Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 3, 21, 6:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 25, 22, 6:30 pm
  #331  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer View Post
Will the long haul HI routes be aligned with the Polaris offering, or will be be more like the premium transcon offering?
Nothing that's been announced/seen recently takes any UA route to a higher level than pre-pandemic, but you expect long-haul Hawaii to be somehow treated differently/better? . Long-haul Hawaii will not be treated like Polaris - little competition on routes. UA has competitors on NY-California routes, hence the beefed up offering. Good catering on long-haul Hawaii went out with Continental in 2012 (and was already on downward path). One might expect warm nuts again - eventually. Long-haul Hawaii will continue to be domestic First food with an extra meal due to length and a snack basket.

It's kind of sad that we're excited about UA getting back to pre-pandemic levels of feeding the passengers, but the food itself hasn't shown itself to be getting back to pre-pandemic "quality". I guess that's something else we can (separately) look forward to in the future. On the other hand, maybe UA will surprise us w/ better food on June 1 coincidental with the expanded catering, too. My guess is UA can only do one thing at a time

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 25, 22 at 7:08 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 7:01 pm
  #332  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 3,318
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Nothing that's been announced/seen recently takes any UA route to a higher level than pre-pandemic, but you expect long-haul Hawaii to be somehow treated differently/better? . Long-haul Hawaii will not be treated like Polaris - little competition on routes. UA has competitors on NY-California routes, hence the beefed up offering. Good catering on long-haul Hawaii went out with Continental in 2012 (and was already on downward path). One might expect warm nuts again - eventually. Long-haul Hawaii will continue to be domestic First food with an extra meal due to length and a snack basket.
Lots of inaccuracies here:

What "beefed up offering" on PTS? There is none currently.
Warm nuts have already been restored.
Long-haul Hawaii meals have more closely resembled Polaris meals vs. domestic F or PTS J over the past 2 years - for example: fish and beef entrees.
rch4u is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 7:13 pm
  #333  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
Lots of inaccuracies here:

What "beefed up offering" on PTS? There is none currently.
Warm nuts have already been restored.
Long-haul Hawaii meals have more closely resembled Polaris meals vs. domestic F or PTS J over the past 2 years - for example: fish and beef entrees.
I'm saying eventually, UA will restore to pre-pandemic p.s. catering. I fly long-haul Hawaii almost monthly - the catering is EXACTLY the same as domestic F with the mid-flight burger/asian noodles added because of flight length. Last week Tuesday HNL-SFO on a 737 breakfast was exactly the same as breakfast IAH-HNL and EWR-HNL. It is not Polaris catering.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 7:16 pm
  #334  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Houston, TX
Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Nothing that's been announced/seen recently takes any UA route to a higher level than pre-pandemic, but you expect long-haul Hawaii to be somehow treated differently/better? . Long-haul Hawaii will not be treated like Polaris - little competition on routes. UA has competitors on NY-California routes, hence the beefed up offering. Good catering on long-haul Hawaii went out with Continental in 2012 (and was already on downward path). One might expect warm nuts again - eventually. Long-haul Hawaii will continue to be domestic First food with an extra meal due to length and a snack basket.

It's kind of sad that we're excited about UA getting back to pre-pandemic levels of feeding the passengers, but the food itself hasn't shown itself to be getting back to pre-pandemic "quality". I guess that's something else we can (separately) look forward to in the future. On the other hand, maybe UA will surprise us w/ better food on June 1 coincidental with the expanded catering, too. My guess is UA can only do one thing at a time
The bolded is inaccurate. It has been premium transcon food during the pandemic, not domestic F food. Many of the entrees (the beef, and the breakfast options), have also been in Polaris

See this breakfast post from Syf/SFO in Polaris. The quiche is the EXACT same thing that was served for breakfast on my Dec IAH/HNL flight. The other option was french toast, same french toast that has been served in Polaris

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34270120-post579.html

As for west coast to Hawaii, it has been receiving the same product as the premium transcon routes in terms of food (and I believe amenity kits). Same first meals and same cheese tray prior to landing

Last edited by Unitedloyalflyer; May 25, 22 at 7:23 pm
Unitedloyalflyer is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 7:23 pm
  #335  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer View Post
The bolded is inaccurate. It has been premium transcon food during the pandemic, not domestic F food. Many of the entrees (the beef, and the breakfast options), have also been in Polaris
OK - then Polaris=Hawaii=Domestic. So, Polaris breakfast is 1) egg bites w/ sausage or 2) French toast (one piece of bread, quartered), a little aluminum cup of sugar/butter, maple flavor, both with croissant, yogurt, a couple of pieces of fruit, then yes, Hawaii is same as Polaris and domestic F. I've had the exact same breakfasts on two domestic and two long-haul Hawaii flights in last 3 weeks. It appears Polaris, domestic F, and long-haul Hawaii are getting the exact same breakfasts.

