topics.

Move multiple posts to TAP US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz -- Will TAP honor these fares?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by david_oz
Isn’t it only 1.5x PQP for non-premiers? Assuming the OP is not a UA elite. I thought 2x was only for current premier members?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Isn’t it only 1.5x PQP for non-premiers? Assuming the OP is not a UA elite. I thought 2x was only for current premier members?
That is correct.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

Here's a pre-filled calculator with 15 of the 16 legs. I skipped the last AMS-LIS leg because I ran out of space: https://pqp.economiles.com/?q=IAD,LI...J|LIS,IAD,TP,J

Add that last leg in, and you're looking at 7,828 PQP total.

I never thought the calculator would need more than 15 segments! Maybe I'll add more rows in there.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I never thought the calculator would need more than 15 segments! Maybe I'll add more rows in there.
Not sure it should be giving the 1K bonus for TAP flights. Might be a bug...
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the maximum number of segments on a single ticket would be 16. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it -- I doubt most people get anywhere near that many. It really only came up because you (quite thoughtfully) used query parameters for the input values, making it easy for me to embed a link with all of these trips together on a single page.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by skylane
Not sure it should be giving the 1K bonus for TAP flights. Might be a bug...
You're absolutely correct! Thank you. I'll fix that soon.

Originally Posted by jsloan
the maximum number of segments on a single ticket would be 16. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it -- I doubt most people get anywhere near that many. It really only came up because you (quite thoughtfully) used query parameters for the input values, making it easy for me to embed a link with all of these trips together on a single page.
I'll bump it up to 16 then Yeah I thought giving an easy option to copy the itin would be nice.

Edit:site updated

Also updated: TAP is not honoring the error fare, so OP's tickets will be cancelled.

Last edited by kevflyer; Mar 5, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Also updated: TAP is not honoring the error fare, so OP's tickets will be cancelled.
1 reservation out of 4 got cancelled. Unsure if it's just a matter of time, but I can say goodbye to my gold status with United :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.