Think of it this way - Polaris has been getting domestic F meals during the pandemic. You surely don't think Hawaii has been upgraded to Polaris meals, do you? Hawaii meals have stayed the same - Polaris meals have suffered the downgrade. As service recovers, hopefully Polaris meals will get back to what they were, as will p.s.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 25, 22 at 7:36 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 7:58 pm
  #336  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,873
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

Think of it this way - Polaris has been getting domestic F meals during the pandemic. You surely don't think Hawaii has been upgraded to Polaris meals, do you? Hawaii meals have stayed the same - Polaris meals have suffered the downgrade. As service recovers, hopefully Polaris meals will get back to what they were, as will p.s.
The Hawaii meals are in my opinion are about as bad as you can get. They'd be better off not bothering with a meal just as Southwest does on the Hawaii flights it is so bad. I plan appropriately either by bringing something with me onto the plane or eat before the flight.
HNLbasedFlyer is online now  
Old May 28, 22, 5:03 pm
  #337  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: United currently plat
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Nothing that's been announced/seen recently takes any UA route to a higher level than pre-pandemic, but you expect long-haul Hawaii to be somehow treated differently/better? . Long-haul Hawaii will not be treated like Polaris - little competition on routes. UA has competitors on NY-California routes, hence the beefed up offering. Good catering on long-haul Hawaii went out with Continental in 2012 (and was already on downward path). One might expect warm nuts again - eventually. Long-haul Hawaii will continue to be domestic First food with an extra meal due to length and a snack basket.
Don't you feel that Hawaii routes (ex-California) have had service enhanced as compared to pre-covid? The meals seem to be route specific and better than domestic FC, to me. I don't really remember that level of catering between HNL-LAX/SFO in F.

Also UA has a competitor in HA ex California, running mostly A330 with their (crappy/small cabin) lie-flats vs a good chance of 737/753 on UA.

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer View Post
The bolded is inaccurate. It has been premium transcon food during the pandemic, not domestic F food. Many of the entrees (the beef, and the breakfast options), have also been in Polaris

See this breakfast post from Syf/SFO in Polaris. The quiche is the EXACT same thing that was served for breakfast on my Dec IAH/HNL flight. The other option was french toast, same french toast that has been served in Polaris

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34270120-post579.html

As for west coast to Hawaii, it has been receiving the same product as the premium transcon routes in terms of food (and I believe amenity kits). Same first meals and same cheese tray prior to landing
This is exactly in line with my experience, especially ex-West Coast.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 22 at 5:57 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
evol is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:17 pm
  #338  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by evol View Post
Don't you feel that Hawai‘i routes (ex-California) have had service enhanced as compared to pre-covid?....
I fly between Hawaii and West Coast monthly. The only enhancement since pre-Covid was the use of Polaris-equipped planes (mainly due to grounding of PW 772s and availability of the Polaris a/c). That's going away as the 772s come back and Polaris planes moved back to int'l. After a year of enjoying Polaris seats, I was on 737s last two times between West Coast and HNL. Still remains to be seen what happens with the long-haul HI a/c routes normally 777HD (DEN/IAH/ORD). The inflight food quality is definitely down since pre-covid and FAs prefer you take offered OJ or water PDB instead of asking what you want.

There are/were a couple of extra routes (EWR-OGG, ORD-KOA).
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:26 pm
  #339  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: United currently plat
Posts: 149
thanks

Last edited by evol; May 28, 22 at 6:09 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
evol is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 5:37 pm
  #340  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by evol View Post
This is exactly in line with my experience, especially ex-West Coast.
Hawaii food ex-West Coast has not been upgraded. If the food is the same between Hawaii and West Coast and Premium Transcon, it's because the Premium Transcon food has been downgraded. I've only been flying monthly between the west Coast and Hawaii since 2012. I think I've observed what's been paced in front of me.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old May 28, 22, 8:37 pm
  #341  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,873
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I fly between Hawaii and West Coast monthly.
Im also monthly or more and if the service is enhanced they missed the memo on my flights or it was a sorry state of an enhancement. My next enhancement is June 7.
HNLbasedFlyer is online now  
Old May 29, 22, 1:06 pm
  #342  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DEN/OGG
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I fly between Hawaii and West Coast monthly. The only enhancement since pre-Covid was the use of Polaris-equipped planes (mainly due to grounding of PW 772s and availability of the Polaris a/c). That's going away as the 772s come back and Polaris planes moved back to int'l. After a year of enjoying Polaris seats, I was on 737s last two times between West Coast and HNL. Still remains to be seen what happens with the long-haul HI a/c routes normally 777HD (DEN/IAH/ORD). The inflight food quality is definitely down since pre-covid and FAs prefer you take offered OJ or water PDB instead of asking what you want.

There are/were a couple of extra routes (EWR-OGG, ORD-KOA).
worst part of these 737 is the lack of internet. Followed by the worn out seats. I only take those on day flights to mainland
Plane-is-home is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 11:41 am
  #343  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,873
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post

No change in premium transcontinental or Hawaii menus.
Of course no change in the Hawaii menus - some of the worst in the system.
HNLbasedFlyer is online now  
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:14 pm
  #344  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,516
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Of course no change in the Hawaii menus - some of the worst in the system.
On this we certainly agree. I find the catering ex-HNL used to be my favorite, but that chicken katsu is terrible and the tofu option even worse.
PanAmWT likes this.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 8:39 pm
  #345  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,108
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Of course no change in the Hawaii menus - some of the worst in the system.
Can't agree. Have you tried the past year's non-Hawaii offering? The Hawaii catering is better even than some Polaris catering.



Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
I'm in the minority that things the ragu with polenta has been the best thing in circulation for a while. So I'd welcome that! (everything's relative of course, but as others have said, this is an airline meal, not a gourmet restaurant).



Yes, there's always someone who can object to anything, and with legitimate reason too. But faux-meat products are designed to be exactly that, which is unappealing to most vegetarians I know (not all) but appealing to meat eaters who are trying to cut down (again, not all). And that's what they are going for. Even if you're doing a burger, there are so many great ways to make a veggie burger without having to make it seem like meat.

Here's a good veggie burger: https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com...burger-recipe/
The ragu was blah, monotonous, and way too light, so from me good riddance. Without having eaten beforehand, it was totally inadequate as a meal. I'd be amazed if it was more than 500 kcal.

On the latter point though fully agreed. I don't mind the impossible stuff, but a true veg options would be better.
fumje is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread